Difference between revisions of "Wiki Team/Guide/Style Guide"
Revision as of 06:37, 8 March 2009
The pages in this wiki should be as easy to understand and follow as possible. With this in mind, please take into account the following suggested writing style guidelines:
- Sugar releases - Always try to specify which versions of Sugar a page is valid for. When referring to Sugar releases, use "Sugar X.XX" - eg. "Sugar 0.82".
- Linux distributions - Capitalize the names of Linux distributions like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.
- Operating Systems - Capitalize the names of operating systems like Linux, Ubuntu, Windows, etc.
- Be descriptive.
- Avoid using the word "Howto" in the page title (everything here is a howto!).
- Use capital letters and avoid spaces or dashes (WikiName, for example).
- Heading text should be short, clear, and descriptive.
- Capitalize in the following manner:
- Initial uppercase letter for the first word and the last word, regardless of part of speech
- Initial uppercase letter for all nouns, adjectives, and verbs
- Initial uppercase letter for conjunctions of four letters or longer
- Initial uppercase letter for prepositions of four letters or longer
- Initial uppercase letter for prepositions that are part of a phrasal verb
- All lowercase letters for conjunctions, articles, and prepositions of less than four letters
(Taken from the GNOME Style Guide)
Bullet lists of links should take the following form: <Bullet> <Link> <Hyphen> <Sentence>.
- For example:
- Skype - Internet telephony software (closed source).