Difference between revisions of "Oversight Board/2010/Meeting-log-2018-10-05"
From Sugar Labs
(Created page with "<pre> <vaibhavdaren> hi :D <octamois> jaskirat : Have a safe journey, shine like a sun at summit :) <jaskirat> hi <jaskirat> <octamois> Thanks a lot man <Hrishi_> Do share a b...")
Latest revision as of 16:16, 5 October 2018
<vaibhavdaren> hi :D <octamois> jaskirat : Have a safe journey, shine like a sun at summit :) <jaskirat> hi <jaskirat> <octamois> Thanks a lot man <Hrishi_> Do share a blog jaskirat * rishabh42_ (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined * samsongoddy (~email@example.com) has joined <jaskirat> <Hrishi_> yeah sure <avinashbharti97> jaskirat: happy journey :D <eohomegrownapps> walterbender: sorry I won't be able to make the meeting (my piano lesson starts now) - I'll check the logs afterwards <jaskirat> <avinashbharti97>Thanks a lot <rishabh42_> hey everyone * sidhantb (744a2af4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.220.127.116.11) has joined <walterbender> hi <samsongoddy> Hello <sidhantb> Hello! <Hrishi_> Hello everyone <walterbender> so... <walterbender> welcome to GCI 2018 <samsongoddy> Yay! <walterbender> we have a very short runway this year. <Hrishi_> ibiam, walterbender : thanks for preponing meeting <walterbender> the contest begins in just 2 weeks. <jaskirat> yes <Hrishi_> :) <ibiam> hi everyone <walterbender> I think that everyone is set up now on the GCI site. We can start adding tasks there directly. * amanharitsh123 (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <rishabh42_> +1 <jaskirat> +1 <walterbender> (They will not be visible to the students.) <jaskirat> that sounds perfect <walterbender> A few things to keep in mind: <amanharitsh123> Hey Everyone , sorry I am late :| <walterbender> There will be a link included on EVERY task to a background page I wrote up in the wiki. <walterbender> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Google_Code_In_2018/background <walterbender> please help improve it <walterbender> It covers general info like IRC, git, etc. <walterbender> Also, we have (as usual) a beginner task to walk people through the Sugar Labs pull request process <walterbender> I've already added that one. <walterbender> So you can assume that people will know how to make a PR, which should be the gold standard for all tasks. <jaskirat> +1 <walterbender> Please try to be as clear as possible in describing a task <walterbender> and add a link to any relevant github issues where appropriate * Ritwik (9d30f107@gateway/web/freenode/ip.18.104.22.168) has joined <walterbender> We can have design tasks, programming tasks, research tasks, etc <ibiam> and also create tasks that are time bound .ie. could be completed with 3-4 days <walterbender> 3 days is the minimum. Some tasks may take longer. <walterbender> I usually think of the days as a way of indicating difficulty level. <ibiam> yeah <walterbender> But a complex task is best broken into smaller pieces. <Ritwik> The students are evaluated based on quantity and quality both so there must be some beginner tasks * sum2it (uid281472@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-eviwbyhpvqhlsoox) has joined <Hrishi_> Okay, is there the data dump available for GCI2017? <walterbender> For example, we made about 5 tasks out of rewriting the Music Blocks server last year. <sum2it> Apologies, I'm 10 minutes late. <Hrishi_> Ritwik: there will be beginner tasks like creating a PR, setting up sugar etc <walterbender> I have a data dump on my laptop. <walterbender> I am not sure how much purpose it serves as most tasks were specific to issues. <ibiam> Ritwik: quality counts over quantity <Hrishi_> walterbender: please share, it helped me add tasks last time, now that we are not using GCI API <sum2it> I wanted to ask about MB too! <rishabh42_> yeah, me to <walterbender> We can have many MB tasks :) <rishabh42_> too* <jaskirat> <sum2it>yeah sure <walterbender> The dump is an individual JSON file for each task... a bit unwieldy <walterbender> Id there something in particular you are looking for? <walterbender> There is a bulk uploader BTW <sum2it> I'll happily see over any MB tasks that required to be done. Please share the JSON whenever you feel so. <walterbender> we could autogenerate a task for each open issue on GH and bulk load them <walterbender> But we need to cull them carefully <ibiam> yeah <Hrishi_> walterbender: we can use bulk uploader for CSV that we are using right now <walterbender> to make sure (1) the issue is current (2) clear (3) and has mentors <walterbender> Hrishi_, yeah... but is it worth it? <Hrishi_> We can do with Ghub API like Ignacio and I helped last time <walterbender> If you want, up load them <walterbender> but they all need very extensive editing before we can publish them <Hrishi_> If we can manually add no, but if we want everyone to add tasks first, then it's fine <ibiam> walterbender: in autogenerating tasks with open issues, some issues are dated quite some time ago <Hrishi_> Also, about the data dumps, it'd be great to show newer mentors how submissions of MB and other tasks should be. <sum2it> We can publish only what you feel strongly aligned with. <walterbender> I think if everyone loaded the tasks they wrote up (using the CSV upload or by hand) and marked that the task has been uploaded... <ibiam> walterbender: would these be selected first before uploading? * Hrishi_ I will add more tasks after 8th when my mid semester gets over :) <walterbender> I will go through every task before publishing them <sum2it> And some issues didn't reach a conclusion, like the temperament one. <walterbender> The other thing I am concerned about it mentoring <walterbender> I really want multiple mentors per task <walterbender> a task with just one mentor will not get published. <walterbender> but also, we need to be very strict about accepting student work. <walterbender> We have to be consistent <sum2it> I'll volunteer for almost every task that is within my capabilities. I assume Jaskirat would do so too , maybe. <walterbender> which means, in the beginning, I will ask that each of you contact me when you think a task is complete <rishabh42_> sure, that sounds good <walterbender> Once we get aligned, I will "grant" you more autonomy. * perrie (~email@example.com) has joined <sidhantb> +1 <sum2it> +1 <jaskirat> <sum2it> sure <octamois> +1 <perrie> hello <vaibhavdaren> +1 <perrie> sorry I'm late <walterbender> But also, please remember this is ultimately about the students learning and having fun. <walterbender> So be helpful and thoughtful and fun. <rishabh42_> +1 <walterbender> It would be great if we could get a 100 or so tasks written up in the next week or so. <ibiam> yeah <walterbender> And then we keep adding as the contest goes on. <Ritwik> How to decide which task gets published <walterbender> One thing: there is a "bug" in the GCI software. Admins don't get a notification when a new task is added. <walterbender> So if you want Ibiam or I to look at your task, please send us a link. <octamois> +1 <walterbender> @Ritwik, I look for clarity, relevance, and whether it is doable. <sidhantb> Should we first type out a task on a secondary medium like email or google docs and then share it with you and Ibiam or directly add it to the GCI software? <walterbender> Be verbose in your descriptions <walterbender> and include links for more info <walterbender> @sidhantb, I prefer to work with the GCI interface, so we know what it will look like in the system. <walterbender> (You can use limited Markdown, including [foo](link) for links <sidhantb> Alright. <octamois> How will multiple mentors be allotted same task, if one mentor is adding specific task? <ibiam> you can assign yourself to any task you want to <walterbender> remember, the tasks should have some relevance to Sugar Labs, which means some relevance to the application of Software Libre to learning. <walterbender> We can have as many mentors per task as we want. <ibiam> sidhantb: you can also use ``` for code <ibiam> if you want to include any in the tasak <rishabh42_> octamois, you can individually choose which task you want to mentor if it shows on the list regardless of who created it <ibiam> task <octamois> Ok, rishabh42_ <sum2it> Anyone else who is mentoring with music blocks background? <walterbender> FWIW, just pointing to an issue in GH is not a good task. You should include a brief description and tag with relevant skills, e.g., Python, JS, design, etc. <rishabh42_> I would like to get started with contributing to MB as well <rishabh42_> sum2it, ^^ <walterbender> and make sure that the issues you point to are clearly articulated. Many are pretty sketchy. <sum2it> Have you gone through the MB code @rishabh42_? <walterbender> There are almost 200 open issues for MB alone <walterbender> so no shortage of things to do. <sum2it> Alright. <walterbender> I've been on a tear trying to get things ready for the Japan deployment. <rishabh42_> walterbender, sure. I spoke to Hrishi_ about this earlier this week <walterbender> They have lots of new features that they'd like down the road as well.. perfect for GCI tasks. <sum2it> Please let me know if any kind of help is needed @walterbender <sidhantb> walterbender: I recently saw a few organisations following a strict specification(templates) for their issues which are pretty through. Would something like that make sense for SL as a whole to implement or individual projects? <walterbender> Would be great to keep the momentum going from the summer re Python3 and GTK3 <jaskirat> sounds good also book for india market, walterbender * amaan_iqbal (1b308463@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined <walterbender> sidhantb, It is not likely to happen... <walterbender> but we could/should do better about tags. <ibiam> walterbender: python3 port for activities? <rishabh42_> sum2it, I've gone through the project and repo, yet to get involved with contributing though..was caught up with some other projects <walterbender> Documentation is a acceptable task. <walterbender> ibiam, that is a valid task <walterbender> I think it would be best to make a separate task for each activity that needs to be ported. <sum2it> @rishabh42_ no worries, we need to test MB extensively. Can you help with that before GCI starts? <walterbender> it is easier for the students that way. <ibiam> yeah <Hrishi_> We can also have blog and outreach tasks, it must not be a boring task though <rishabh42_> sum2it, sure! <walterbender> We could make 3 tasks: (1) find all the activities that still need gtk3 porting; (2) find all the activities that still need Pyhton3 porting; (30 find all the activities where the git history is missing. <walterbender> We can use the results of those 3 tasks to create many many more tasks :P <rishabh42_> I'll also check the RPi image if there's anything required that can be accomplished via GCI * manki11 (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <walterbender> +1 <sum2it> @walterbender Clever! +1 <rishabh42_> walterbender, +1 <Hrishi_> A reference for what needs porting https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/787 <sidhantb> I wanted to talk about Design tasks. I have some ideas regarding tasks which range from social media to our core design documentation. I want the students to feel that what they've made is being used by SL, be it designing social media posts(which do get used, maybe a separate design guide for it) or making something following the spec. Like from my experience last year I got immense satisfaction when I saw my blog post bein <amanharitsh123> rishabh42_ Possibly could work on my script to improve performance <amanharitsh123> and on your script to refractor code , like I did during GSoC :) * Ritwik has quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds) <sum2it> Can we have testing tasks in GCI? <yashagrawal3> Will updated tasks related to gtk3 port. <rishabh42_> Yeah amanharitsh123 , by RPi I meant all the projects pertaining to it :) <walterbender> One last thing... let's use sugar-devel for our communication unless there is a private matter that needs to be discussed. <walterbender> testing (and writing tests) is a fine task for GCI <rishabh42_> +1 <octamois> +1 <sum2it> Alright. <amaan_iqbal> +1 <amanharitsh123> walterbender +1 <walterbender> any other questions for the moment? <avinashbharti97> walterbender: which are the major projects to be focused on? <walterbender> avinashbharti97, anything to do with the Sugar Desktop, Music and Turtle Blocks, Sugarizer and Primero <walterbender> and various platform plays, like RPi <sum2it> Anyone else overseeing/mentoring MB tasks apart from you? <walterbender> Another nice task are is in developing lesson plans or activities around Sugar <sidhantb> What about outreach? <avinashbharti97> walterbender: I was planning to go with sugarlabs social project too .. <walterbender> sum2it, Devin among others <sum2it> Oh great! <walterbender> 2-3 from the Japan team <sum2it> Alright. <walterbender> Euan <walterbender> avinashbharti97, that is fine <walterbender> Marketing materials... <walterbender> classroom visits/workshops <rishabh42_> walterbender, just a side note, should we also work on publishing the Sugar image on Raspberrypi.org? <walterbender> just not translation <jaskirat> that sounds perfect <walterbender> that is not allowed. <walterbender> So... I think we all have lots to do in preparation. <walterbender> Remember to have fun. <walterbender> and learn a lot. <sum2it> +1 * perrie has quit (Remote host closed the connection) <sidhantb> +1 <vaibhavdaren> +1 <amaan_iqbal> +1 * yashagrawal3 has quit (Quit: AndroIRC - Android IRC Client ( http://www.androirc.com )) <avinashbharti97> +1 <rishabh42_> +1 <octamois> +1 <amaan_iqbal> BTW are we going to go with IRC only for GCI chats with students? <ibiam> IRC and the comments section in the GCI website <ibiam> each task has a comment section for tasks <avinashbharti97> walterbender: should the info about the creation of new task is shared on sugar-devel or personally with you and ibiam? <amaan_iqbal> okay <sum2it> Also, where will the guidelines for the standard of approving the tasks shared? <sum2it> Since everyone will have to uphold to the same standard. <jaskirat> ? <eohomegrownapps> walterbender, hi <eohomegrownapps> (piano lesson over) <ibiam> I have to go <eohomegrownapps> is there anything in particular that I should note with regards to mentoring? <ibiam> bye everyone * perrie (~email@example.com) has joined * ibiam has quit (Quit: ibiam) * perrie has quit (Remote host closed the connection) * perrie (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined * manki11 (~email@example.com) has left <sum2it> Are we done here? <sidhantb> I guess. <sum2it> @walterbender Whenever you see this please share the guidelines on developer mailing list. Thank you! * vaibhavdaren has quit (Quit: Leaving) * iqra has quit (Quit: Page closed) * vaibhavdaren (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <walterbender> sum2it, The bottom line is: would you merge the PR? <walterbender> sum2it, the expectation is the same level of quality we expect from developers <sum2it> Alright, got it. <walterbender> eohomegrownapps, have you seen all the recent changes to MB? <walterbender> serious overhaul <walterbender> all positive, I think <eohomegrownapps> ooh nice <eohomegrownapps> haven't had time recently (school's been very busy) <walterbender> I've been pretty busy too... <eohomegrownapps> but I'll take a look in a few hours <walterbender> eohomegrownapps, love your feedback <eohomegrownapps> (just out of interest, how's your day job going?) <eohomegrownapps> also regarding the creation of tasks: <eohomegrownapps> I seem to remember you saying something about creating tasks for a Git backend to the planet <eohomegrownapps> is this something I should do? what would you want from the backend? * perrie has quit (Remote host closed the connection) <walterbender> eohomegrownapps, write up anything you think would be interesting <walterbender> but try to make bitesized pieces <eohomegrownapps> will do * iqra (b6b10762@gateway/web/freenode/ip.126.96.36.199) has joined * iqra has quit (Client Quit) * amaan_iqbal has quit () * elverma (~sverma@2600:1700:9da1:82e0:c029:2aac:c56e:5e99) has joined * rishabh42_ has quit (Quit: Leaving) * Mayank8055_ (2f1f7a1e@gateway/web/freenode/ip.188.8.131.52) has joined * echoduck (~email@example.com) has joined * elverma has quit (Quit: Leaving) * avinashbharti97 has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds) * ifeanyi_ (uid291517@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-lzprqigkfjzbuend) has joined <ifeanyi_> Hi all, good day. * elverma (~sverma@2600:1700:9da1:82e0:c029:2aac:c56e:5e99) has joined <walterbender> hi ifeanyi_ * echoduck has quit (Quit: WeeChat 2.2) * aaguirre_ (be403172@gateway/web/freenode/ip.184.108.40.206) has joined <walterbender> any SLOB members here? <walterbender> samsongoddy, ? <walterbender> elverma, ? <samsongoddy> Hello <walterbender> hi <walterbender> no quorum <walterbender> and no one except you and I responded to the email motion. <samsongoddy> Yeah <walterbender> I think it is time to gear up for an election to vote in a new board that actually is interested in participating. <samsongoddy> +1 <samsongoddy> I agree <walterbender> I'll send an email reminding SLOB members to please vote. <aaguirre_> hi <walterbender> And another to the community looking for candidates <samsongoddy> Agreed too <walterbender> How was your US trip? Looked great in the photos <walterbender> ^^ aaguirre_ <walterbender> samsongoddy, I think I will look up the stats on meeting attendance over the past few years by some of our long-time board members... it won't be pretty :P <samsongoddy> There is alot the Board need to do <walterbender> yes... but apparently 1 hour a month -- scheduled well in advance -- is too much of a commitment for our peers :( <samsongoddy> Yeah <samsongoddy> Maybe it is time we ask for commitment <aaguirre_> it was great! :-) <walterbender> I wouldn't care except the SFC won't let us do anything without the board vote. <walterbender> samsongoddy, the commitment is implicit. everyone knows the rules <samsongoddy> You are right <walterbender> samsongoddy, anything else for today? <walterbender> aaguirre_, check out the latest Music Blocks... lots-of-fun <samsongoddy> Nothing really. I wanted to discuss about sugar labs vision <samsongoddy> And goals <samsongoddy> But i guess <jaskirat> hi <samsongoddy> We long propose goals <samsongoddy> But currently we are working on just 30% <samsongoddy> Of what was written down <samsongoddy> I think those goals needs to be agreed on <walterbender> samsongoddy, you and jaskirat should come up with a new marketing team agenda... <samsongoddy> I am working on that <samsongoddy> I am looking at Sean's previous plan <samsongoddy> Soas <jaskirat> <walterbender> thanks i am on it making some plans * ibiam (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <walterbender> Let's cast a wide net first... and then narrow the scope. <ibiam> Hi <samsongoddy> Agreed <samsongoddy> Ssoc <samsongoddy> ? <samsongoddy> Is that gonna be a thing as we discussed? <walterbender> What is Ssoc? <samsongoddy> Sugar Labs Summer of Code <samsongoddy> The one you mentioned <samsongoddy> Some meetings back <walterbender> OK. I didn't recognize the acronym <samsongoddy> I also plan to bring bac Sugar Labs ambassadors <samsongoddy> *back <samsongoddy> A group of advocates <walterbender> Given that we have 12 interns from Google last year--about as many as we could find mentors for, adding another program is a bit sketchy <walterbender> Ambassadors could be a good idea... but we need to spell out what it really means. <ifeanyi_> Hi all, a bit late. * sum2it has quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity) <walterbender> I'll post the log in the wiki. <walterbender> Meanwhile, anyone with GCI ideas, please share them on Sugar Devel <walterbender> or directly with Ibiam and me. <samsongoddy> It has a document on the wiki <jaskirat> okay sure <samsongoddy> I will with you later <ifeanyi_> Okay @walterbender <walterbender> anything else for today? * Ibiam_ (c5d236f6@gateway/web/freenode/ip.220.127.116.11) has joined <jaskirat> <walterbender> is motion up ? <jaskirat> i guess time is sensitive <samsongoddy> Not from me * ibiam has quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds) * ibiam (~email@example.com) has joined <walterbender> jaskirat, no one showed to vote except the two of us who already voted. <walterbender> I will send another email. <ibiam> I'm a little lost <ibiam> Network issues <ibiam> What are we voting on <jaskirat> okay thanks a lot , i guess if approved then sfc should not take another couple of days to make it move <ifeanyi_> Are the emails tracked? Like number of opens, so we know the stats, if they are ignoring it or yet to access the mail * Ibiam_ has quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds) * GrannieB_ (acfb389c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.18.104.22.168) has joined <GrannieB_> Well... that is definitely a barrier to participation by people not familiar with irc. The most obtuse instructions I have ever seen * jaskirat has quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds) <GrannieB_> OK so is this the meeting or not??? <ifeanyi_> Yes it is the meeting @GrannieB_ <ibiam> GrannieB_: it's to avoid the spam attacks <ibiam> Only registered users can access the channel <ifeanyi_> I started very early trying to bypass those barriers. It was quite difficult <GrannieB_> Yes, but it is definitely a barrier. The instructions are scattered and not at all clear <GrannieB_> I tried yesterday and then spent a lot of time today <ifeanyi_> Maybe a documentation can help. Where and what to click to overcome the spam blocks <ibiam> GrannieB_: the instructions are clear <ibiam> It's just your chat client that requires you joining each time you want to use it <ifeanyi_> You're very correct @ibiam . It's the chat client that is causing the glitches (at least from my end) <walterbender> GrannieB_, maybe you can share your process -- obviously successful -- so others can learn from you? <GrannieB_> I think I accidentally did it! <GrannieB_> I actually registered twice... same name and pw, 2 confirmation emails * sidhantb has quit (Quit: Page closed) <walterbender> GrannieB_, let's be systematic about this. first the basics: what computer/OS are you using? <walterbender> then, what tool did you use? browser? irc client? <GrannieB_> Chrome freenode <GrannieB_> but the order you do things in matters... a lot * Mayank8055_ has quit (Quit: Page closed) <GrannieB_> The first confirmation message I got would not work. It said the nick was already in use <GrannieB_> The second one (same nick... different code from them) worked <walterbender> GrannieB_, https://webchat.freenode.net/ ??? <GrannieB_> yes <ibiam> GrannieB_: after you got the first message did you try to identify your nick <walterbender> So it was just a matter of trying repeatedly? * Hrishi_ has quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity) <GrannieB_> no. It was more than that. I could write some easier instructions if I can figure out how I did it. The main problem is where it tells you to "log in" and they aren't talking about a password or anything like that that I can see <GrannieB_> When I was trying to log in with my nick it kept telling me that it was not available, that it was taken. After the second time registering it, things worked <GrannieB_> The registration instructions are ok <GrannieB_> it is what to do after that is messed up <elverma> Hello <elverma> Sorry, I got called awy <elverma> I had a bunch of trouble logging in as well <ibiam> GrannieB_: whatever you do after is because of your client <walterbender> elverma, while we have your attention, please vote on the email motion re Jaskirat <elverma> Will do <ibiam> It always requires that you login each time you open it * fnerk (497e4bb7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined <GrannieB_> OK what does it mean to "log in?" <walterbender> I just followed the instructions at https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration and it worked first time... <GrannieB_> Exactly how does one do that? >NickServ< identify **** -NickServ- You are already logged in as walterbender. <walterbender> type /msg NickServ identify YOURPASSWORD * fnerk has quit (Quit: Page closed) <GrannieB_> When I finally got in, I went through the "not a robot" drill... I had put in my user name and that was all. Then when I got an irc screen, I pasted the message verifying my registration into the bar at the bottom, That got me in. then I changed channels to #sugar - meeting <elverma> walterbender, I don't see the motion. Is it on SLOB? <GrannieB_> Oh, and it told me my registration was complete after I pasted in the verification <walterbender> elverma, I emailed it Wednesday and again about 10 minutes ago. <walterbender> GrannieB_, Please see if https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Google_Code_In_2018/background#Getting_set_up_on_IRC matches your experience. * walterbender needs to disappear in a few minutes. * ibiam has to go <elverma> walterbender Interesting. I see it on lists.sl.o but not in my email...something is broken. <elverma> Can you record +1 from me for the motion? <walterbender> will do... <walterbender> maybe check your entry on the listserv <elverma> walterbender: will do. Entire threads for Oct are missing in my email. Not in spam either. * ibiam has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)