Talk:Sugar Creation Kit
This is a page to discuss the Sugar Creation Kit.
F15 netinstall Memory Requirements
- Now talking on #fedora-bugzappers
Fri Feb 25 10:24:26 2011
abadger1999> Anyone here successfully used the netinstall.iso for rc1 alpha? <abadger1999> In particular: http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/15-Alpha.RC1/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-15-Alpha-i386-netinst.iso <abadger1999> i'm not able to do an install -- I get a kernel oops while booting. <abadger1999> This is in virt-manager -- x86_64 processor, kvm, x86_64
- abadger1999 tries x86 arch
<adamw> abadger1999: huh. i think it was tested. <red_alert> I know of people who were using TC1 and TC2 netinst...no idea about rc1 <abadger1999> Still bad. <abadger1999> trying to unpack the rootfs <abadger1999> IIRC, I got this when I built my rawhide vm too... that's why I ended up installing F14 and then upgrading. <red_alert> maybe another 32bit problem? ;)
- abadger1999 goes to find the x86_64 netinstall.
- abadger1999 checks if qemu works where kvm didn't
<wwoods> abadger1999: how much RAM? <abadger1999> wwoods: 512MB <wwoods> not enough <wwoods> F15 will need at least 640MB <wwoods> maybe 768 <abadger1999> wwoods: Okay.
- abadger1999 makes a vm with more ram
<abadger1999> wwoods: Is that something we can have the virt-manager guys change as a default? <wwoods> I have a fix for that in the works but it's kind of invasive and may not be ready 'til F16 <wwoods> probably! <wwoods> ISTR they do per-OS defaults, so we could have them default to 640/768MB specifically for Fedora 15 guests <abadger1999> <nod> <abadger1999> Sounds good.
- abadger1999 booting netinstall with more memory now
<abadger1999> wwoods: thanks! that was exactly the issue. <wwoods> yeah, we're going to be seeing a lot of that one <wwoods> tell your friends
<adamw> you get all kinds of weirdness trying to run f15 in 512MB <adamw> it seems like it's nearly but not quite enough :) <adamw> should probably mention that in commonbugs too <fenrus02> adamw, 32b or 64b? <adamw> fenrus02: 64 <fenrus02> adamw, limited testing, but i think it works if you do not use lvm
<wwoods>initrd.img is ~350 MB Uncompressed
This may be related to the fact that anaconda no longer has a stage 2 (from nirik fedora-qa)02/26/2011
Meego + Sugar
- Notes #sugar 06/23/2011
* mschuessler (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #sugar ... <mschuessler> i'm trying to use sugar on the wetab <mschuessler> wich is a handheld - would virtual box drain the battery pretty fast? <kevix> there are deb and rpm pacakges for sugar but dont know how it would install on 'meego' <mschuessler> which <mschuessler> i am actually quiete close <satellit_afk> no it will be slower. Otherwise I have no suggestions... <mschuessler> meego has a yum as package manager <kevix> if you do try it, add your results to the sugarlabs wiki, if you can :) <mschuessler> i already did <mschuessler> it compiled succesfuly ..... <mschuessler> however - the project im working on aims at running suagr on top of meego <mschuessler> runing sugar on the weetab stanbdalone wont be a big problem <mschuessler> i would just install fedora and put the sugar-emulator on it <mschuessler> if you dont midn i would like to post the error message here when i try start the suagr-emulator on meego - maybe its just a missing depencie or something the like .... <mschuessler> it runs an 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N450 <satellit_afk> yes I have a ACER ASPIRE ONE N450 here and it works great.... <mschuessler> what operating system? <satellit_afk> runs fedora fine <mschuessler> yeah fedora would run on the wetab too .... <mschuessler> but as i said - the project im working on aims at running thesugar interface on top of meego - so you could easly switch betwenn the two .... <mschuessler> well and to the current state i managed to compile sugar and install all dpeencies i am aware of but i get the following error ... <mschuessler> i have the feeling im really close to get it running <mschuessler> The error is "no module named decorator" btw <alsroot> mschuessler: you need to install python-decorator package (or how it is named in your distro) <mschuessler> hey thx <mschuessler> funny thing is - i just did <satellit_afk> keep trying....people with knowledge are here at different times . also use mailing lists...email@example.com <mschuessler> and it fixed the error - yay! .... <mschuessler> now i get a dbus exception <mschuessler> is that a familiar problem to you guys? <alsroot> mschuessler: could you pastebin it <kevix> mschuessler: could you say what kind of educational environment this is for? <mschuessler> a school <mschuessler> kids are aged 14 and up <kevix> interesting. <mschuessler> its an experiement - if kids would get along with a handheld in school <kevix> there is the scratch and etoys environment which might be good be computational thinking/programming <kevix> 'getting along' in an educational setting = ? <mschuessler> well my project manager defintly wants etoys <kevix> OLPC/Sugar is working on the XO-1.75, which is the precursor for the xo-3 (marvell ARM tablet). so they are working on how they will transition to a tablet paradigm <mschuessler> yup i know <mschuessler> put xo-3 is not here yet - an we get a couple of handheld devices for free <mschuessler> so why not use sugar on those <mschuessler> its a much better interface than the meego one (if use for education) <kevix> hopefuly you can publish your result for olpc/sugar to see <mschuessler> yup we will <mschuessler> we document everything we try and what has worked and what not <mschuessler> here is the current error btw: pastebin.com/DtyBD28m <satellit_afk> do you have a wiki ? with these results? <kevix> mschuessler: have you seen the videos from the recent edujam 2011 in Uraguy? <mschuessler> no i havent seen them <mschuessler> sry its http://pastebin.com/DTyBD28m <mschuessler> were about wld i find those (videos) <mschuessler> we do not currently run a wiki <mschuessler> is guess publishing our results in the sugarlabs wiki would be a better aproch anyway <satellit_afk> You may want to link it here: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Community_Distributions <alsroot> mschuessler: Re: http://pastebin.com/DTyBD28m -- do you have sugar-datastore installed? does "datastore-service" command start well? <kevix> mschuessler: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/EduJAM/2011 <mschuessler> no it doenst - apparantly cjson seems not to be installed proberly <mschuessler> i will fix this and tell you guys if i made a any process <mschuessler> i have forwarded your sugestion to publish our apraoch under Community Distributions in the suagr wiki to my project manager ... <mschuessler> it works! awesome!