I think I have a comprehensive field look on how Sugar is used in schools and how developers communities can contribute. Part of my experience is documented in the blog: proyecto-ceibal.blogspot.com; some of its articles have been translated by volunteers in olpc-ceibal.blogspot.com.
I've worked on some projects related to Plan Ceibal and the 1:1 educational model:
- Proyecto Flor de Ceibo with Universidad de la República.
- ILATIS (Social Impact of 1:1 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean) with Fundación DESEM, within an international research team supported by IDRC-CRDI.
- Founding member of ceibalJAM!, a community of free educational software developers in Uruguay.
- Compiled and produced in 2008 the book "Ceibal en la sociedad del siglo XXI", which can be downloaded here.
- Organizaion of eduJAM! 2011
- Compiled and produced in 2008 the book "Movilización Social para Ceibal". See the website: http://www.movilizacionsocial.net
I'm currently working for Activity Central, a company specialized in bringing schools, companies, and the open source software community together.