Home page of the summit: http://edujam2011.ceibaljam.org
This page is for planning the summit in Uruguay May 5th to 7th 2011.
Don't forget the pre-summit tour Apr 30 - May 4/5, as well as post-summit codesprint May 8/9 onwards -- dates are final but details are evolving!
- Focus on developers. It does not mean at all we're not concerned about educational aspects, but as a developers community we have huge challenges and the summit will be more of a working instance than a "reflection" instance.
- Exceed OLPC and Sugar. The developers community goes beyond OLPC and Sugar, and this could be a good instance for bringing "non-olpc organizations" to the conversation.
- Focus on South America. Bring as many south american developers as possible to Uruguay.
A first sketch of the event (preliminary, see also update here!) is as follows:
- 18:00 Opening
- 9:00 Keynote speaker(s)
- 10:30 Workshops and talks in 2 tracks (general topics)
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Workshops and discussions in 2 tracks: 1) Sugar activity development, and 2) Sugar future
- 19:00 Friday night social
- 9:00 Deployment exchange
- 11:00 Unconference
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Unconference
- 18:00 Formal Event Closing
Sun 8/9 ONWARDS: (Optional but encouraged! Separate venue/location possible...)
- 9:00 Hackfest/Codesprint til you drop!
- Andrés Ambrois
- Walter Bender
- Gabriel Eirea
- Pablo Flores
- Gonzalo Odiard
- Fernando Sansberro
Pre-Summit "Conozco Uruguay" Exploration Tour
We're organizing a set of in-person activities for those who want to know more about the Uruguayan/Ceibal experience, visiting different points of the country, meeting with families, teachers, etc.
This will happen during the 5-6 days prior to the summit (from Saturday April 30th to Thursday May 5th) for independent and resilient travelers, committed to "anthropological" learning through patient exploration -- details are emerging here!
Attendees and possible attendees list in: http://ceibaljam.org/drupal/?q=node/1108
If you want to attend, please write us: email@example.com
We'll put here some information about possible places for staying. At the same time we'll make a volunteers hosting program, so Uruguayan volunteers can host some of the attendees. More information soon.
Wifi access will be sought where possible, but not guaranteed.
As explained therein, pricing is $100, with confirmed volunteers/students paying $30 or $10. Attendance will likely be limited to about 100 attendees maximum.
Flight prices will rise, so we strongly encourage you to book your flight to Montevideo (MVD) & register today!
Visas are not required for most US, Canada, Europe, Australia citizens.
Direct flights to Montevideo (Carrasco Airport) from:
- US: Miami
- Europe: Madrid
- Most of South America
- Nearby hubs: Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Santiago
There are also nice ferries from Buenos Aires: http://www.buquebus.com/
An airport departure tax of $30+ may be charged upon leaving Uruguay, if not pre-paid within your flight ticket.
Touristic information: http://www.turismo.gub.uy
Don't forget to register for "Conozco Uruguay", our pre-summit eduTRIP! (Saturday April 30 - Thursday May 5)
Caryl Bigenho has posted some really great suggestions & topics on the Talk Page -- eg. she started with "fun" activities for teachers, students, and parents to participate in alongside software architects -- please join her to share your own ideas, for things you'd like to do at EduJAM!