Activity Team/Getting Involved
The easiest way is installing sugar from native packages.
If your favourite GNU/Linux distribution doesn't provide sugar or contains out-of-dated packages(in most cases you don't need latest minor release(like 0.82.1, 0.84.1), the good practise is looking for the last major release(0.82, 0.84)) you could consider possibility to use sugar-jhbuild - the system used by core developers to build sugar from last git sources.
As an activity developer in most cases you need only glucose module(its included to sugar-glucose or sugar packages).
Place your activity to ~/Activities/activity-name.activity directory.
To test your activity in sugar environment:
- use sugar command to run sugar as a regular window manager
- use sugar-emulator command to run sugar in window mode(in Xephyr), could be useful to test your activity in current environment without re-loginning.
Join the Activity Team
The Activity Team is newly formed and we are seeking members.
If you would like to join:
- Create a User page on wiki.sugarlabs.org if you have not already.
- Copy your SSH public key into your User page.
- Add a link to your User page to Activity Team/Contacts.
- Subscribe, and send an email introducing yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an independent developer who is interested in working on a Sugar activity, please introduce yourself and your project in an email to email@example.com.
If you'd rather just start coding right now, it's easy to do!
- Check Activity Team/TODO for ideas to work on. To start small, pick an Activity Feature Request. If you'd rather work on something harder, try one of the High Impact Tasks.
- If you haven't already set up Sugar, see Activity Team/Resources.
- Clone the Git repository for the project you picked and register it with Sugar.
git clone <project_url> cd project_name python setup.py dev (Ctrl-Alt-Erase to restart Sugar)
- Hack on the source code.
- Create a patch file containing your changes.
git commit git format-patch -1
- Email 0001-My-change-description.patch to firstname.lastname@example.org.