The Sugar Labs members list consists of all the contributors to the Sugar project. Members can run for election to the Oversight Board, vote in the elections for the Oversight Board, and suggest referenda.
Any "significant and sustained" contributor to Sugar Labs is eligible for membership. Although it is difficult to specify a precise definition, a contributor generally must have contributed to a non-trivial improvement of the Sugar project or Sugar Labs activity. Contributions may be code, documentation, translations, maintenance of project-wide resources, running a Sugar deployment, or other non-trivial activities which benefit Sugar Labs. Membership eligibility is an individual determination: while contributions made in the course of employment will be considered, they will generally be ascribed to the individuals involved, rather than accruing to all employees of a "contributing" corporation. The Membership and Elections Committee (MEC / MembCom) will oversee membership applications (Please apply by sending email to members at sugarlabs.org).
The Membership and Elections Committee will review the membership list for currency once per year. Any member may join this committee, which is currently staffed by Sebastian Dziallas and Luke Faraone.
Applying for membership
All submissions MUST be sent to members at sugarlabs.org by 5 pm EDT (21:00 UTC) Sunday 01 October 2010. Submissions sent to other email addresses or sent after the deadline will not be processed for this year's election. Someone on the MEC will reply to your query within 2 business days.
In your email, please include:
- Your name
- Your IRC / Wiki / Gitorious username
- A description of your contribution to Sugar Labs, links are preferable.
Currency assurance policy
In order to ensure that the Sugar Labs Membership list is reflective of the current status of the project and its participants, once a year members will be asked to confirm that they still wish to be a Sugar Labs Member. If this request bounces, or if a request has not been replied to after it has been a) resent, b) checked for a more current email address, and c) six months have passed, the member will be sent a removal notice with an invitation to reapply.
Timeline for 2010-2011 Season
- 2010-09-01: New Member addition frozen. All requests made after this date will be processed after the 2010 election.
- 2010-09-03: All existing 2009-2010 applications sent to email@example.com processed
- 2010-10-01: Email sent out to all members containing details on the 2010 election, with a link to the provider selected by Sugar Labs.
- 2010-11-01: Email sent out to existing 2008/2009 members to request that they confirm their membership
- 2010-10-??: Second email sent out to unconfirmed 2008/2009 members
- 2011-04-??: Unconfirmed members sent a removal notice, with instructions to reapply if desired
This is our Sugar Labs/Members/List.