Wiki Team/Guide/Page Creation
This section deals with how to create pages on the Sugar Labs wiki.
Search and Integrate. Don't Duplicate.
Before adding a page to the wiki, make sure you do a comprehensive search.
- Recent Changes - See where people are currently working.
- Search - Search or browse the database in various ways.
- All Pages - A list of all pages in the wiki.
- Don't add another page if a guide, article, or document already exists on a particular subject.
- If you think the existing document could be better, is out of date, or missing something, then improve it!
- Either add or integrate the material with the existing page in the appropriate place.
Create the Page
There are several ways to create a new page but all of them require that you first Log-in
By visiting the page
- Type the address for the new page into the address bar of your browser. Since the page does not exists because you performed the searches discussed above, MediaWiki will suggest to create it.
- Select a template from the left side of the page that opens. DocumentationTemplate is a default template you can use for any page. There are also some specialized templates to choose from.
- Edit another page
- Add a link to the new page as [[Name With Spaces]]
- Save the page and click the new link
- Click one of the template names
- Edit your new page and save it
Try to reuse the markup from a sibling page or another page at the same level.
We make extensive use of category tags in the wiki. Please add an appropriate tag to any new page you create. It is simply a matter of adding a category at the end of the page, e.g., [[Category:Wiki]] will add the Wiki category to a page. See Special:Categories for all categories.