Features/Background image on home view
Add the ability to set a background image to the Home View.
- Name: Walter Bender
- Email: <walter at sugarlabs dot org>
- Targeted release: 0.100
- Last updated: 22.03.2013
- Percentage of completion: 90%
With Sugar already ported to Gtk3, changing the background in the Home View is easier than before. The image could be set from the Sugar control panel, selecting from the backgrounds in /usr/share/backgrounds or in the Documents folder.
Benefit to Sugar
Deployments could customize backgrounds for l12n purposes. Uses could customize the look of their machines. Background could add some structure to the Home View.
The changes would be to sugar/src/jarabe/desktop favoriteview.py and to the Sugar control panel
How To Test
We need images where the icons are not confused with thebackground.
No new dependencies
The actual implementation was coded by Agustin Zubiaga for the GCI contest . The following improvements can be useful:
- If there are many images to read, the control panel screen takes time to load, should be good load the images after open the section, or change the mouse cursor to show a clock.
- Should be good monitor the change in the gconf value, and not need restart sugar to see the change in the background.
- Should be good add a label to communicate to the user he can put images in the Documents folder to select.
- Right now, the code try to open every file in the Documents directory. Should be good test if is one image.