Summer of Code/2018/Making a Beginner Guide
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Google Summer of Code 2018 Project Proposal
Project Name: Making a Beginner Guide
- Jaskirat Singh
- Hrishi Patel
- Rishabh Thaney
- Shivang Shekhar
- Samson Goddy
- Abdulazeez Abdulazeez
- Name: Pratul Kumar
- University::The LNM Institute of Information and Technology
- Course: B.Tech. in Communications and Computer Engineering
- Year: 2nd year (4th semester)
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +91-8107525493
- IRC: Pratul1997
- Github: https://github.com/Pratul1997
- Sugar Labs wiki UserName: Pratul1997
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pratul1997/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pratul1997
- Languages: English, Hindi
- Time-Zone: Jaipur , India UTC+5:30
Open Source Contribution
- Have you participated in an open-source project before? If so, please send us URLs to your profile pages for those projects or some other demonstration of the work that you have done in open-source. If not, why do you want to work on an open-source project this summer?
- Yes I have been contributing to Open Source since September 2017.
- Organisations :
- CybrosX (Open-Source Organisation of my college Computer Club)
- I am managing one Open-Source organization of my college.
- My first Pull request: Removed Material CSS #14
- Open Source is a self-learning and motivational path for me and I want to completely indulge in this practice for 3 months during this summer.
Project Proposal Information
- Working to make a beginner guide for the newcomers to the Sugar labs Community. A platform for guiding them how to contribute to making these:
- Where to start?
- What to start?
- How to start?
- Where to submit?
- We need to convert the markdown and grasp the information from different places to bring all the information at a single place which can also be used as sugarlabs.github.io
- The goal will be to help newcomers to get introduced in an easy way to the world of SugarLabs.
- Working on to make a dashboard for the users so they can get to know about developed and developing areas. Their contribution can be seen also their presence can be seen in the community.
Current Status of Project
Badge Feature in Dashboard
Counterpart the Risks
Project and the community
- If your project is successfully completed, what will its impact be on the Sugar Labs community?
- If the project is successful it will be of huge help for new developers to SugarLabs as well as establish all the documentation at one place in a well-organized way. This will also give first-time users a pleasant experience as they wouldn’t have to figure out all the procedures by themselves.
- FAQ’s like “How to download the Sugar labs projects” and “how to start contributing” would be taken care of at a single place in a decently organized way.
- To make it more user-friendly there would be testing as well as feedback and suggestions from the users so as to make changes accordingly.
- Dashboard will bring all the community features at a single place and badges would reflect how much a user has used our documentation and how much of help it has been.
- If there is some part of the documentation that is not completed by the majority of the newcomers, (this can be seen by the number of badges with the students) then more emphasis will be laid to that part for more refining.
- Sugarbot will be a new project to Sugar labs which could be further expanded and embedded within our chatting and mailing channel.
- In future, it could also be utilized for assigning issues thus increasing automation and productivity. There seems to be a lot of scope for Sugarbot’s expansion.
- What will you do if you get stuck on your project and your mentor isn't around?
- I will try to resolve the issue myself by looking it up on Google, StackOverflow etc.
- Read the documentation of the tool in which problem occurs.
- Contact other SugarLabs members through IRC, developer mailing lists
- If the problem is still not resolved, I will engross myself on some other module to keep the things rolling and wait for my mentors to help me out.