The 3G connectivity availability was only the first step. Next step consist in giving teachers and students an easy-to-use mechanism to share this resource to their community. This feature is a popular request from many deployments, including Paraguay and Uruguay.
- Name: Martin Abente
- Email: <tch AT sugarlabs DOT org>
- Targeted release: (0.9x)
- Percentage of completion: 50% (code review stage)
Provide a easy-to-use mechanism to share 3G connection over wireless network. This can be easily done using network manager's native functionalities through custom adhoc networks.
Benefit to Sugar
Extend connectivity capabilities.
sugar/extensions/deviceicon/network.py (frame device icon source)
Guess we should follow the same metaphor that is being used on activities. A single button with the "private" or "My Neighbourhood" label,
How To Test
1. Plug GSM modem.
2. Click on "Connect" item on GSM device palette
3. When connected, a new item should de displayed in the GSM palette.
4. Toggling this new item should enable or disable a custom shared adhoc network over wireless (wifi) device.
Network Manager 0.7 or newer.
The use of this feature should be straightforward.
Nothing to be released (yet).
Comments and Discussion
Please follow the DESIGN discussion at the sugar-devel list.