Activity Team/Git FAQ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Help! I suddenly can't connect to Gitorious!
- The OSUOSL, which hosts Gitorious, has an aggressive IP blacklist policy. If you once were able to push but now cannot, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that your IP be removed from the blacklist.
How do I create an account on git.sugarlabs.org?
- Register using the link on the upper right menu on the Home Page.
How do I migrate a project to git.sugarlabs.org?
- Please follow the instructions here to first set up your project's entry in Gitorious.
How do I create a new project?
- First set up the project in gitorious as per above.
- Go to your project directory and type:
git add * git commit -a git remote add origin email@example.com:[your project name]/mainline.git git push origin master
- Hence forth, just use:
git commit git push
- You can also use
git commit -a -m "I am the commit message"
- to avoid opening an editor.
How do I create a fork of an existing project?
- Click on the Repositories Tab of the project page in Gitorious. Click on "Mainline". A link will appear on the right-hand side of the page saying, "Clone repository".
- Note: if you (as maintainer) are making a clone to replace a corrupted mainline on your local machine, you'll need to:
- and update [remote] section
git config remote.origin.url firstname.lastname@example.org:yourproject/mainline.git
- in the .git/config file, you may have to change:
[remote "origin"] url = git://git.sugarlabs.org/yourproject/yourbranch.git
[remote "origin"] url = email@example.com:yourproject/yourbranch.git
How do I request a merge?
- Click on the Repositories Tab of the project page in Gitorious. Click on "Mainline". A link will appear on the right-hand side of the page saying, "Request merge".
How do I add a committer?
- Click on the Repositories Tab of the project page in Gitorious. Click on "Mainline". A link will appear on the right-hand side of the page saying, "Add Committer".
How do I get translations for my project?
- Use the gettext mechanism for your stings.
python setup.py genpotto generate a .pot file for your project.
- Fill a ticket requesting that your POT file be added to Pootle. Assign the ticket to "Localization".
- Add User Pootle to the list of committers on your project.
What if my project has a binary blob?
- You may have to use the --force flag.
git push -fv
How do I stay in sync with translations being pushed from the Pootle server?
- Periodically—in my experience, on Fridays—updates to the project .po files are pushed from the Localization team.
git-pullto periodically pull these updates to the local copy of your project.
- Also, run
python setup.py fix_manifestto update the .mo files after updating the .po files
- Note: After every major release, a new branch is created on the Pootle server, e.g., Fructose-0.82 and Fructose-0.84. The Localization team may push translations to any or all of the corresponding branches of your project. Changes to your master branch are not necessarily intended for the release branches.
How do I update the Tag field in Gitorious?
git tag -m "Release 36" v36 HEAD git push --tags
As a maintainer, how do I merge a patch?
- git-pull does a combination of fetch and merge, so to merge a patch...
git pull git://git.sugarlabs.org/myproject/myproject-clone.git master
How do I select which branch I am working on?
git checkout master
git checkout sucrose-0.84
How do I merge changes from master into a branch?
git checkout sucrose-0.84 git rebase master
How do I generate a patch?
git diff > blah.patch
diff -rup [old] [new]
git format-patch HEAD^
It is preferable that you generate your patch from the root directory of your project.
How do I send a patch to the developers?
git send-email --firstname.lastname@example.org 0001*.patch
You may need to install git-mail:
sudo yum -y install git-email