Tutorials/Chatting with the Chat Activity
From Sugar Labs
- Communicate with other Sugar Learners and developers.
- Chat is an example of a shared Activity, which allows Collaboration over a network.
- There are many different shared Activities in Sugar
- Collaboration is one of Sugar's strongest features.
- The Home view (F3) appears
- The Chat icon is on the right side of the Spiral of Activities
- You must be connected to a network for Chat to Collaborate.
- Click on the Chat icon.
- Click on the 'white disc with a dot inside' icon on the Activity toolbar.
- Click in the drop-down palette menu.
- You must run Chat as a shared session for it to collaborate.
- You are now collaborating in a shared Activity session.
- Your shared Chat session will show as an icon on the Neighborhood view (F1).
- Other Learners can join your Chat session from their Neighborhood view.
Send Chat message
- Type your message in the bottom text entry box of Chat.
- Hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Here Testing Chat is the message
- Note that the Learner's avatar name is displayed on the line before the message.
- In this case, Tris5-sugar: Testing Chat
- This becomes useful if several other Learners join the Chat session.
Use emoticons in your chat
Click on the "happy face" icon on the toolbar.
- A drop-down palette menu appears and you can click on any of the emoticons on it.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- The emoticon is added to your message.
- This is an example of joining another Learner's shared Chat session.
- Click in the Frame or press the F1 key and you switch to the Neighborhood view.
- Move the mouse pointer away from screen/window edge to retract the Frame.
- Join another Learner's shared Chat session.
- You can see your messages in yellow and the other Learner's messages in blue.
- Other Learners' colors will match the colors of their XO avatar.
- It will not always be blue.
- Move the mouse pointer to a corner of the screen/window.
- Wait until the Frame extends.
- This screenshot is from a newly shared Chat session.
- An icon for the running Chat Activity is displayed on the top bar of the Frame.
- Avatars of the 2 connected Learners are displayed on the right bar of the Frame.
- Icon for the Learner - (Has the same pop-up palette menu as shown in the Home view version of the icon (not shown).
- Pop-out palette menu for the Learner sharing this Chat session - Remove Friend (shown)
- Click on the white octagon icon with a black square in it, on the right side of the toolbar.
- Stop Ctrl+Q appears on the drop-down palette label.
- Click on it.
- You return to the Home view screen.