Some Sugar Labs chat takes place on Matrix (see Matrix Protocol).
- Currently, no Sugar Activity allows access to a matrix channel
- You can use a computer-based client to log in to Matrix, such as Element or Fractal. This link should work for such clients: #sugar:matrix.org
- Easiest, might be this web browser-based service provided by Element through chat on #sugar:matrix.org now.
Matrix is designed for group communication in discussion 'channels', but allows for personal chat and data transfer as well. All Matrix channels at Sugar Labs are bridged to their respective IRC channels using matrix-appservice-irc. This bot bridges the IRC channels to Matrix and vice-versa. For your messages to be visible on the IRC side, please follow How to use Matrix channel section
The Sugar Labs Community uses a series of rooms in the matrix.org network.
|General:||Bridged to Libera IRC chat|
|#sugar or https://matrix.to/#/#sugar:matrix.org||For day-to-day Sugar development—a casual, friendly place where Sugar developers collaborate.||Yes|
|#sugar-systems or https://matrix.to/#/#sugar-systems:matrix.org||A channel for discussion about Sugar Infrastructure. See the Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team.||Yes|
|#music-blocks or https://matrix.to/#/#music-blocks:matrix.org||Share your projects and asks questions about Music Blocks||No|
|#musicblocksdev or https://matrix.to/#/#musicblocksdev:matrix.org||Development for Music Blocks visual programming language.||No|
How to use Matrix channels
- A web-based chat for matrix channels is Element, with nickname: (whatever you like), and channel: #sugar (or whatever other channel you're trying to get into).
- Learn about Matrix / IRC etiquette. Try here, here, or here.
- For Matrix under sugar, install the latest Browse activity and navigate to https://app.element.io.
- In a traditional Matrix client, you join a channel with the /join command, for example, enter
/join #sugar:matrix.orgin the input box.
- Connect to one of the above channels, and say hello. You will see a list of the handles (on-line names) of the people in the channel, and the conversation will appear in a scrolling window. Type your message in the command entry area, and press return.
- Contact me for more information regarding matrix bridges.