The Sugar Learning Environment is packaged in Fedora 13.
- From the System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software menu, search for Sugar.
- Among all the packaged Activities select,
|The emulator for the Sugar Learning Environment|
sugar-emulator-0.88.1-1.fc13 (no arch)
- and any or all of the Activities.
- Sugar will be available in your Applications -> Education menu.
Sugar will run in a Xephyr window within your current environment. You will have full access to the Sugar features, and may even run multiple instances to simulate a local collaboration group.
- Adjust the default window size for Sugar by editing the menu item for Sugar to
/usr/bin/sugar-emulator -i 1200x900
- to match the XO screen proportions
/usr/bin/sugar-emulator -i 600x500
- fits the screen for a 10-inch netbook
You may also collaborate with others in the jabber.sugarlabs.org server Neighborhood (Press <F1> to see the Neighborhood view.)
Sugar on a Stick
With this spin, you'll be able to run Sugar, which is developed by Sugar Labs and is the desktop environment used on the OLPC, directly from a Live CD or Live USB!
- See our Sugar on a Stick page.
Make a custom Fedora image
or Live DVD/CD
(revised march 14 2010)
- f11 will build 0.84.x Sugar
- f12 will build 0.86.x Sugar *(does not see USB in frame, on insertion, when running Virtualbox.)
- In Terminal:
yum install revisor yum install kickstart
- start kickstart and follow instructions/ save the kickstart file
- Sugar Desktop is one of the selections offered.
- Hint: select Gnome desktop and then deselect it if you do not want it (this sets graphical dependencies like X for you)
- start revisor select DVD-CD 0r Live / select your KS.cfg (in you /home/(user) directory) / select options and start.
- takes about 1-2 hrs to build .iso files
- Important: copy completed .iso files from /srv/revisor/f11(12) i386/*** subdirectories; and paste them onto your Desktop.
- burn DVD/CD .iso and use it in VMworkstation or Virtualbox to test; or use to install to USB/SD or your Hard-Disk (with Anaconda in your new DVD/CD)
Build System setup:
- 500/250 GB Seagate FreeAgent GO external usb HD's (easily switched and portable)
- f11/f12 installed with f11/f12 netinstall.CD's
- Hp Pavillion tx 1000 AMd Turion 64 Laptop (with Hard-Disk removed);Booted from netinstall CD's
- Wired Cat5 Network Connection to HS Cable Modem
Gnome + Sugar-Desktop in a 1.6Gb .iso
Installs to a 8GB USB nicely
The Fedora OLPC SIG, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OLPC, will be importing further activities into Fedora, which might later be installed using
yum install sugar-*
- Here's a video of the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKmrtlyyCFo
- CJB suggests: as root, run: yum -y groupinstall "Sugar Desktop Environment"
The command to run Sugar is as root otherwise you may get this behavior.
For more information on the new release, please refer to the announcement here: