Difference between revisions of "Oversight Board/2010/Meeting-log-2018-09-07"

From Sugar Labs
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "<walterbender> any slob members around? <llaske> Hi Walter * perrie (~perriefid@197.210.227.128) has joined <walterbender> just two of us so far... * ibiam (~myirc@197.210.227...")
(No difference)

Revision as of 16:29, 7 September 2018

<walterbender> any slob members around? <llaske> Hi Walter

  • perrie (~perriefid@197.210.227.128) has joined

<walterbender> just two of us so far...

  • ibiam (~myirc@197.210.227.236) has joined

<walterbender> not sure if we will have a quorum today but we can get started nonetheless <walterbender> the meeting bot is not working... but... <walterbender> #start-meeting <walterbender> Welcome everyone <ibiam> Hi walterbender <llaske> Hi ibiam <ibiam> Hi llaske <walterbender> An aside: My 5-yr-old grandson just made his first entirely independent Turtle Blocks project :) <llaske> :-) <perrie> Hi <walterbender> His name is Ted and he talk the turtle to make a T <ibiam> Great <perrie> Awesome 😎 <walterbender> Figured it out on his own. <walterbender> He has been doing some Music blocks with me... we are transcribing the Pokeman song :) <walterbender> #topic GSoC wrapup <walterbender> We had 12 interns this summer. 11 passed. <walterbender> We had some nice results on Sugarizer, Music Blocks, Python 3, GTK-3 ports, etc. <llaske> Oh didn't know one miss <llaske> I've integrated work from Mankirat and Aman in Sugarizer <walterbender> Lack of serious effort <walterbender> I haven't merged the MB work yet, only because we have so many other things changing right now. <walterbender> Lots of UX clean up and simplification <ibiam> llaske, that's great <llaske> I think we should measure integration of works each year. It was a question in the form sent by Google <Ifeanyi_> Good evening all. <walterbender> The GDK3 work has landed <walterbender> and the Python3 work is near completion <Ifeanyi_> *Sorry, Hi all (timezones) <walterbender> llaske, I think we have a pretty good record there <ibiam> Activity release is ongoonb <ibiam> *on going <llaske> Sure but it's always good to have an objective view of it <walterbender> sure <perrie> Yeah <walterbender> In general, we need to be more disciplined with mentoring. It was very uneven <ibiam> walterbender, agreed <walterbender> A few other notes re GSoC <llaske> Some project had no technical mentor, it's a mistake for GSoC <walterbender> We have three reps going to the Mentor Summit next month. One traveling from India, two from the Stats. <walterbender> so the budget from Google should suffice. <llaske> Good. Is Jaskirat Visa validated ? <walterbender> Yes <llaske> Nice <ibiam> Great <walterbender> As always these things are a bit complicated for some reason. <walterbender> but we managed. <llaske> Current US administration don't help... <walterbender> No comment. <walterbender> I need to focus on the positive <ibiam> +1 <walterbender> speaking of positive,... <walterbender> #topic GCI <walterbender> Seems we have interest in enough developers to apply for GCI again <walterbender> I will ask via email for SLOB approval <llaske> Yes but as James said, we need to be vigilant regarding mentors selection <walterbender> Agreed. <Ifeanyi_> I think we do have enough GCI developers willing to participate <ibiam> Agreed <walterbender> We have a broader set of topics for GCi <walterbender> perrie, for example, can help with the design tasks <llaske> Interesting <walterbender> but we need to ensure mentors for each task (not just walter) <walterbender> no mentor, no task <walterbender> I will be very strict this year <llaske> okay, I thought it was the case last year <ibiam> +1 <walterbender> It was, but often the mentor was not around <walterbender> We did have some very responsive mentors on some off-topic tasks as well.

  • Pro-Panda (2a6befb2@gateway/web/freenode/ip.42.107.239.178) has joined

<walterbender> the node,js tasks were popular and well mentored, but we never made a good connection to Sugar <walterbender> I thought it would lead to some connections with MB and/or Sugarizer, but it never did <llaske> yes, sure. On my side, this year I've got the Sugarizer Tutorial that could be a good introduction <walterbender> We need to make sure beginner tasks lead somewhere <walterbender> I have a long list of things needing to be done for the Japan deployment <llaske> Okay, I've got lot of bugs on Sugarizer too <Pro-Panda> There can be plenty of beginners tasks in sugar activities <Ifeanyi_> +1 walterbender. The beginner tasks last time was just on nehtral basics, more like a hit and run thing <walterbender> Anyway, with SLOB approval, i will move forward on our application. <llaske> We'll do a review of task before starting to ensure that <llaske> Cool <walterbender> Note that everything is beginning in October this year, not November... <walterbender> We need to move quickly. <perrie> +1 <ibiam> llaske, every task is only published once the admin approves it <llaske> Okay I see. <llaske> It's better to begin in October to avoid working during Christmas :-) <perrie> 😂 <walterbender> #action Walter to ask for SLOB approval for applying to GCI via email <Ifeanyi_> Can we also have more admins to hasten things up in terms of tasks approval. <walterbender> #topic design team meeting <Pro-Panda> I'd like to volunteer as a co-admin if there is space <walterbender> We have a lot of interesting design proposals in the wind. <Ifeanyi_> Design team! Had this at the back of my mind for a very long time <walterbender> Pro-Panda, I thjnk we have covered, but I would love your participation as a mentor <llaske> Where can we see it ? <walterbender> there are several kicking around... one from last year's Gci regarding colored icons <walterbender> one more recent for perrie <Pro-Panda> walterbender: sure <walterbender> I asked perrie if she'd organize a design meeting sooner than later <walterbender> it may inspire some GCI tasks as well <perrie> Yes <walterbender> This is just a heads up that we'll be scheduling a meeting soon <Ifeanyi_> Before the meeting, a call for expression of interest might also help in boosting the attendance because they are inactive member on the design team list right now <walterbender> #action perrie to schedule a design team meeting and invite #sugar-devel <walterbender> that is it for me for topics. <walterbender> Anyone else? <llaske> Not on my side <Pro-Panda> Nothing from me <samsongoddy> Hello <Ifeanyi_> Nothing from my end. <Ifeanyi_> Hi @samsongoddy <walterbender> ok. I guess we are done <walterbender> #end-meeting <walterbender> thanks everyone <llaske> How to publish log on the site without bots ? <walterbender> I'll cut and paste into the wiki.