Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008
Participation is open to all Sugar and OLPC volunteers and employees!
For the XOCamp-2, originally scheduled for November but now postponed to January, see here.
- Where: Cambridge MA, USA (exact location to be confirmed)
- When: November 17, 2008 - November 21, 2008
- C. Scott Ananian (speaker)
- Michael Stone (speaker)
- Chris Ball (speaker)
- Marco Gritti (Milan, Italy) (speaker)
- Tomeu Vizoso (Prague, Czech Republic) (speaker)
- Martin Langhoff (?) (speaker)
- Bernie Innocenti (Florence, Italy) (speaker)
- Walter Bender (at the end of the week) (speaker)
- Mel Chua (speaker)
- Wade Brainerd (Monday at least)
- Caroline Meeks
- David Farning
- Eben Eliason
- Greg de Koenigsberg
- Brian Jordan
- Edward Mokurai Cherlin (Silicon Valley)
- Greg S. Will try to stop by when I can. Waiting to see the agenda to figure out exactly when.
- John Tierney
- Brendan Powers
- Yamandú Ploskonka (speaker) 15th eve to 20th afternoon
I'm first going to list all the proposals, then group them, then attempt to schedule them. If you're reading this page now, I think I finished 'listing'. The first division I'll make is between people who will be present in person, and those who will not be attending; feel free to correct if you know you will/will not attend.
Expected to attend
- Journal, reloaded (C. Scott Ananian)
- Legacy compatibility (C. Scott Ananian]
- Security and isolation (C. Scott Ananian)
- Translation improvements (C. Scott Ananian)
- "Asynchronous internet" (C. Scott Ananian)
- Printing support (C. Scott Ananian)
- Shutdown menu (Paul Fox)
- Dealing with low memory/OOM (Deepak Saxena)
- Clarifying zoom (Eben Eliason)
- Performance (Erik Garrison)
- Files (Erik Garrison)
- Uruguay observations (Michael Stone)
- What's an "Activity"? (Michael Stone)
- Activities as Building Blocks (Michael Stone)
- Language learning on the XO (Chris Ball)
- Desktop compatibility (Marco Gritti)
- Top Five performance problems (Marco Gritti)
- Web-based activities (Marco Gritti)
- View source everywhere (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Printing (Martin Langhoff)
- Forgotten tools (Michael Stone)
- School Server Update (Martin Langhoff)
- Textbooks (Edward Cherlin)
- Portfolio (Walter Bender)
- Brainstorm: Making SugarLabs the easiest project ever to contribute to (Mel Chua)
- Sugar Labs Infrastructure, current status & planning (Bernie Innocenti)
- The Gospel According to Sugar. How do we make the Sugar message ubiquitous? (Greg de Koenigsberg)
- Report Cards on XO (Yamandu Ploskonka)
- Interfacing with Wetware: Teacher Training (Yamandú Ploskonka)
Possibly attending via telephone
- Legacy compatibility (Sayamindu Dasgupta)
- i18n and l18n in 9.1 and beyond (Sayamindu Dasgupta)
- Link local collaboration (Morgan Collett)
- Server based collaboration, removing Presence Service, File Transfer / Journal Object sharing (Morgan Collett)
Not known to be attending
- MouseTrap for Sugar (Carlos Mauro)
- Per-Country Sugar themes (Carlos Mauro)
- Usability testing (Carlos Mauro)
- Submitting homework (Mikus Grinbergs)
- Control Panel improvements (Mikus Grinbergs)
I think these are not appropriate for Sugarcamp, they are XO specific and would fit much better in January XOCamp. -- Marcopg
- I think that remaining ignorant of Sugar's most widespread distro is foolish. CScott 19:40, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
- Improving antitheft (C. Scott Ananian)
- Update improvements (C. Scott Ananian)
- Fedora integration (C. Scott Ananian)
- Power (Chris Ball/Richard Smith)
- Filesystems (Deepak Saxena)
- Build Tools (Michael Stone)
These were donations made for the original XOcamp; the contributors need to be contacted to see whether they are willing to put the money towards a sugarcamp instead.
- User:CScott (cscott at cscott.net) has pledged $1000 for sugar developers
- Michael Stone (michael at laptop.org) has pledged $1000 for speakers
- Christoph ( christoph at olpcnews.com) has pledged $100 for anyone
- User:Ohshima (yoshiki at vpri.org) has pledged $50 for anyone
- An anonymous donor has pledged $800.
- Peter Robinson pledged $50.
- George Mavrothalassitis pledged $50.
- Gary (gary at garycmartin dot com) has paypaled $100 for sugar developers
- Bernie Innocenti has paypaled $42.42 as a symbolic gesture to fund sugar developers and supporters
- Bill Bogstad can a twin bed in a basement. One person for the entire time period. Confirmed for Sugarcamp.
- Mel Chua (and Chris Carrick)
can take 2 guests(update: both mattresses in our guest room are full, we are housing two guests for Sugarcamp - hurrah!) We do live 15min walking from the airport for those with weird flight times who don't mind air mattresses or the sofa in the living room. (mel at laptop)
- The Acetarium and its dépendence reserved royal suites for their valued Italian attendees (bernie and marcopg).
- Tomeu is hosted by Adam and Seth, arriving the 16th at 9.45PM and leaving on the 23rd at 6.05PM.
- need an indoor surface to spread a sleeping bag the night of Saturday. I am arriving Saturday, but accommodations previously arranged begin the evening of Sunday... Yama Ploskonka
Adopt a speaker!
These are out-of-town speakers (and links to their proposals) who could present at Sugarcamp.
Please feel free to add anyone I've missed; I just compiled this quickly by scanning emails to devel@ and sugar@ with 'Proposal' in the title. If you're one of the listed developers, please add your location and the approximate cost of airfare, if you can determine it -- or remove yourself if you've made a proposal but aren't actually interested in attending, or can donate your own travel costs. I tried to roughly sort by number of proposals made (talks to be given).
- Marco Pesenti Gritti (marcopg).
- Core Sugar developer
- Proposals: Desktop compatibility, Top Five performance problems, Web-based activities
- From: Milan, Italy. Cost: booked for US$542.
- Tomeu Vizoso
- Core Sugar developer
- Proposals: View source everywhere, others?
- From: Prague, Czech Republic Cost: booked for US$720
- Sayamindu Dasgupta (unmadindu)
- Sugar developer/Translation lead
- Proposals: Legacy compatibility, i18n and l18n in 9.1 and beyond
- From: Kolkata, India Cost: $1400
- Carlos Mauro
- Proposals: MouseTrap for Sugar, Per-Country Sugar themes, Usability testing
- From: ? Cost: ?
- Martin Langhoff
- School server developer
- Proposals: Printing, School Server Update
- From: ? Cost: ?
- Edward Cherlin
- Proposals: Textbooks
- From: Cupertino CA Cost: $300