Sugar Summer Program/Massachusetts Field Trip
We are planning a field trip to Massachusetts to visit some technology sites and learn and work with people there.
This page is a collaborative planning site for this trip.
We were planning to take a field trip to Boston, MA this summer with our Sugar Summer Co-ops, to visit some of the technology destinations and preferably overlap with some Sugar Labs or OLPC project or event. Today, Walter mentioned that he would be more free after the first week of August. Right now I'm trying to narrow down on some dates. Perhaps we could arrange to provide ourselves as work resources for several days to one of Caroline's projects, overlap with the ¿Worcester meeting?, or something else yet to come to mind. We called this idea a 'work & tour' party or crew.
- The remote co-ops have not had the opportunity for an "around the summer campfire" experience, and this would be a big goal for the trip for all the rest of us too. We want to include you in that because no one in Rochester has any Sugar Labs or OLPC event experience (and I think you would have some good stories and thinking to share).
There are a couple of awkward issues though:
- Hotel rooms wouldn't be the right lodging for a summer campfire. We need to solicit in-home hosting 1 or 2 co-ops per home (although I'd be happy to bring a tent, and camp in the yard somewhere to keep us close together [Wesley is a camper]). Perhaps Adam can suggest some options.
- Project teams may be uncertain of the benefits of "hosting" a short-term 'work & tour' party or crew in a project that is still forming a stable base. It may not be a good idea and turn out to be a distraction because it's hard to define expectations. Not knowing what practical service or resource we could provide in a few days of service, makes it hard to generate interest. We would look at it like campground trail maintenance or kitchen patrol--an indirect learning and load-sharing opportunity. Again, maybe Adam or others familiar with the Massachusetts-area (or north east) projects could help match us to an opportunity.
- Dave Farning will fly to Rochester and stay with me for a couple of days to visit RIT and meet the available faculty. We would then take a 1 or 2 cars (depending on the number joining from Rochester) to either Stratham, NH or New Bedford, MA to pick up Eric or Tyler (depending on where they are), stay overnight or proceed to a host site.
- Work and tour...for 4 or 5 days.
- Folks could fly home or away after a few days in the Boston area, if they don't want to drive back to Rochester. Adam Holt may drive back with us to Rochester.
That's what's in my mind for now.
Hoping others can offer some suggestions and support.