Difference between revisions of "Service/translate"
m (doc of branching procedure)
|Line 99:||Line 99:|
for DIR in `ls ../glucose`; do cp ../glucose/$DIR*.po ./$DIR;
for DIR in `ls ../glucose`; do cp ../glucose/$DIR*.po ./$DIR;
Your is created.
== Adding activities ==
== Adding activities ==
Revision as of 11:12, 1 April 2011
- 1 Hostnames
- 2 Hosted on
- 3 Administrative contact
- 4 Sysadmins
- 5 Language Administrators
- 6 Upgrade notes
- 7 Mantainance Notes
- 8 Basic info:
- 9 Creating branches:
- 10 Adding activities
- 11 Working with git in the pootle server
- 12 Resolving conflicts
- 13 Checking that pootle is working
- 14 Notes
- 15 Restarting Pootle and apache
- 16 References
- translate AT sugarlabs DOT org
For non-emergency calls, preferably send email to the administrative contact.
- Sayamindu Dasgupta has system admin and Pootle admin privs.
- Chris Leonard has Pootle administrator privs.
- தங்கமணி_அருண்(Thangamani Arun) has system admin and Pootle administrator privs.
- Rafael Ortiz has system admin and Pootle admin privs.
- Bernie Innocenti has system admin and Pootle administrator privs, but takes care only of OS-level administration.
Language administrators are typically native speakers of a given language that take on responsibility (granted by a Pootle administrator after a request to the Localization list) for reviewing and committing PO files for a given language. Contacting language administrators is generally done by posting to the Localization list.
More information on language administrator duties can be found on this page
- A backup of the DB and pootle localsettings.py must be done also.
- Backup of the /var/lib/pootle structure
- New versions of Django and Translate toolkit must be installed first
- Restore localsettings and DB backup
Pootle in Sugar is maintained. (dirakx has step-up to be maint)
We (godiard / martin_xsa / erikos / dirakx / Bernie / Dogi) are trying to resolve the pending issues because we need working translations.
To date translations are working, we are working in a new VM pootle-devel to test upgrades of the Pootle/Django/Translate-toolkit stack.
The last maintainer was Sayamindu Dasgupta and we asked he our doubts, i am putting here this information.
The pootle directory is:
The translations live in:
- Each branch (eg: glucose-0.92) is a directory in the translations directory
Each project is a subdirectory inside this directory (eg: glucose-0.90/sugar) These are actually symlinks to directories /var/lib/pootle/checkouts
- There's a script called pootlepopulator.py It is invoked as
pootlepopulator.py category GIT_URL checkout_directory [branch] So, assuming the directory /var/lib/pootle/translations/glucose92 exists, you can issue these commands:
sudo -u pootle python pootlepopulator.py glucose92 email@example.com:sugar/mainline.git sugar sucrose-0.92 sudo -u pootle python pootlepopulator.py glucose92 firstname.lastname@example.org:sugar-base/mainline.git sugar-base sucrose-0.92 sudo -u pootle python pootlepopulator.py glucose92 email@example.com:sugar-toolkit/mainline.git sugar-toolkit sucrose-0.92
pootlepopulator script can be found in maintainance/helpers directory in /var/lib/pootle
As these projects doesn't have pots we most copy them from master
cp /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose/sugar/po/sugar.pot /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose92/sugar/po/ cp /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose/sugar-base/po/sugar-base.pot /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose92/sugar-base/po/ cp /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose/sugar-toolkit/po/sugar-toolkit.pot /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose92/sugar-toolkit/po/
Pootlepopulator cannot create symlinks (what add_langs does for activities) then gonzalo had to modify it to only create symlinks and not cloning thus we finnaly run.
sudo -u pootle python create_translation_links.py glucose92 sugar sucrose-0.92 sudo -u pootle python create_translation_links.py glucose92 sugar-base sucrose-0.92 sudo -u pootle python create_translation_links.py glucose92 sugar-toolkit sucrose-0.92
- Once this is done, you need to create project in Pootle admin - go
to admin->projects and create a project called Sucrose 0.90 with the code sucrose-0.90 (same as the directory name)
- Add langs on the pootle web ui.
- Restart Pootle and Apache if the new project does not show up after this.
- Add the new projects to maintenance/helpers/potupdater/project_list.ini
- Copy strings from master to your branch
cd /var/lib/pootle/translations/glucose92 for DIR in `ls ../glucose`; do cp ../glucose/$DIR*.po ./$DIR;
- In web UI, you must update project Templates, all lang admins must update from templates in each language.
- Your project is created.
Note:The git url must be writable by Pootle.
2!root@pootle:/var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/admin# sudo -u pootle python ./pootlepopulator.py honey git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git fototoon ******** Cloning git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git to /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon ********* Running git clone git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon Initialized empty Git repository in /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/.git/ ******** Switching to branch master ********* Running git checkout --track -b master origin/master Running git pull Already up-to-date. ********* Git operation completed, moving to next stage ******** ********* Searching for POT file ********* ********* Found POT file FotoToon.pot ********* ********* Starting to symlink files ********* Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/es.po to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/es/fototoon.po Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/fr.po to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/fr/fototoon.po Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/FotoToon.pot to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/templates/fototoon.pot ********* Done Symlinking *********
- Then run the add_langs.py script in order to have all the lang.po in place.
- Then your activity must be in place to be translated and commit to VCS/update from VCS links must be activated.
Working with git in the pootle server
The git operations must be done by the pootle user:
sudo -u pootle git log
sudo -u pootle git push origin sucrose-0.82
This script tell you when you can update different clones of activities, when new strings are added via gettext in each repo.
Other important script is pogenerator.py this script re-generates pot in each repo.
If the maintainer did a commit with a file in the po directory we will have a conflict, and Pootle can not do a pull.
Pootle build the pot file from the sources, if we compare and the translations are updated in pootle we can do a pull preserving the info in pootle:
sudo -u pootle git pull -s ours
Checking that pootle is working
- When commiting from pootle interface, repos in git reflect the commit as something similar to:
pootle pushed 3fd0cf7b to taportfolio/mainline:master on March 04, 2011 01:32 Commit from Sugar Labs: Translation System by user cjl.: 2 of 25 messages translated (0 fuzzy).
- Pogenerator.py (in cronjob), it's also giving mails with info like:
Already up-to-date. or ####### Checking POT for Write (master) ######
How to manipulate users:
django-admin shell --settings=pootle.settings >>> from django.contrib.auth.models import User >>> u = User.objects.get(username='bernie') >>> u.is_superuser = True >>> u.save()
Various scripts documented here:
Scheduled jobs :
pootle@pootle:~$ cat /etc/cron.d/pootle MAILTO="firstname.lastname@example.org" MAILTO="email@example.com" # m h dom mon dow user command 30 00 * * * pootle /usr/bin/python /var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/potupdater/pogenerator.py /var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/potupdater/project_list.ini #00 00 * * * pootle git --git-dir=/var/lib/pootle/checkouts/etoys/.git pull 45 00 * * * pootle python /var/lib/pootle/langpackgen/src/LangPackGen/pack_generator.py /var/lib/pootle/langpackgen/data/langpackgen_84.ini /var/lib/pootle/public_html/packs/0.84 40 00 * * * pootle python /var/lib/pootle/langpackgen/src/LangPackGen/pack_generator.py /var/lib/pootle/langpackgen/data/langpackgen_82.ini /var/lib/pootle/public_html/packs/0.82 50 00 * * * pootle /var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/potupdater/check_unmerged_translations.s h 55 00 * * * pootle /var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/potupdater/check_bad_ownership.sh
Refresh stats, needed when the database and the checked out modules get out of sync:
/usr/lib/python-django/bin/django-admin.py refresh_stats --settings=pootle.settings
Important directories in /var/lib/pootle:
checkouts: modules are checked out in this directory. pogenerator.py pulls from git and svn so we have updated sources, then it generates a new .pot file from them. Translated strings get reflected in the .po files in each module, and when the language maintainer clicks the Commit to VCS link, get pushed back to the upstream module.
dbs: internal db used by Pootle, no need to mess directly with it.
maintenance: contains some sugar-specific scripts to help maintain our Pootle instance, they are managed in http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/pootle-helpers
po: contains xapian indexes for the search feature.
translations: more Pootle internal data
- /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/translate/storage/versioncontrol/git.py (Translate)
- If you have a commit error file because of only read git url, please rm the
old /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/ files related with that activity or project and re run pootlepopulator.
- Also if there are errors related with git add, is likely that some lang.po files are not versionated on pootle server, please run git add . inside the activity or project.
- When there are commit to cvs/update to cvs links missing in activities or projects please check git url in .git/config , this URL must be writable by pootle.
Restarting Pootle and apache
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart service pootle start or /etc/init.d/pootle restart