Our goal is to allow any XO user or XO in book mode (even as a kiosk) to select and create:
- USB sticks (such as Sugar on a Stick v3 Mirabelle available 2010 May 25th for download) Instructions are available as a Creation Kit
- a CD or DVD disc from an .iso image if an external drive is connected
We will use as simple a user interface as possible for use semi-unattended as a kiosk. We plan to do extensive compatibility testing on XO 1.0 and 1.5 hardware as well as on builds which are already deployed. An important part of making this activity successful will be implementing methods that are usable on as wide a hardware and software user base as possible.
This activity is not yet functional.
There are many ways to create USB sticks and much work has been done that we can use. Creating a CD or DVD is relatively simple with connected hardware. Collaboration is encouraged as we get the project going. You can provide input here, as bug reports or as code. Inspiration for this project comes from many similar projects to share free and open source software.
Email list: http://groups.google.com/group/xotoaster/ <- please subscribe if interested in helping
Wiki: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Toaster <- here
IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=toaster or your own client in #toaster
Distribution : http://activities.sugarlabs.org/ when we are ready
Theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrF_K1w2haE
our wiki pages
other open source software
- Sugar Creation Kit DVD - excellent reference for us
- SoaS Sugar Clone shell scripts
- usb-creator: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator (Fedora recommended for Fedora Linux)
- UNetbootin (Fedora recommended for other Linux)
- uses syslinux
- Trisquel and many other Sugar distributions are developing similar features but not that I have seen at the activity level.
- possible naming confusion (we are Toaster) with Trisquel on a Sugar Toast http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
- K3b: http://k3b.org/
- Brasero: http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/
- cdrkit: http://www.cdrkit.org/ includes wodim binary
- cdwrite.sh: http://rww.name/scripts/cdwrite.sh
- 'buntustand: https://launchpad.net/buntustand
- Freedom Toaster inspired our Activity's name