Difference between revisions of "Activities/Toaster"
m (openhatch renamed)
(adding wishlist page)
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
=== wiki pages ===
=== wiki pages ===
Revision as of 22:28, 5 June 2010
Our goal is to allow any XO user or XO in book (even kiosk) mode to select and create:
- USB sticks (such as Sugar on a Stick soas-2-blueberry.iso)
- a CD or DVD disc from an .iso image if the necessary hardware is available
We will use as simple a user interface as possible for use even as a kiosk. We plan to do extensive compatibility testing on XO 1.0 and 1.5 hardware as well as on builds which are already deployed. An important part of making this activity successful will be implementing methods that are usable on as wide a hardware and software user base as possible.
This activity is not yet functional.
Much work has been done elsewhere on USB sticks. A CD or DVD drive connected via USB is required to create discs using the XO hardware. Collaboration is encouraged as we get the project going. You can provide input here, as bug reports or as code. Inspiration for this project derives from the Freedom Toaster and other similar projects. An application is being prepared for the contributors program as described in this blog post.
Email list: http://groups.google.com/group/xotoaster/ <- please subscribe if interested in helping
Wiki: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Activities/Toaster&action=edit <- edits this page
Theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrF_K1w2haE
other open source software
- usb-creator: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator
- Trisquel and many other Sugar distributions are developing similar features but not that I have seen at the activity level.
- possible naming confusion (we are Toaster) with Trisquel on a Sugar Toast http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
- K3b: http://k3b.org/
- Brasero: http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/
- cdrkit: http://www.cdrkit.org/ includes wodim binary
- cdwrite.sh: http://rww.name/scripts/cdwrite.sh
- 'buntustand: https://launchpad.net/buntustand