Sugarcamp SF 2012
SugarCamp++ will be Mon Oct 22 to Wed Oct 24 in San Francisco, immediately following OLPC SF's global community summit: http://olpcSF.org/summit
Presenting an opportunity for all to begin real hacking & implementation of the tech/learning/organizational ideas exchanged over the weekend summit
We strongly welcome new participants. Read up on ongoing projects, think about volunteering with Sugar Labs and OLPC, open your imagination to what open-learning-for-all might become -- and put yourself on the map :)
Please add project topics below if you will give them legs :)
- XOrduino, Curricular Arcs, Streamlined Teacher Training
- School Server Community Edition (hassle-free ICDL, Yes We Khan, lessons learned from Oct 19-21 demo classroom @ SFSU? etc)
- Sugar 0.98 & 1.0 and what lies beyond (vs Windows 8 releasing Fri Oct 26 ;)
- Hackers Without Borders, Feedback from Small/Medium-sized Deployments, NewCo, ALEARN
- Documentation within Sugar; Video Tutorials; Books/Histories of OLPC/Sugar
- Power Infrastructure: developing countries' schools need what??
Relevant SF Communities
- Award-winning anarchistic SF educational hackerspace: http://Noisebridge.net
- Silicon Valley-San Francisco Bay Area Python Interest Group, meets Oct 25: http://BayPIGgies.net
Please add your name if you will come & contribute to the future of Sugar/OLPC or similar -- include 2 words about your preferred project:
- Adam Holt, Boston (in SF Oct 18-25?)
- Alex Kleider, SF - XS Community Edition
- Anish Mangal, UMichigan (former Dextrose Project Manager)
- Bastien Guerry? Paris - XS Community Edition?
- Bernie Innocenti, Boston
- Bill Stelzer? US Virgin Islands
- Caryl Bigenho? Los Angeles
- Christoph Derndorfer, Vienna (hopefully in SF Oct 17-25 but TBC)
- Cherry Withers? San Jose CA | Philippines
- Christine Murakami? Columbus Ohio
- Claudia Urrea? Boston | Colombia
- Craig Perue, Jamaica - Curricular Arcs
- CScott Ananian? Boston - XOrduino?
- Daniel Drake, Nicaragua (will attend but not sure which days)
- David Farning? Wisconsin
- Gary Martin? Scotland
- George Hunt, NYC - XS Community Edition
- Giulia D'Amico - OLPC Association, Miami
- Janissa Balcomb - Lesotho
- Jerry Vonau? Winnipeg - XS Community Edition?
- Kevin Gordon, Toronto/Kenya
- Mark Battley? Toronto/Kenya - Curricular Arcs
- Mary Lou Jepsen? Taiwan
- Matt Keller?? Connecticut
- Mitch Seaton, Philippines/Australia/Denmark (Oct 18-26)
- Mike Lee, DC (Oct 19-23)
- Nancie Severs, New Hampshire (Oct 18-22)
- Nick Doiron? SF
- Ruben Rodriguez, Spain? Activity Central CTO
- Sameer Verma, SF
- Simon Schampijer? Berlin
- Tony Anderson, Rwanda - Karma Learning System, XS Community Edition?
- Walter Bender, Boston
- Yoshiki Ohshima? Los Angeles
UNCONFIRMED BUT LIKELY:
San Francisco State University
835 Market St, 5th Floor (go downtown, NOT main campus!)
San Francisco, CA 94103
In a modern classroom (or possibly 2!) Oct 22-24, most business hours and possibly Mon/Tue early evenings. Nearby pubs will be well-used evenings too.
Cost will be kept to an absolute minimum (possibly free, thanks to the amazing generosity of SFSU) with reliable Wifi included -- lunch/dinner available for purchase downstairs at the large Food Court.
Note the weekend's Oct 19-21 Community Summit itself (structured talks/demos/panels etc, you don't want to miss!) typically costs about $40/person to pay for room rental, supplies etc. That price would be an order of magnitude higher if it weren't for the astonishing volunteer efforts of the http://olpcSF.org community.
San Francisco is not cheap, but great hostels are available if you book them early. Please write to the firstname.lastname@example.org public mailing list for tips, so you can get to know & stay nearby others: http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/olpc-sf
Most welcome (register & click Edit above!) & also here: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Sugarcamp_SF_2012
Please also join the olpc-sf public mailing list if you'd like to volunteer making this event an important if not historic contribution to global collaborative learning, thanks! You may also write privately to Adam Holt if you prefer: holt @ laptop.org
Drivers and Passengers: Post your ride information here.
- Driver: Janissa Balcomb, traveling from Wayan, Idaho. Room for 1 passenger comfortably, 2 if one has short legs. Leaving Idaho Thu Oct 18, Returning ?Wed (or Thu) Oct 24 (or 25). Main route will be via I-80 thru Elko, Reno & Sacramento. Will probably camp overnight partway.