- http://translate.sugarlabs.org/status, status page
- http://translate.sugarlabs.org/langpacks, language packs
- translate AT sugarlabs DOT org
For non-emergency calls, preferably send email to the administrative contact.
- Chris Leonard has Pootle administrator privs.
- Rafael Ortiz has system admin and Pootle admin privs.
- Bernie Innocenti has system admin and Pootle administrator privs, but takes care only of OS-level administration.
- Sayamindu Dasgupta is the former admin. He still has an emeritus sysadmin account and he can be very helpful if contacted by email.
Language administrators are typically native speakers of a given language that take on responsibility (granted by a Pootle administrator after a request to the Localization list) for reviewing and committing PO files for a given language. Contacting language administrators is generally done by posting to the Localization list.
More information on language administrator duties can be found on this page
- A backup of the DB and pootle localsettings.py must be done also.
- Backup of the /var/lib/pootle structure
- New versions of Django and Translate toolkit must be installed first
- Restore localsettings and DB backup
Pootle in Sugar is maintained. (dirakx has step-up to be maint)
We (godiard / martin_xsa / erikos / dirakx / Bernie / Dogi) are trying to resolve the pending issues because we need working translations.
To date translations are working, we are working in a new VM pootle-devel to test upgrades of the Pootle/Django/Translate-toolkit stack.
The last maintainer was Sayamindu Dasgupta and we asked he our doubts, i am putting here this information.
Important files and directories in the root directory,
Sources are checked out in this directory and being used to keep final
.po files. The hierarchy is:
Pootle uses this directory as a sources of files to translate, it contains symlinks to files from the
checkouts directory. The hierarchy is:
Contains some sugar-specific scripts to help maintain our Pootle instance, they are managed in http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/pootle-helpers.
This is an Ini file that contains configuration for all used sources repositories. Each section describes one sources repository, where section name is full path, in form of
/var/lib/pootle/checkouts/pootle-project/pootle-filename/some-path-within-sources/pot-file, to the
.pot file, and contains following options:
projectrequired, meaning-less project name;
vcsrequired, the type of VCS for; supported values are:
methodrequired, the method how to generate
.potfiles from sources; supported values are:
intltoolfor intltool based projects;
ignore-filesoptional, the semicolon separated list of file paths that are relative to the sources root; if
bundlebuilderthis value will be used to ignore while producing
potupdater/pogenerator.pypulls from git and svn so we have updated sources, then it generates a new .pot file from them. Translated strings get reflected in the .po files in each module, and when the language maintainer clicks the Commit to VCS link, get pushed back to the upstream module.
misc/pootle.cronall daily basis routines.
Create new Pootle project
- Create new project in Pootle admin menu, admin->projects;
- Add all needed langs;
- Checkout all sources using command:
sudo -u pootle -i python maintenance/helpers/admin/pootlepopulator.py pootle-project git-clone-url pootle-filename-wo-po-suffix git-branch
- Add new sections to the project_list.ini file to describe new
pootleuser to generate all sufficient files;
- Click rescan the project files in Templates->Project->Files to reveal newly created
- Click Update from templates for all languages in newly created project to peek up
.pofiles symlinked by
Note:The git url must be writable by Pootle.
2!root@pootle:/var/lib/pootle/maintenance/helpers/admin# sudo -u pootle python ./pootlepopulator.py honey git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git fototoon ******** Cloning git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git to /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon ********* Running git clone git://git.sugarlabs.org/fototoon/mainline.git /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon Initialized empty Git repository in /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/.git/ ******** Switching to branch master ********* Running git checkout --track -b master origin/master Running git pull Already up-to-date. ********* Git operation completed, moving to next stage ******** ********* Searching for POT file ********* ********* Found POT file FotoToon.pot ********* ********* Starting to symlink files ********* Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/es.po to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/es/fototoon.po Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/fr.po to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/fr/fototoon.po Linking /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/honey/fototoon/po/FotoToon.pot to /var/lib/pootle/translations/honey/templates/fototoon.pot ********* Done Symlinking *********
- Do update from templates on the templates project on Pootle's frontend.
- Then run the add_langs.py script in order to have all the lang.po in place.
- Then your activity must be in place to be translated and commit to VCS/update from VCS links must be activated.
Working with git in the pootle server
The git operations must be done by the pootle user:
sudo -u pootle git log
sudo -u pootle git push origin sucrose-0.82
This script tell you when you can update different clones of activities, when new strings are added via gettext in each repo.
Other important script is pogenerator.py this script re-generates pot in each repo.
If the maintainer did a commit with a file in the po directory we will have a conflict, and Pootle can not do a pull.
Pootle build the pot file from the sources, if we compare and the translations are updated in pootle we can do a pull preserving the info in pootle:
sudo -u pootle git pull -s ours
Checking that pootle is working
- When commiting from pootle interface, repos in git reflect the commit as something similar to:
pootle pushed 3fd0cf7b to taportfolio/mainline:master on March 04, 2011 01:32 Commit from Sugar Labs: Translation System by user cjl.: 2 of 25 messages translated (0 fuzzy).
- Pogenerator.py (in cronjob), it's also giving mails with info like:
Already up-to-date. or ####### Checking POT for Write (master) ######
- How to manipulate users:
django-admin shell --settings=pootle.settings >>> from django.contrib.auth.models import User >>> u = User.objects.get(username='bernie') >>> u.is_superuser = True >>> u.save()
- Refresh stats, needed when the database and the checked out modules get out of sync:
sudo -u pootle django-admin refresh_stats --settings=pootle.settings
- If you have a commit error file because of only read git url, please rm the old /var/lib/pootle/checkouts/ files related with that activity or project and re run pootlepopulator.
- Also if there are errors related with git add, is likely that some lang.po files are not versionated on pootle server, please run git add . inside the activity or project.
- When there are commit to cvs/update to cvs links missing in activities or projects please check git url in .git/config , this URL must be writable by pootle.
- /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/translate/storage/versioncontrol/git.py (Translate)