FileShare is an activity that allows the user to share files from their journal.
The activity prompts the user for a list of files. When a user joins the shared activity, they are shown the file list where they can choose which files they would like to download.
The activity was based off a concept activity called Distribute
The project is under active development. I am currently looking for bug reports as well as suggestions for further improvement. Check out the current Dev Release (Dec. 26, 2009) or source code.
If you have found a bug, please report it the google group page or email to our google group email address.
- Activity can be loaded up and files can be added and removed from the file list
- It can be shared and users who join are able to download files (journal entries) from the file list and have them installed into their own journal.
- Activity is able to keep and resume
- On closing, the system asks the user if they wish to keep the files with the activity. If they do, the files and file list is stored in the activity entry and can be restored.
- One advantage to this is an instance of this activity can be shared and the files remain with it.
- The server is able to copy files back to the journal
- Useful when restoring the activity and would like to get a file back that may have been deleted or modified.
- Sometimes user interface can become un-responsive during file transfers or when adding large files that don't have journal entires yet.
- (Untested, but looks like this will be problematic)Client downloads file and then disconnects. The server then removes a file and re-adds file (after changing it). When the client re-connects (resumes) the client will not know that the file changed and not allow them to download the new one.
- Work around: Close the activity and delete it's entry in the journal. When re-connecting, it will allow all downloads as expected as it doesn't know that you already downloaded that file.
- [Cannot Consistently Reproduce] Permission Denied when reading files on a flash drive
- Clients needs to communicate more to the server. In the current state, the server is not aware of the number of clients currently downloading files.
- Should show user who is currently downloading what files
- Download count on each file
- Prevent/Notify user from closing the activity while users are downloading from them.
- Integration to the school server
- Current plans are to have a server running on the school server as well allowing authorized users to upload files to the school server as well.
- Display icons for the journal entry type
Detailed change log can be found on our change log page in our google group.
- 2009-12-11: Initial release
- 2009-12-14: FileShare-2.xo
- 2009-12-15: FileShare-3.xo
- 2009-12-18: FileShare-4.xo
- 2009-12-26: FileShare-5.xo