SOAS Deployement Settings Definition
- Name: Carlo Falciola
- Email: <cfalciola dot yahoo dot it>
- Targeted release: (0.88)
- Last updated: (2009 Nov 24)
- Percentage of completion: 1%
In order to support deployements activities the standard SOAS image should allow a limited degree of personalization for basic settings.
This page would be the start of a documentation effort aimed to document those basic interfaces:
Benefit to Sugar
- to ease the personalization efforts from field organizations
- to avoid regression issues related to personalization done in the wrong places
- to ease peacefully coexistance between personalization needs and bugfixing/support activities
Actually will be mostly a documentation effort - no impact on code in this phase.
How To Test
In case of a deploy in a school we could not expect children or teacher to spend a large initial amount of time to set up basic paramenters for SOAS usage (es. LANGUAGE, Timezone, Keyboard, servers, etc).
Whatever approach would be taken in order to land those initial settings in the actual sticks/images, the very first step is to try to define with increasing detail:
- what all those settings are
- where a deployer or developer could find them
- how to operate changes to those setting without creating regression errors in the procedure
If we don't complete this feature, it can be left out. Nothing else depends upon it.
SOAS Deployement Settings Table (Draft)
|Language||LANGUAGE and LANG environment variables||conf file, login/boot scripts||....||easy (must be!)|
|Timezone||Environment that define timezone||login/boot scripts||....||easy (must be!)
|Jabber Server(s)||addres of jabber server for the school/class||conf file?||......|
|WiFi settings||in case of proxy, passwords needed||conf file?||.....|
|Activity selection or preferred list reworked (added to default set)||Journal||tbd|
|User account||parameters||conf file ?||schoolclass info to be added (?)|
|Additional Drivers||Linux drivers to support specific HW||Standard Linux Drivers locations||Link to an Howto Page||(Could be hard)|
Comments and Discussion
A basic list of setting to be descripted could be taken from http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Request_New_Feature (by Andrea 16:41, 21 May 2009 (UTC) ):
- Date, Time & Timezone
- User Accounts
- WiFi settings
- Jabber server(s).
- Add/Remove Programs
- System Updates
- Desktop GUI settings
- Name SD card and USB media drives, etc.
- What else?