School Server/RIT/File Distribution System
An alternative to extending e-book readers - a file distribution system for the server and a client for the XO. The goal of this project is to build an easy system to host files on the server that can be downloaded using the browser activity and possibly a file distribution downloader activity.
This project is broken into two sections, a server and the client.
The server is a php script, this is designed to be a quick prototype/test of concept. In the future, it may be converted into a stand alone python server with little or no setup configuration. Please feel free to comment on the discussion page if you think this would be a valuable move, or to just leave it as a php script on the server.
The code can be found at http://gitorious.org/jlew/xs-file-distro
Server: Under development
Active Project Members
The server will be a php script that will act as a file library for the XO Server (XS). The goal of this script is to build sever that will act as the back end for an application on the XO PCs that will allow a central file library.
- An sql engine. (built on mysql, tested on mysql and postgresql)
- Upload/Download/Browse API as well as web browser access.
- All files will have searchable meta-data
- Files will be organized by tags which can be filtered
- Add/Delete/Edit files
- Configure admin and set basic permissions of users
- Normal Users
- Have public file upload directory
- May manage their own files
- Disk quota for user accounts
- Ability to add metadata
- Automatically search known formats for metadata and text
|Ability to upload/download a file with browser||Completed|
|Modify File Description||Completed|
|Organize files by tags||Completed|
|Tag files from browser||Completed|
|Limit file and tag list by page||Pending|
|Search (filename, description, tags)||Pending|
|API for upload/download/manage files||Pending|
|Add admin accounts