Difference between revisions of "Activities/Typing Turtle"
Revision as of 17:21, 21 February 2010
Typing Turtle is available from the Sugar Labs Activity Library: http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4026.
Typing Turtle is an interactive touch typing program. It gradually introduces the keys on the keyboard through a series of lessons, until the student has learned the entire keyboard. Skills are reinforced with typing games.
Screenshots can be found at the Activity page.
- An on-screen keyboard with overlaid hand positions shows the correct way to press each key, encouraging good typing habits.
- Automatically picks up and uses the system's keyboard layout.
- You can make your own lessons, and send them to students or friends.
- A balloon game provides an entertaining way to gain skill.
- Medals are awarded as the user completes the lessons. Gold is for the best accuracy and speed, followed by Silver and Bronze.
Localizing Typing Turtle
As with any other Sugar activity, Typing Turtle is translated using [translate.sugarlabs.org Pootle]. Pootle displays the translatable strings from the newest version of the activity and allows them to be translated into a different language. When translations are saved, the author is notified and will then release a new version to activities.sugarlabs.org with the new translations.
Typing Turtle's lesson content is too complex to be translated the same way, and must be created from scratch for each language and keyboard layout. Use the lesson editor feature to create a new set of lessons for your language and keyboard layout, export the lessons to the Journal, and email them to the author. They will be included in the next version.