Difference between revisions of "Features/Revised Browse default-bookmarks.html"
(→Benefit to Sugar: flame about "benefits". I don't have time to say this more nicely.)
(→Summary: revised summary)
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
== Summary ==
== Summary ==
''Point the "start new" default Browse start-up page to the page that is downloaded from fedora repository.'''fedora-bookmarks-13-1.noarch.rpm 5.4 kB''
Point the "start new" default Browse start-up page to the page that is downloaded from fedora repository.'''fedora-bookmarks-13-1.noarch.rpm 5.4 kB''
== Owner ==
== Owner ==
Revision as of 15:02, 14 June 2010
Comments and Explanations:
- Point Sugar.Browse default "start new" screen to:
- "We'll use something slightly different so we don't conflict." pbrobinson
- instead of sugars's default:
mchua: 2 ways to address it 1) improve the default browse page with a few well documented links that upstream agrees with 2) we do a custom default page that accomplishes the same but specifically for SoaS. This is a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish here satellit 06/14/2010
old concept:Point the "start new" default Browse start-up page to the page that is downloaded from fedora repository.'fedora-bookmarks-13-1.noarch.rpm 5.4 kB
- Name: Tom Gilliard
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: SoaS_v4_Feature
- Last updated: (06/12/2010)
- Percentage of completion: 90%
- http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#AN_ON-LINE_VERSION_OF_THE_DVD_: added links in anticipation of conversion to bookmarks.html write (06/11/2010)
- Tested on sugar-emulator in f12 (file locations and names may be different in Soas)
- copied file:///usr/share/bookmarks/default-bookmarks.html to desktop,
- opened and edited with OooWriter
- added hyperlinks and saved
- renamed index.html
- opened terminal
- opened modified file
- saved as file:///usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html
- Started "sugar-emulator" and Browse as "Start new"
- took this screenshot:
Change-Browse.activity index.html-to-use-Modified-Browse-html in a live USB
- In booted USB-soas-i386-20100611.15.iso:
- In Sugar Terminal;
su yum install wget wget http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Modified-Browse.html cd /home/liveuser chmod 777 Modified-Browse.html cp /home/liveuser/Modified-Browse.html /usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html [root@localhost ~]# cp /home/liveuser/Modified-Browse.html /usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html cp: overwrite `/usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html'? y [root@localhost ~]#
It worked after this. Browse has a new "Start-New" screen. SUCCESS (06/12/2010)
- Note: One step farther:
su mkdir /usr/share/library-common cp /usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html usr/share/library-common/index.html
- Sets up Firefox v 6 .xo (experimental on ASLO) to use the same index.html as Browse uses.
- On live USB Stick (06/13/2010)
In a discussion with Peter Robinson last night I discovered that a custom Browse bookmark can be downloaded from the fedora repository. I propose to use this "Feature" to allow a custom set of bookmarts to be maintained that would have a series of links ie: e-books; Floss Manuals; wiki.sugarlabs.org, all of the proposed links to files in SugarCreationKit DVD + The NormalBrowse Google Screen
- This should be a simple edit in Browse to point to file:///usr/share/bookmarks/default-bookmarks.html instead of file:///usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html.
- Repointing the default-screen allows us to have fedora supply our revised "Start New" screen ( or maybe several depending on the deployment or schools requirements to Soas v4)
Current Example (see screen-shot above) works well as an Starting Screen
- Contains the normal Browse links:
- MENU- which points to an On line Version of the SugarCreationKit DVD, (with all of the links to the sources.)
- CLICK THIS LINK TO TEST: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#INDEX_OF_Soas_Features
- The fedora Personal Toolbar Folder with all of it's links
- This Modified index-html needs to be customized by fedora and used for the build of the Browse.appliance in the v4 Soas-spin
Benefit to Sugar
A simple enhancement to sugar.browse
MartinDengler 13:51, 14 June 2010 (EDT) In fact this is not an enhancement, it's a hack. The browse homepage should be made configurable (perhaps via gconf) and have a sensible default. In fact, you should do some research before you hack an app to pieces: this customisation is already possible and designed-for...see http://cgit.sugarlabs.org/browse/mainline/tree/webactivity.py#n354 and http://cgit.sugarlabs.org/browse/mainline/tree/webactivity.py#n162. The desired homepage should go in /usr/share/library-common/index.html . Please can we do some research before we flail about doing stuff. Sorry about the language but I don't have time to say this more nicely.
- Edit the Browse activity to point to default-bookmarks.html or some other file specified by fedora
Does the feature have a direct impact on the work flow, or does it need a UI? Link here mockups, or add detailed descriptions.
How To Test
In a terminal (the Terminal Activity works):
Move to the folder with the file for the default Browse homepage.
Back up your current Browse start page by renaming it to index.html.bak.
mv index.html index.html.bak
Download the sample index.html file from http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Modified-Browse.html
Start the Browse Activity. It should open to a page of custom links, rather than the normal Browse start page. Try clicking on a few links. If they go to the webpages indicated, the feature is working.
To undo your testing and restore the previous Browse default start page, change the filenames back so that the old file is once again named index.html.
mv index.html modified-bookmarks.html mv index.html.bak index.html
If this feature is noticeable by its target audience, how will their experiences change as a result? Describe what they will see or notice.
- When Browse is started with Start new or for first time, this page will open. Custom content with links to web pages will be displayed.
What other packages (RPMs) depend on this package? Are there changes outside the developers' control on which completion of this feature depends? In other words, does your feature depend on completion of another feature owned by someone else or that you would need to coordinate, which might cause you to be unable to finish on time? Other upstream projects like Python?
- The advantage is that the Modified default-bookmarks file is updated from fedora in a normal way to Soas and is part of the build of v4
Alternate path: edit /usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html. This would allow sugarlabs to maintain the list.
- the Browse.xo on ASLO would also need to be changed
- > In this case: the Browse.xo on ASLO would also need to be changed as
> > installed activities seem to be stored in a different location than .xo > > files -(I think)
Nope. This will only be changed in the Browse shipped with SoaS. While ASLO is a resource for SoaS users what resides there is a generic resource used by many. pbrobinson
Is there upstream documentation on this feature, or notes you have written yourself? Has this topic been discussed in the mailing list or during a meeting? Link to that material here so other interested developers can get involved.
- Discussed with pbrobinson initially and mchua today 06/12/2010 on #sugar-meeting
The Sugar Release Notes inform end-users about what is new in the release. An Example is 0.84/Notes. The release notes also help users know how to deal with platform changes such as ABIs/APIs, configuration or data file formats, or upgrade concerns. If there are any such changes involved in this feature, indicate them here. You can also link to upstream documentation if it satisfies this need. This information forms the basis of the release notes edited by the release team and shipped with the release.
- not a release in normal sense