Etoys is ...
- an educational tool for teaching children powerful ideas in compelling ways
- a media-rich authoring environment and visual programming system
- a free software program that works on almost all personal computers
This activity is the Sugar version of Etoys, which is compatible with the versions running on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
More Info: Activities/Etoys
What is new for users
This release fixes many minor bugs and updates translations, but there are no big visible changes.
Audio recording will sometimes crash etoys. (Trying to reproduce now.)
Audio doesn't play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqvjckt9j20
Is there any provision for hosting student projects/ code as being done for Scratch? If not, has anyone identified an alternative place for hosting or posting the _ascii text_ student code developed in etoys?
How do you view the source code for etoys projects?
What other ways are there to share etoys made by students outside of their Sugar friends?
Does anyone have any etoy code that gives the illusion of scrolling X and Y?
How do you view the source for etoys in Sugar? The frame rollover right click view source only show the script calling for etoys to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oezi0hm07Po
How do you enable the preferences so that you can edit code for an etoy project in text mode? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oezi0hm07Po
Is there a code block for activating key board control? If yes, where is it under what subset?
When creating a test I want to use a script1 for Yes, and script2 for No. How do I do that? I have not been able to drag and drop the scripts into the test area.
- Click the eye ball viewer. Look for scripts. Drag your script block from the viewer and the script block into your test. Etoys is touchy and the UI for handling the blocks, compared to Scratch, is clumsy but it can be done.
The first challenge in Sugar Etoys asks user to click on a clock. There is no clock AFAICT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQ-1tfNSBc
- I think they are referring to the little clock in the toolbar to the right of the '!' and the left of the word "pause" or "ticking". --Walter 00:04, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
Subtext: If it's not an easy beginning then people will be turned off.
Check out waveplace.com as well.
What is new for developers
The activity source code was moved to http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys
This version of Sugar includes the Etoys 4.0 release. The major version jump signifies the end of the two-year Etoys relicensing effort.
Originally released in 1996, Apple relicensed the Squeak core under the Apache 2.0 license in October 2006. Then, Viewpoints Research collected written relicensing agreements from several hundred later contributors under the MIT license. Finally, all the code in Etoys not explicitly covered by a relicensing agreement was removed, or rewritten, or reverted to an earlier version.
The new release is now fully covered by the MIT license, with some portions remaining under the Apache 2.0 license.
Internationalization (i18n) and Localization (l10n)
Will be generated by the translation team
Etoys-activity v. 100 depends on etoys-4.0.2206.
- Content v. 184:
- update translations de, el, fr, sv
- fixed lineends in tr
- new translation vi
- 2206positionFixes-sw: 'bearing to' and 'distance to' respects ref pos (#9115)
- include icons for mime types
- Content v. 182:
- update version string on startup
- use ~/Etoys instead of ~/.etoys/sandbox as default directory
- Content v. 181:
- add license button to About flap in launcher project
- add mkRelease shell script to generate user image from dev image
- 2205virtDisplayJan12-yo: Enable screen scaling a bit more eagerly.
- 2204copyright-bf: Put a full copyright notice into the image.
- 2203jaInputDec8-yo: Make Anthy based Japanese input work.
- 2202fullAuthTools-sw: Offer full authoring-tools menu to all users (#9173)
- removed/rewrote all non-relicensed code
- Content v. 180:
- 2201FixOnSugarSandBox-yo: The logic was wrong when to enable the sandbox.
- 2200dismissProjView-sw: Cannot delete remote project (#9058)
- 2199altDot-sw: make alt-dot pause all ticking scripts (#8879)
- 2198unCamelCase-sw: do not 'un-camel-case' user-defined scripts (#8929)
- 2197arrowsOnLangChg-sw: Switching language loses arrows (#8928)
- 2196wrap-swyo: workaround for wrap issues in UserText and PreferencesPanel.
- 2194scriptNameTileFixup-sw: fix some structures in old projects
- 2193newDatastore-bf: Cope with new Datastore using ByteArrays for Strings
- 3.2 edits (license cleanup):
- 2192lastEdits: Clean up rest of code
- 2190removeAudioChat: removes AudioChatGUI and related classes
- 2189cleanupDWH: remove/rewrite code by DWH
- 2188rewriteHGServDir: rewrite ServerDirectory code by HG
- 2187rewriteHGExplorer: rewrite Exporer code by HG
- 2186revertJDL: revert contributions by JDL
- 2185cleanupHG1: revert/remove various contributions by HG
- 2184removeScaledDecimal: removes the ScaledDecimal class
- 2183removeScaleMorph: removes ScaleMorph class
- 2182basicRevert1: revert many simple edits
- 2181basicRemoval: removes methods and classes that are not needed.
- 3.1 edits (unreleased, reposted into 4.0):
- 2177FixOnSugarSandBox-yo: The logic was wrong when to enable the sandbox.
- 2176altDot-sw: make alt-dot pause all ticking scripts (#8879)
- 2175unCamelCase-sw: do not 'un-camel-case' user-defined scripts (#8929)
- 2174arrowsOnLangChg-sw: Switching language loses arrows (#8928)
- 2173wrap-swyo: workaround for wrap issues in UserText and PreferencesPanel.
- 2171scriptNameTileFixup-sw: fix some structures in old projects
- 2170playerValuedParm-sw: fix player script parameters (#8694, #8695)
- 2161jumpTo3dot1-yo: Jump to version 3.1
- make Makefile work on Fedora 9
- use bundle_id instead of service_name
- adjust to recent bundlebuilder changes
- Content v. 179:
- update translation: tr
- fixed scripting command tiles in FishAndPlankton project
- 2160newDatastore-bf: Cope with Datastore using ByteArrays for Strings
- update translation: tr
- Content v. 176:
- 2159putSourceFix-yo: Guard putSource:fromParseNode:... with a nil check
- 2158bkwdCompatFixes-sw: Fixes two backward-compatibility problems
- 2157WsReleasesInput-yo: fix WorldStethoscope analog input (#8608)
- 2156composeTitle-bf: Compose title of Journal object (#8351)
- 2155buddyFix-bf: Compose buddy nick name. Protect against bad colors
- 2154dissociateWSWorld-yo: Complete 2152rmSingletonFromWs-yo (#8541)
Yoshiki Ohshima, Scott Wallace, Bert Freudenberg