Difference between revisions of "Education Team/Education Bibliographies"
|Line 157:||Line 157:|
* Battro, A. [http://wiki.laptop.org/go/PASS Reflections and actions concerning a globalized education].
* Battro, A. [http://wiki.laptop.org/go/PASS Reflections and actions concerning a globalized education].
Revision as of 08:20, 24 October 2008
The following selected bibliographical links have some connection with the Sugar enterprise and Constructionist education, including information on uses of a variety of technologies in education, research on child development (especially Constructivism), and evaluations of programs in use. Resources are also included bearing on other approaches to education, and resistance to Constructionism or to any other education reforms.
- Internet-Based Distance Education Bibliography (1997-1999) The American Center for the Study of Distance Education (ACSDE), The Pennsylvania State University, College of Education
- Distance Education Bibliography Center for the Virtual University, University of Maryland University College
- Distance Learning Bibliography George Mason University
- SEYMOUR PAPERT & CONSTRUCTIONISM
- Community Space and Cyberspace Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
- Using Logo in the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics: a research bibliography (PDF)
- Constructivism in Mathematics Education The Mathematical Association of America
- Learning in MarketPlace: Economic Objects to Think With and Talk About by Greg Alan Kimberly
- Mindgames Games and Learning Resources at Michigan State University
- Vygotsky's Constructivism
- Visible Knowledge Project
- Lev Vygotsky Archive
- CiteULike search
- Wikipedia bibliography for Jerome Bruner
- Jerome Bruner
- The Nature of Constructionist Learning MIT Open Courseware
- Saul Rockman reports on laptops in schools
- CARET article reviews (Center for Applied Research in Educational Technology. Covers 1997-2003.
In no particular order. This can use a lot of cleanup, particularly sorting and adding reference links where available. If anybody wants to supply full bibliographic details, the rest of us will be very grateful.
- Carlos Cárdenas, 2008 "Usability Test for Sugar OS into Classmate, OLPC, Laptop" from Perú.
- "Laptops in School — A Wonderfully Cautionary Tale" by Gary S. Stager
- Judith A. McLaughlin Bibliography of the Works of Jean Piaget in the Social Sciences (1988).
- Constructionism in practice: Designing, thinking and learning in a digital world. Hillsdale , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Papert, S. (1991). '"Situating constructivism". In I. Harel & S. Papert (Eds.), Constructionism: Research reports and essays, 1985-1990 . Norwood , NJ : Ablex.
- Papert, S. (1993). The children ‘ s machine: Rethinking school in the age of the computer. New York : Basic Books.
- Berger, P. & T. Luckmann (1967) The social construction of reality. London: Penguin.
- Fosnot, Catherine Twomey, ed. Constructivism: Theory, Perspectives, & Practice. New York: Teachers College Press, 1996.
- Wilson, Brent G., ed. Constructivist Learning Environments: Case Studies in Instructional Design. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Educational Technology Publications, 1996.
- The Institute for Learning Technologies: Pedagogy for the 21st Century. Institute for Learning Technologies Teachers College · Columbia University November 1999 (Links to PDF)
- HAREL, I. and PAPERT, S. (eds) (1991): Constructionism. Norwood, NJ, Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- LAVE, J. and WENGER, E. (1991): Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge University Press.
- PAPERT, S. (1990): A Critique of Technocentrism in Thinking About the School of the Future. MIT Epistemology and Learning Memo No. 2. Cambridge, Massachusetts, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Laboratory.
- Speed, B. (1991) "Reality exists O.K. ? An argument against constructivism and social constructionism". Family Therapy, 13. 395-409.
- Carr, W (eds) (2005). Philosophy of education. Oxon: Routledge.
- Eduvision report (PDF) on OPLC XOs in Ethiopia: Ethiopia mplementation Report, September - December 2007
- EFA (2000). Education For All (EFA) International Coordination.
- EFA (2005). EFA Global Monitoring Report: Education for all – The quality imperative. Paris: UNESCO
- EFA (2008). EFA Global Monitoring Report 2008 – Education for All by 2015, will we make it?
- Ellerman, D., 2004. "Autonomy in Education and Development". Journal of International co-operation in Education, 7, (1), 3-14
- Fredriksson, U., 2004. "Quality Education: The Key Role of Teachers". Education International. Working Papers No. 14, September 2004
- Hartel, H (2008). Low-cost devices in educational systems: The use of the XO laptop in the Ethiopian educational system. Eschborn, GTZ.
- Kort, B & Reilly R (2008). Evolving educational pedagogy in developing nations. MIT Media Laboratory.
- Lasonen, J et al (2005). Education and training in Ethiopia: An evaluation of approaching EFA goals. Discussion Paper 23, Institute for Educational Research, University of Jyvaskyla.
- Mazrui, A (2000). The World Bank, the language question, and the future of African education. Chapter 5 in, Federici, S & Caffentzis, C (eds). A Thousand Flowers: Social Struggles Against Structural Adjustment in African Universities. Africa World Press, 2000.
- Naidoo, J (2003). Implementing educational decentralization. Policy and strategy paper, UNESCO.
- Negash, T (2006). Education in Ethiopia: From crisis to the brink of collapse. Discussion Paper 33, Nordiska Afrikainstitutet, Uppsala.
- Richardson, V., 2003. "Constructivist Pedagogy". Teachers College Record, 105, (9), 1623-1640
- Shotton, J., 2002. "How pedagogical changes can contribute to the quality of education". In Desai, V. & Potter, R., (eds) The Companion to Development Studies, Arnold: London, 414-418
- Smith, WJ. & Ngoma-Maema, YW., 2003."Education for all in South Africa: Developing a national system for quality assurance". Comparative Education, 39, (3), 345-365
- Stroud, C, 2002, "Towards a Policy for Bilingual Education in Developing Countries", Sida New Education Division Documents No.10. Stockholm: Sida.
- United Nations (2000). The UN Millennium Development Goals.
- White, J (1982). The aims of education restated. London: Routledge.
- Alfie Kohn, Punished by Rewards, The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes, (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1993 / 1999). 1999 edition features a new Afterword by the author
- "After the Gold Rush: Toward Sustainable Scholarship in Computing" (pdf, 16pp) by Raymond Lister, Faculty of Information Technology, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
- Review of paper, "After the Gold Rush"
- Children Learning by Doing: Squeak Etoys on the OLPC XO (PDF) Alan Kay, VPRI Research Note RN-2007-006-a Viewpoints Research Institute (draft), 2007
- Squeak Etoys Authoring & Media (PDF) Alan Kay, VPRI Research Note RN-2005-002, Viewpoints Research Institute 2005
- Squeak Etoys, Children & Learning (PDF) Alan Kay, VPRI Research Note RN-2005-001, Viewpoints Research Institute 2005
- Squeak by Example online
- 1:1 Technologies/Computing in the Developing World: Challenging the Digital Divide (.doc file), by Mary Hooker Education Specialist, Global e-Schools and Communities Initiative
- Ainscow, M. 2003. Developing inclusive education systems: what are the levers for change? Manchester: University of Manchester
- Agalianos, A., Noss, R. and Whitty, G. (2001) Logo in Mainstream Schools: the struggle over the soul of an educational innovation British Journal of Sociology of Education, 22 (4), 479 – 500
- Bassi, R. (2008) Guide to Pilot Projects and Large Scale Deployment of ICTs in the Education Sector (Draft). GeSCI: Nairobi
- BECTA. (Homepage) [Online]. Available from: http://www.becta.org.uk/ [Accessed 5 May 2008]
- Bonifaz, A. and Zucker, A. 2004. Lessons Learned from Providing Laptops to All Students (PDF), NEIRTEC [Online].
- Burkhardt, G. et al. 2003. enGauge 21st Century Skills: Literacy in the Digital Age. Naperville: NCREL and METIRI
- Cangeloso, Sal: Lessons to learn from the OLPC [Online]. Available from: http://www.geek.com/lessons-to-learn-from-the-olpc/ [Accessed 5 April 2008]
- Center for Digital Education, 2004. One- to- One Laptop Initiatives: Providing Tools for 21st Century Learners. K – 12 Strategy Paper [Online]. Available from: http://www.centerdigitaled.com [Accessed 5 April 2008]
- Concord Consortium. [Online]. Available from: Inter-American Development Bank http://www.iadb.org/sds/SCI/site_7458_e.htm [Accessed 5 April 2008]
- Draxler, A. 2008. New Partnerships for EFA: Building on Experience. Paris: IIEP
- Engestrom, Y. 2001. Expansive Learning at Work: toward an activity theoretical reconceptualization. Journal of Education and Work [Online].14 (1), pp 133-156. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Everts, B., Harren, M. and Hollow, D. 2008. Ethiopia Implementation Report, September – December 2007 [Online]. Available from: Eduvision http://www.gg.rhul.ac.uk/ict4d/eduvisionethiopia.pdf [Accessed 14 April 2008]
- Excell, J. 2007. Flash of Inspiration. Non-profit organization gears up for mass production aimed at bringing schoolchildren in the developing world all the benefits of the IT revolution, The Engineer [Online]. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Farrell, G. and Isaacs, S. 2007. Survey of ICT and Education in Africa [Online]. Available from: infoDev http://www.infodev.org/en/Publication.353.html [Accessed 16 April 2008]
- Fullan, M. 2007. The New Meaning of Educational Change. Fourth Edition. New York: Teachers College Press
- Grabinger, S., Aplin, C. and Ponnappa-Brenner, G. 2007. Instructional Design and Sociocultural Learning Environments. e-Journal of Instructional Science and Technology [Online]. 10 (1), pp1-15. Available from: http://www.usq.edu.au/electpub/ejist/docs/vol10_no1/papers/full_papers/grabinger_aplin_ponnappabren.pdf [Accessed 18 April 2008]
- Hartel, H. 2008. Low-cost devices in educational systems: The use of the “XO-Laptop” in the Ethiopian Educational System [Online]. Available from: GTZ http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:c3S44gPGv8J:www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/gtz2008-en-laptop. [Accessed 5 April 2008]
- Hepp, P. et al (2004) Technology in Schools – Education, ICT and the Knowledge Society [Online]. Available from: http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTEDUCATION/0,,contentMDK:20263851~menuPK:534136~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:282386,00.html [Accessed: 27/07/2007].
- Information for Development Programme (infoDev). Quick Guide: Low cost computing devices for the developing world. [Online]. Available from: http://www.infodev.org/en/index.html [Accessed 13 April 2008]
- Keefe, D. and Zucker, A. 2003. Ubiquitous Computing Projects: A Brief History [Online]. Available from: Ubiquitous Computer Evaluation Consortium. Available from: http://ubiqcomputing.org/ [Accessed 7 April 2008]
- Kanehira, N. 2007. Innovation in Learning and Beyond: Intorducing a $100 Laptop through Public-Private Partnerships. The Kennedy School Review [Online]. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Kestenbaum, D. 2005. The Challenges of IDC: What have we learned from our past? A conversation with Seymour Papert, Marvin Minsky and Alan Kay. Communications of the ACM [Online]. 48 (1) 35 – 38. Available from Academic Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 12 April 2008]
- Kumar, S. (firstname.lastname@example.org) 14 May, 2008. Re: 1:1. Email to Mary Hooker Cc: Patti.Swarts; Alex.Twinomugisha; Roxana Bassi
- Menchik, D. 2004. Placing cybereducation in the UK classroom. British Journal of Sociology of Education [Online]. 25 (2), pp 193-213. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment, 2004. Curriculum Assessment and ICT in the Irish Context: A Discussion Paper [Online]. Available from NCCA http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Publications/CurriculumAssessmentandICT.pdf [Accessed 14 May 2008]
- Narvarro, J.C. 2006. The One Laptop Per Child Initiative: A Framework for Latin America and the IDB [Online]. Available from: Inter-American Development Bank http://www.iadb.org/sds/SCI/site_7458_e.htm [Accessed 13 April 2008]
- Noss, Richard and Pachler, Norbert (1999) The challenge of new technologies: doing old things in a new way, or doing new things? IN: Mortimore, P. (eds.) Understanding pedagogy and its impact on learning. London: Paul Chapman Publishing
- Ogawa, R.T., Crain, R., Loomis, M. and Ball, T. 2008. CHAT-IT: Toward Conceptualizing Learning in the Context of Formal Organizations. Educational Researcher [Online]. 37 (2), pp 83-95. Available from: Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Papert, S. 1980. Mindstorms: Children, Computers and Powerful Ideas. New York. Basic Books
- Papert, S. and Harel, I. 1991 Situating Constructionism. Available from: http://www.papert.org/articles/SituatingConstructionism.html [Accessed 13 April 2008]
- Papert, S. 1993. The Children’s Machine: Rethinking School in the Age of the Computer. New York: Basic Books
- Papert, S. 2004. Keynote Address. i3 1 to 1 Computing Conference, 31 May, Sydney Australia [Online]. Available from: http://homepage.mac.com/stager/iMovieTheater23.html
- Rapoza, J. 2007. Will this Laptop Change the World? eWeek [Online]. Insight, pp44 – 50, 13 August 2007. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Robertson, I. 2007 E-Learning Practice and Activity Theory. You Tube [Online] Available from: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2gbKIYwbhig [Accessed 5 April 2008]
- Scanlon, E. and Issroff, K. 2005. Activity Theory and Higher Education: evaluating learning technologies. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning [Online]. 21, pp430-439. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Senge, P. M. 1990, 2006. The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organisation. London: Random House
- Shawki, T.G. (2007). On ICT Utilization Toward Building Global Knowledge Societies. IN: Handheld Learning Conference and Exhibition. October 2007. [Online]. Available from: Handheld learning http://handheldlearning.blip.tv/file/445211/ [Accessed 0 April 2008]
- Surowlecki, J. 2006. Philanthropy’s New Prototype: Can Nicholas Negroponte get Governments to buy Cheap Laptops? Technology Review [Online]. 109 (5), pp48-56. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Swarts, P. 2008. ICT as Core and Elective Subject: Issues to Consider. Accra: GeSCI
- Thomas, M. (2007) Review: Laptops in literacy: Learning in the wireless classroom. British Educational Communications and Technology Agency [Online]. 38 (6) pp1145 -1146. Available from: Academic Search Premier http://www.library.dcu.ie/Eresources/databases-az.htm [Accessed 01 April 2008]
- Tinker, R., Galvis, A and Zucker, A. 2007. 1:1 Computing In Support of Science and Mathematics Education: Recommendations for Large Scale Implementations. The Twinomugisha, A. (2006). The price of good policy: Calculating the Total Cost of ICT4E Ownership. Digital Learning. 11 (9), pp28 – 31
- User-Centric Enterprise Architecture [Online]. Available from: http://usercentricea.blogspot.com/ [Accessed 14 May 2008]
- UNESCO. ICT Competency Standards for Teachers [Online]. Available from: http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.phpURL_ID=22997&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html [Accessed 15 May 2008]
- Vygotsky, L.S. 1978. Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes. Cambridgw: Harvard University Press
- Zucker, A. 2005. One-to-One Computing Evaluation Consortium: Policy Brief. The Concord Consortium [Online]. Available from:
http://www.genevalogic.com/blog/wpcontent/uploads/2006/08/Lessons_Learned_Brief.pdf [Accessed 16 April 2008]
- Cavallo, D. 2006. Models of Growth--towards fundamental change in learning environments.
- Stefanakis, E. 2002. Multiple Intelligences and Portfolios: A Window into the Learner's Mind.
- ... Studio Thinking: The Real Benefits of Visual Arts Education.
- Schön, D. The Reflective Practitioner