Default or optional feature
"Not only am I basing this on the inclusion of a similar feature in OS X, I am also basing this on the fact that some Nigerian children reportedly visited a Web site containing pornography. I have no other evidence." (Ryan)
How often would this feature be used? How do we estimate this?
Does this feature enhance or detract from Sugar's effectiveness for facilitating learning.
A central platform of OLPC and Sugar is that children should be creators rather than consumers. This has been facilitated in a number of ways, show source, cloning Activities, easy reflashing of the OS. Any locking down of the software would be inconsistent with the design philosophy.
There are a number of potential ways to circumvent parental controls
- switching to Gnome
- using Pippy to create a browser
- using Turtle Blocks to create a browser (yes its easy!)
- using Develop to create a browser
- cloning an Activity
- installing another browser Activity
- installing Browse with an altered name
- reflashing with a different build