SOAS Deployement Customization
- Name: Carlo Falciola
- Email: <cfalciola dot yahoo dot it>
- Targeted release: (0.88)
- Last updated: (2009 Nov 24)
- Percentage of completion: 5%
In order to support deployements activities the standard SOAS image should allow a limited degree of customization for basic/advanced settings.
This page would be the start of a documentation effort aimed to document those basic interfaces:
Benefit to Sugar
- to ease the personalization efforts from field organizations
- to avoid regression issues related to personalization done in the wrong places
- to ease peacefully coexistance between personalization needs and bugfixing/support activities
Actually will be mostly a documentation effort - no impact on code in this phase.
How To Test
In case of a deploy in a school we could not expect children or teacher to spend a large initial amount of time to set up basic paramenters for SOAS usage (es. LANGUAGE, Timezone, Keyboard, servers, etc).
Whatever approach would be taken in order to land those initial settings in the actual sticks/images, the very first step is to try to define with increasing detail:
- what all those settings are
- where a deployer or developer could find them
- how to operate changes to those setting without creating regression errors in the procedure
- None on code
- Once consensus being reached on the customization documentation, developers that changes Sugar in areas that impact this documentation set should fell obliged to update it consistently and notify downstream.
If we don't complete this feature, it can be left out. Nothing else depends upon it.
SOAS Deployement Settings Table (Draft)
|Language||LANGUAGE and LANG environment variables||conf file, login/boot scripts||....||....|
|Timezone||Environment that define timezone||login/boot scripts||....||.....||
|Jabber Server(s)||addres of jabber server for the school/class||conf file?||......||...|
|WiFi settings (auto connect)||in case of proxy, passwords needed||conf file?||.....||...||see also mail: (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/020967.html )|
|Added Activity (added to the default set)||Filesystem||tbd||...||...||see also mail: (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/020967.html )|
|Preferred Activities list reworked/reordered||text file, proprietary format||/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/favorite_activities (in Soas)||...||...||see also mail: (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/020967.html )|
|User account||parameters||conf file ?||schoolclass info to be added (?)||...||...|
|Additional Drivers||Linux drivers to support specific HW||Standard Linux Drivers locations||Link to an Howto Page||(Could be hard)|
|Additional Multimedia||to enhance localization for specific packages (es. Gcompris Voices, openstreetmap extraction)||/Activities...||...||...|
|Additional Contents (eBooks, images, ecc.)||files||to land in Journal or in compressed r/o partition||...||...|
|Additional static HTML (local homepage, etc.)||files||to land in ...||...||...||see also mail: (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/020967.html )|
Note: The "Complexity" column could be the base for differentiate the effort/scope of personalization effort:
- some of them could be defined as "standard" and potentially we could have half baked tools to smooth efforts (the idea is that's far easyer to write a well done & safe script to be used by deployer on the field other than increase the Sugar UI with rarely used features)
- some of them could be defined as "hard" and then documented only then left to field/deployers will...
Comments and Discussion
A basic list of setting to be descripted could be taken from http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Request_New_Feature (by Andrea 16:41, 21 May 2009 (UTC) ):
- Date, Time & Timezone
- User Accounts
- WiFi settings
- Jabber server(s).
- Add/Remove Programs
- System Updates
- Desktop GUI settings
- Name SD card and USB media drives, etc.
- What else?