Sucrose 0.85.2 Release Notes
This is the second development release in the 0.86 release cycle - see the 0.86/Roadmap#Schedule for more details. We are getting closer to the feature freeze and a few features have been landed in this release. Please test them carefully and report any bug and workflow issues you find to get them in good shape for the release. A friendly BugSquad will be available to triage those bugs accordingly and the developers can never have enough bug food. If you have non-bug feedback about features you can use the sugar-devel mailing list to share it with us.
From a user point of view we want to highlight the following changes that have been made:
Activity Toolbar redesign
The activity toolbar has been redesigned, since the design of using tabs to group options, an activity can have, did not turn out to work so well. More details about the Features/New_Toolbar_Design. The redesign gives a solution for the "stop activity issue" pointed out in #452.
Switch to Metacity window manager
Sugar switches the window manager from Matchbox to Metacity. Matchbox is designed for small devices that run all applications maximized. Sugar can run in devices with bigger screens and some applications break when run in Matchbox. Using Metacity instead means that some unsugarized apps would run better inside Sugar and that Sugar activities would behave better when run outside Sugar.
Tabs in Browse
Links that would open in a new window now open in new tabs inside the main activity window similar to the behavior in other browsers. Though this feature isn't proposing any way for the user to explicitly open any link in a new tab, or explicitly create a new tab.
Ad hoc Networking
The new ad hoc networking facilities allows users to connect with each other over wireless in an ad hoc manner without infrastructure like an Access Point. This is the so called under a tree scenario. OLPC provided that functionality based on hardware mesh. This feature allows to provide that functionality with nearly all the wireless hardware. Furthermore it allows you to do share an internet connection using the same mechanism.
Gnash has been added to the Sugar Platform, meaning that authors of educative content can use Flash tools to create activities for Sugar.
Thanks everyone for your great contributions!
There are no known compatibility issues, as of today.
Update to this version
Please use the instructions for your distribution (Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian etc) of choice to upgrade to this release.
- sugar-toolkit 0.85.3
- sugar 0.85.3
- sugar-artwork 0.85.2
- sugar-base 0.85.2
- sugar-datastore 0.84.0
- sugar-presence-service 0.85.1
- etoys 4.0.2229
- restores Rainbow support, meaning that you can try and give feedback after installing Rainbow.
- Fix naming of entries with unknown extensions (silbe) #1040
- Fix support of Journal entry bundles (.xoj) #1098
- Abort if there is an error when retrieving activities (silbe) #1059
- Dont reinstall bundle if its already installed (silbe) #1053
- update mime type db when a new activity is copied to ~/Activities #955
- md5 and sha module will be deprecated in python 2.6 #266
- Switch to Metacity as the window manager. #602
- Refactor journal to use a gtk.TreeView
- Refactor activity list view to use a gtk.TreeView
- More meaningful screenshot titles (James Zaki) #650
- Support for creating wireless ad-hoc networks
- Add fullscreen option to the emulator and change default size to 800x600 (Sascha Silbe) #565
- Features/New_Toolbar_Design - Added new ToolbarBox and ToolbarButton widget
- make the unfullscreen go away after a timeout #
- update mime type db when a new activity is copied to ~/Activities #
- md5 and sha module will be deprecated in python 2.6 #
- cross activity toolbar icons
- broadcasting buddy tags to the connection managers that support it (gabble at the moment)
- re-add lost po/sugar-base.pot
- updated translations: bn, de, el, ko
- fix demo project resolutions
- add setup.py to please packagers
- avoid black screen flashing when switching projects
- set activity window title to project name
- split over-long "geometry" category
- better keyboard event handling in scripts
- various fixes
- read 70
- chat 62
- terminal 21
- imageviewer 5
- jukebox 6
- turtleart 60
- browse 110
- etoys 99
- write 63
- calculate 28
- log 16
- pippy 25
- Features/New_Toolbar_Design - Adopt to the new activity toolbar design
- Features/Tabs_In_Browse - New pages will open in a new tab similarly to other browsers. Though this feature isn't proposing any way for the user to explicitly open any link in a new tab.
- fixed sharing bug
- began 701 backward compatibility work
- more debugging code
- support for Epub files
Fructose dependencies News
- Tabs support