This page's content has been reorganized by day, from newest to oldest.
Ongoing Discussion Topics
What's been happening on here lately -- Graham
I've been dropping in information and editing. How's it looking? --Graham
- Great start. Having the framework there means people can start fleshing it out. --Walter 17:30, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Suggested change to Wiki navigation: Change Navigation to About Sugar Labs, this way Using Sugar right below makes more sense, and it's defined what the upper nav block is focused on.
- will do. --Walter 20:34, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Is there any way to browse the images that have already been uploaded, so that I could re-use an existing image rather than creating a duplication of info? -- User:AuntiMame 22May08 16:24
- Yes. Special:Newimages and http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Special%3AAllpages&from=&namespace=6 --Walter 20:34, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Next Q: Is there any way to rename images so that there is some kind of standard? For example all of the logo proposals would start with "Logo-proposed--...". I know that by changing a name I'd have to go to all the pages that refer to it and change the link... But it wouldmake it easier to "browse" for images to use/reuse. -- User:AuntiMame 22May08 19:10
More in light of the above Q: The current Activities page links back to olpc. Should there be pages here for the individual activities? And if so, what naming structure should the pages have? Activity_(name)? Or just (name)? No doubt, you can guess which one I favor. ;-) User:AuntiMame 22May08 20:24 ET
- We should add a new item under Using Sugar called Software & Activities where we can compile a list of all available applications, installation instructions, and links to download. --Graham
- Can Toolbox be renamed Using The Wiki so we can put tips and tricks like the above on the record for everyone to easily find?
- Done. --Walter 22:54, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Now we have Wiki Help under About Sugar Labs (btw, is it Sugar Labs or SugarLabs? It is official referred to as Sugar Labs everywhere except in the web site name sugarlabs.org - Dfarning ) and Using the Wiki. Can Wiki Help be moved to Using the Wiki? And a general Help section and News section put under About Sugar Labs? Not sure what would go under Help, but something at some point, no doubt... Sugar Development News, I can think of things already that need to go there - new comps from the new Sugar build, etc.
Question 1 - Please set up a paypal donation link. There are a lot of people rooting for you guys! Some of us would like to help financially.
- We need to finish setting up the foundation first. Thank you for the support!! --Walter 02:11, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Question 2 - Hi there, I find the wiki.laptop.org site to be very hard to follow. Is the intention to create the definitive online manual for Sugar on this site, with an improved wiki? If so, I would love to help get it right...
- Any suggestions as to how to structure this site so that it doesn't get too hard to follow is more than welcome. Perhaps we can use this page to discuss a framework. The good news is that Sugar Labs has a more focused set of goals, so it will hopefully be easier to keep the wiki more focused as well. Regarding an online manual, let's get started!! I wrote http://www.laptop.org/gettingstarted pages; maybe a critic of those pages would be a good place to start? Also, pointers to positive examples would also be helpful. --Walter 15:44, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- These pages are good. I wish I had found them when I got my OLPC! This would be great under "Getting Started." To what extent can content be reused? --Graham
- Ah. Apparently the fine print wasn't enough--we'd put the URL on the insert that came in the box with your G1G1 machine. We can reuse all of these pages. It would be good to make them non-XO-laptop specific, as Sugar Labs is not tied to any specific hardware platform. --Walter 10:46, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Yes, that's fine. Suggestions to come throughout the day. --Graham
Question 2 Follow-up - Walter, I asked because I think Sugar has HUGE potential, but a lot of people with G1G1 XOs are like me. They slightly geeky, believe in what this project can do, have more skills than the average user but aren't programmers. And they are frustrated by a few things with Sugar that in my opinion, aren't a bit deal to fix, but are roadblocks to them using their XO more. And their usage is important. They will generate more buy-in, support and visibility for the project and Sugar itself, and their contributions to the platform will make it better.
I suggest a few things:
1. Getting Started - the overview on the other site is OK. Bit it could be better. Let's write it like a manual, not like a Wiki. Depreciated pages should be merged and shut down. Keep the most relevant info in one place, and make it easy to use. If my wife can't use it, then we have certainly failed :)
2. Step-by-step manual, by subject. We need to address all of the issues in a package users understand, by keyword section. For example, a section called "Networking" that has all info on connection to the mesh, Jabber, WEP, WPA (which I still can't get to work!) etc... Plus pages for each Application/Activity that provide screen captures, instructions, etc.
3. Bugs page - similar to a help ticket, a place where people can discuss issues, so we find resolutions through either making Sugar fixes, explaining temporary workarounds, etc.
4. Feature enhancements - A wish list where users can submit Sugar components they would like to see, with top-level specs. Allow spec development on the Wiki, and then track progress, alpha/beta testing, and once complete, turn it into an activities page, or whatever it becomes in the context of the Sugar platform.
Etc.. These are just top level thoughts. Sorry to be long winded. --Graham
- Let's get started by making wiki words from each of your four bullet points!! --Walter 16:22, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
What do you mean, wiki words? :) --Graham
- Putting [[ and ]] around a word or phrase makes it a link to new page in the wiki. I've made wiki words in your previous post--they are rendered in red now. When you click on one, it will invite you to create a new page in the wiki, thus starting the process of generating the documents you are advocating for. --Walter 16:56, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Ok, I understand. I suggest we finalize the titles, then insert them into the nav as sub bullets under Community Portal. Actually, or create a nav item called Using Sugar or About Sugar, with these under. Community should be about the different groups involved around the world, local initiatives, etc. Does this work? I've labeled 3. Submit Bugs/Problems (added problems) for non-native English speakers.
2. User Manual
- Here it goes... --Walter 20:55, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Looks great, thanks. One suggestion, change to Submit Bugs & Problems - so it will wrap better in the nav! --Graham