Oct 30 2018
1-) install hexchat in soas
- install hexchat
- In terminal: "hexchat"
- hexchat setup
- Add user name you registered with - see below
- Nick Name (**** )
- Second Choice (****_)
- Press [Edit]
- select server (irc.freenode.net)
- select autojoin channels (#sugar) (#sugar-meeting)
- select Connect Commands (set irc_connect_delay 15); check (connect to this network automatically); Password (password you registered)
- hexchat connected
Getting set up on IRC
We use IRC for much of our communication. Unfortunate, Freenode, our IRC server, has been under attack by trolls of late, so we have had to lock down our channels. Therefore, you'll need to create a "registered account" to login. (You can use an IRC client or open https://webchat.freenode.net in a browser.)
To register on Freenode:
/msg NickServ REGISTER password firstname.lastname@example.org
(Filling in your email and password)
Leave the window open if possible.
You will get an email that includes a command you'll need to type in to complete your registration. (It may take a while for the email to arrive.)
Go back to the open IRC window and paste in the verification line from the email you received in the bottom space.
If you have closed the IRC window, you will need to reopen it.
Once you are registered, you may join the #sugar channel:
When you reconnect at a later date, you may have to:
/msg NickServ identify your-password
Please contact walter @ sugarlabs . org if you have any questions.
2-) logon to soas irc app
- use another irc app (Hexchat) in workstation or Mate (see links below) to register your nickname
- in mate or workstation terminal "dnf groupinstall sugar-desktop-environment" log into sugar at login
- #Fedora for (Autojoin Channels)
- use "set irc_connect_delay 15" for (connect commands) in Hexchat
- /msg NickServ REGISTER password email@example.com
- look at e-mail in workstation or mate desktop and reply
- start soas irc as registered user
- /join #pidora (pidora allows commands and name ((nick)) changes)
- /msg nickserv identify (your primary nick) (password)
- change nick to (your primary nick)
- /join #sugar
- You should be allowed to talk
Alternate Method to logon to IRC in Sugar
- tested Beta:
- "Greetings. Per this fesco ticket: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1714 I have created the Fedora 28 spins/labs page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/Spins All spin maintainers/owners/interested parties should test their spins and at least update this wiki page with beta/final testing. Spins that don't have at least one tester at Beta may be dropped and not shipped in Final, so PLEASE make sure at least someone tests. Spin maintainers are also encouraged to test their spin more often and make sure it's composing correctly every day for Branched f28 and rawhide. Thanks, kevin."
Installation in f29
- How to install (Annotated Screenshots)
- can be installed with
- https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/unofficial/releases/29/x86_64/ (missed spins)
Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1519042 soas starts in journal:
This can be confusing for users
"Fix by hitting f1 key"
- To connect to wireless AP if present
"then f3 key
- to get to main menu"
- james Cameron:new users won't have much problem with it, and it has nothing to do with fedora, it is a gtk+ vs sugar toolkit problem at heart, also seen in debian and ubuntu.
Linux Distributions where sugar is available
- Older tutorials on how to use sugar-desktop
Available Environment Groups:
Fedora Custom Operating System (custom-environment) Minimal Install (minimal-environment) Fedora Server Edition (server-product-environment) Fedora Workstation (workstation-product-environment) Fedora Cloud Server (cloud-server-environment) KDE Plasma Workspaces (kde-desktop-environment) Xfce Desktop (xfce-desktop-environment) LXDE Desktop (lxde-desktop-environment) LXQt Desktop (lxqt-desktop-environment) MATE Desktop (mate-desktop-environment) Sugar Desktop Environment (sugar-desktop-environment) Development and Creative Workstation (developer-workstation-environment) Web Server (web-server-environment) Infrastructure Server (infrastructure-server-environment) Basic Desktop (basic-desktop-environment) Cinnamon Desktop (cinnamon-desktop-environment)
3D Printing (3d-printing) Administration Tools (admin-tools) Ansible node (ansible-node) Authoring and Publishing (authoring-and-publishing) Books and Guides (books) C Development Tools and Libraries (c-development) Cloud Infrastructure (cloud-infrastructure) Cloud Management Tools (cloud-management) Compiz (compiz) Container Management (container-management) D Development Tools and Libraries (d-development) Design Suite (design-suite) Development Tools (development-tools) Domain Membership (domain-client) Fedora Eclipse (eclipse) Editors (editors) Educational Software (education) Electronic Lab (electronic-lab) Engineering and Scientific (engineering-and-scientific) FreeIPA Server (freeipa-server) Games and Entertainment (games) Headless Management (headless-management) LibreOffice (libreoffice) MATE Applications (mate-applications) Medical Applications (medical) Milkymist (milkymist) Network Servers (network-server) Office/Productivity (office) Python Classroom (python-classroom) Python Science (python-science) Robotics (robotics-suite) RPM Development Tools (rpm-development-tools) Security Lab (security-lab) Sound and Video (sound-and-video) System Tools (system-tools) Text-based Internet (text-internet) Window Managers (window-managers)
group persistor md version: 0.6.0
- Schoolserver project
- #schoolserver on irc freenode
- Schoolserver project