Sugar Creation Kit
The Sugar Creation Kit is a community project to provide all the necessary resources to deploy a customized Sugar instance all in one place.
*This content is being edited for out of date links - satellit 05/15/16
Use the Contents List on the right as an Index
The Tutorials section contains graphical introductions to sugar's features.
- 1 Burn to your own custom DVD
- 2 IRC Chat
- 3 Activities
- 4 Sugar-Activities
- 5 Manuals; Instruction; Online Courses
- 5.1 Floss Manuals
- 5.2 The Undiscoverable Features of Sugar
- 5.3 Replacing Textbooks - Booki
- 5.4 Internet in a Box
- 5.5 Khan Academy videos in OGV format
- 5.6 Kahn Math Videos in OGV format
- 5.7 KA lite
- 5.8 kiwix
- 5.9 epub,js
- 5.10 Spoken Tutorials
- 5.11 TED talks conversion
- 5.12 epubreader addon in firefox
- 5.13 kaview
- 5.14 Screencasting
- 5.15 Other conversion programs
- 5.16 html5 Trial in youtube
- 5.17 Convert MediaWiki to HTML
- 5.18 Publican
- 5.19 Online Free Courses
- 6 References
- 7 Tutorials
- 7.1 Annotated screenshot guides to Sugar
- 7.2 Captura de pantalla comentadas en español
- 7.3 Installation
- 7.3.1 Install SoaS in VirtualBox
- 7.3.2 Installing and using liveusb-creator in Sugar
- 7.3.3 * Windows: Create a SoaS v7 Live USB
- 7.3.4 Install SoaS in VMware Player
- 7.3.5 * Windows: Run SoaS with VMware Player
- 7.3.6 Install SoaS in VirtualBox using Fedora 18 Beta Anaconda
- 7.3.7 Install_using Anaconda f18 RC1 DVDx86_64
- 7.3.8 Testing Dextrose in VirtualBox
- 7.3.9 Build_A_Fedora_Custom_Live_CD/DVD_Remix
- 7.3.10 How to Import a VirtualBox Appliance
- 7.3.11 Cómo importar un aparato de VirtualBox
- 7.3.12 Install from a booted Live CD/USB with liveinst
- 7.3.13 Instalar desde una calzada Live CD/USB con liveinst
- 7.3.14 How to make a SoaS.img file for repeated installs
- 7.3.15 Netinstall of Fedora with the Sugar Desktop Environment
- 7.3.16 Install sugar-desktop in Fedora with anaconda-19.6
- 7.3.17 Burning a CD from an .iso file on a Mac
- 7.4 Videos
- 8 Community Distributions A Complete Listing
- 9 Sugar on a Stick - Project Page
- 9.1 Sugar on a Stick Virtual Appliances
- 9.2 Sugar on a Stick/previous versions
- 9.3 Recycle your old USBs
- 9.4 Build a Persistent USB stick with livecd-iso-to-disk
- 9.5 Graphic installers
- 9.5.1 Liveusb Creator
- 9.5.2 Installing and using liveusb-creator in sugar
- 9.5.3 Additional Info
- 9.5.4 UNetbootin
- 9.5.5 LiLi USB Creator
- 9.5.6 pendrivelinux
- 9.5.7 How to install Ubuntu from a USB-Stick
- 9.5.8 Make an Ubuntu Mac-Boot-stick on the Mac
- 9.6 Expert install methods
- 9.6.1 tools_livecd-iso-to-disk
- 9.6.2 dd writing a USB with gnome-disks
- 9.6.3 Use "dd" command
- 9.6.4 The 5-Minute Essential Shell Tutorial
- 9.6.5 SD Cards Info
- 9.6.6 HD Rescue Disks
- 9.6.7 fedora 18 on a macbook pro
- 9.6.8 Building a bootable Mac EFI USB
- 9.6.9 Installing Fedora-17.TC5-x86_64-Live-Desktop
- 9.6.10 Boot Helper CD's
- 9.6.11 Sane Drivers
- 9.6.12 openfwwf
- 9.7 Sugar on a Stick/Sugar Clone
- 10 Sugar-in-Virtualization
- 11 Education Team
- 12 Backup and Restore
- 13 Build Your Own Remix with Fedora
- 14 Advanced Topics
- 15 Subpages index
Burn to your own custom DVD
- Used to communicate with sugar-developers and others
- Click this^ link to enter chat
- How to use IRC <==READ THIS FIRST
- Join Sugar chat room for Help in English (with translations to Spanish on #sugar-es)
- Sugar chat room in Español (con traducción al Inglés de #sugar)
Pida ayuda a través de este canal #sugar-es Por favor, sea cortés y hacer sus preguntas. Los voluntarios no pueden estar en línea todo el tiempo. Sea paciente y permanecer conectado durante varios minutos para ver su respuest
- (utilizar la función de meeting para la traducción de estos artículos)
- Ask for help on these IRC channels by clicking on either of the above links (English or Spanish)
- Please be courteous and ask your questions.
- Volunteers may not be on line all of the time. Be patient and stay connected for several minutes to see their answer.
- Read the Floss Manuals first!
- Most answers can be found in them
- Click this ^ link to access a page with all the means to communicate with Sugar Labs contributors and learners. It includes mailing lists, chat rooms, blogs, forums, Jabber networks, video, mail and telephone contacts.
- the translation server for Sugarlabs
- Google Translate
- Translate text files english<==>spanish
- Google Translate-Documents
GNUnited Nations (GNUN) is a build system for www.gnu.org translations. It generates a PO template (.pot) for an original HTML article, and merges the changes into all translations, which are maintained as PO (.po) files. Finally, it regenerates the translations in HTML format.
- Python References
- World Time Converter
- What is my IP
- Find your IP address
Click link ^ for more details
Workaround for ASLO not working :
- Look up the number of the activity in the Index of activities listing "Activity Number" and then go to numeric list to download it.
- Choose the highest version on the list
- Index of activities listing Activity Number
- Numeric list of Activities
- http://download.sugarlabs.org/images/ASLOxo6-3.iso 3.2 GB DVD (21 January 2012)
- Contains over 500 Activity.xo files
- Use as an off-line "sneaker net"- Download one time and have an off-line library of Sugar Activities on hand.
- Burn the .iso file to a DVD.
- To View tests and compatibility of some of the included Activities (works off-line) on the included Activity_Matrix web page;
- Open the Activity_Matrix.html file in the Activity_List Folder on the DVD with Firefox, or in Sugar Browse 129 or Surf 115.
- Copy contents of DVD to a USB-stick and open the USB-stick Activity_Matrix.html file in Sugar Browse 129 or Surf 115. - (Browse 130 does not open it in f17)
- Hint: Use search window (_______) on the top bar of USB-stick display that appears when you click on the USB-stick icon in the left bottom corner of the sugar screen.
- look for Activity_Matrix.html use open with on the drop down box that appears when you hover over the Activity_Matrix.html file.
- Suggestion: copy only the activity.xo files that you want to use from the DVD to a (fat 16/32) USB-stick; Insert it and use it to drag-drop install a custom suite of activities to Sugar.
- Activities.xo files can be installed by drag-dropping them into the Sugar Journal from a mounted DVD or a USB to which they have been copied.
- You can also install and open the activities by clicking on them.
- Activities list: Activities
- Test_Day:2012-03-22_Sugar_Desktop: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-03-22_Sugar_Desktop#Activities
- Activites Download Page - ASLO - listed on top bar of every wiki page
- OLPC listings: Activities
- OLPC AU: Activities_OLPCAU_10.1.3
- OLPC: 12.1.0 Activities Summary
- Recursos_en_espanol Los siguientes recursos han sido creados por personal de distintos deployments de America Latina y otros colaboradores.
- Design Team/Toolbar Catalog
- make-your-own-sugar-activities RECOMMENDED for developers.
- Chapters on supporting both old and new toolbars in the same Activity plus using Pootle in MYOSA
- Creating a Collection (.xol)
- The Learn Activity: Activities/Learn
- Activity Testing
- NOTE Needs updating 10/24/2013
- Alphabetical listing of activities.
- NOTE This page has been split into 2 sections ^ Please refer to these links
- Tested in Various XO-1; XO-1.5; SoaS and other Linux operating systems, in an editable tabular wiki page. show offered sharing
- Display activity version History:
- Example: http://activities.sugarlabs.org//en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4401
- Look up activity number with 'Most Recent Activity Test Results linked above
- Old Page:Activity Matrix ARCHIVE: No longer updated --Satellit 11:35, 17 February 2012 (EST)
- Tested with a XO-1 - (os883 sugar 0.94.1) - Authored by Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
- Tests on activities in repo: i686 and x86-64
Activity Development in Fedora 17
- NEW 04/30/2013
- Because HTML5 activities generate lot of threads I must confess that I’m lost :-(
- And if I’m lost, I think that it worse for students interested by this subject for the GSoC :-)
- So I’ve tried to sum up everything I know about this subject on a dedicated page of the Wiki: :http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/HTML5_activities
- Do not hesitate to Complete/update if I missed something, Move it if I’ve put it in a wrong place.
- Best regards from France. Lionel.
Manuals; Instruction; Online Courses
(Important Manuals on how to use Sugar Applications and Features)
- READ THESE FIRST!
- Source Links:
- Introduction to the command line
- SugarCollaboration http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/SugarCollaboration
- e-book resources:http://en.flossmanuals.net/e-book-enlightenment/
- Making Activities using webkit: http://booki.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/_draft/_v/1.0/making-activities-using-webkit/ draft-GSC project 2012
- Introduction to the command line
- Another Nice wiki page introducing Sugar
- Features and tips not easily discovered about using Sugar
- Open Education Resources
- Open Education Resources (OERs) are digital replacements for textbooks available under some form of Free license, such as Creative Commons
"We are building the Internet-in-a-Box - A small, inexpensive device which provides essential Internet resources without any Internet connection. It provides a local copy of a terabyte of the world's Free information."
"Download free books and texts. The Internet Archive Text Archive contains a wide range of fiction, popular books, children's books, historical texts and academic books. "
One other resource to look into is the CK-12 Foundation's site (http://www.ck12.org) with open source "Flex books" that can be customized by teachers to suit the needs of their classes and curriculum. It is all free and open source, and the list of subjects is growing all the time. So far, it is mostly high school and middle school, but they are gradually moving down through the grades.
- From:[support-gang] support-gang Digest, Vol 61, Issue 29
- Requires adobe flash. lesson is stored in cloud
"Educreations is a recordable interactive whiteboard that captures your voice and handwriting to produce amazing video lessons that you can share online. Students and colleagues can replay your lessons in any web browser, or from within our app on their iPads...."
transcoding script yt-to-ogg.py
- Hi Lionel,
"I'm working on the same thing right now, for an Unleash Kids project in Haiti Have you converted to OGG format and embedded them for use with OLPC XOs? I've got a transcoding script running at home but it will take a few days."
- On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Lionel Laské <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Hi all, The question about how to get videos from Khan Academy in any language was asked several times on this list. We planned this year to deploy offline Khan Academy videos in French to our Nosy Komba deployment. So I've worked with Bibliotheque Sans Frontiere to get French videos. They suggested me to use KA Lite , a software dedicated to install a offline Khan Academy server. BTW it's slightly intrusive and need some installation. So I've write a script to explore and extract only videos URL. You could find it here . The result of the script could be seen here  as a tree or here  as a single list. Hope it could help. Best regards from France. Lionel.  https://learningequality.org/ka-lite/  https://github.com/llaske/kaexplore  http://olpc-france.org/download/kaen.txt  http://olpc-france.org/download/kalisten.txt
more than 500 of Mark's short math videos, all in OGG (.ogv) for near universal playability, in these 21 categories:
Absolute value Addition and subtraction Algebra I Algebra II Complex numbers Core Geometry Decimals Factors and multiples Fractions Linear Algebra Logarithms Matrices Multiplication and division Negative numbers Number properties Percents Ratios & proportions Solving linear equations Statistics Trigonometry Worked Examples 1 (Geometry)
- Plan Ceibal has a separate Khan Academy Web site-(spanish): http://khan.ceibal.edu.uy/
- Java script needed
- Code samples: http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/snowman/823735629
- OGV files work in fedora 18 --Satellit 10:29, 17 January 2013 (EST)
- Works in XO-4 touch; XO-1,75; and XO-1.5 with 13.2.0 software (Jukebox). Audio and Video work well running from a USB stick 02/10/2014
- Re: [IAEP] Khan academy content 04/05/2011
You can download around 1000 of the Khan Academy videos in OGV format (playable on XO laptops) from Archive.org Here's an English/Spanish index of relevant categories If you're skeptical or haven't seen his videos, his talk sparked a great discussion about math education on Hacker News: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2307532 For more recent videos, including YouTube, there's this media guide: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/MediaGuide Regards, Nick Doiron
- New Computer Science Courses: http://www.khanacademy.org/cs
- Review: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_khan/all/1
- requires java
- KA Lite is an offline version of Khan Academy that runs on almost anything.
- KALite is open source and available on Github
- Git: https://github.com/jamalex/ka-lite/blob/master/docs/DEVELOPMENT.md
- If you install kalite, you can use it to download Khan Academy videos.
- Here's how I did the transcoding for TED Talks.
- "So, I'm walking around with a 16GB USB stick with all the TED talks. They play well on the XO-1. Pretty sweet!"
- Sameer Verma
epubreader addon in firefox
- I'm working on a simple activity named KAView that will provide a minimal video explorer/viewer in Sugar Web
- Lionel Laske'
- Details of screencasting in fedora
Gnome3 has already a screen recording functionality
Note: in Gnome3 you may need to do:
yum install recordmydesktop
As it may not be included in live Desktop to reduce it's size to 1 GB
- F21 (rawhide) Desktop has been replaced with F21 (rawhide) Workstation-live
- Note updated - 05/20/2014
- Pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift+R recording will start.
- There should be a red icon on the right-bottom corner of your screen.
- Pressing it again will stop the recording. The video is saved on your Videos directory on webm format.
- Tested in f18;f19;f20;f21(rawhide) Gnome (3.8.0);f20 Gnome (3.10.2);f21(rawhide)3.11.90
- 03/13/2014 stores file in Videos subdirectory as Screencast from (date-time).webm
- Click on file to play f21(rawhide)Gnome 3.11.90
- Tested in f18;f19;f20;f21(rawhide) Gnome (3.8.0);f20 Gnome (3.10.2);f21(rawhide)3.11.90
NOTE Fails to stop in gnome3.10.2 in f20'
- saves file in .ogv format
- In f18:Package gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-7.fc18.noarch
- Change directories to one where you want to store the.ogv file
- In terminal :$ recordmydesktop
- Stop Recording ctrl-C:
^C Cached 7 MB, from 2373 MB that were received. Average cache compression ratio: 99.7 % Saved 434 frames in a total of 432 requests Shutting down..... STATE:ENCODING Encoding started! This may take several minutes. Pressing Ctrl-C will cancel the procedure (resuming will not be possible, but any portion of the video, which is already encoded won't be deleted). Please wait... Output file: out.ogv
- Stop encoding-optional
- used for this test.
[9%] ^C Encoding finished! Wait a moment please... Done. Written 368721 bytes (341334 of which were video data and 27387 audio data) Cleanning up cache... Done!!! Goodbye!
"Oppia is a versatile tool that enables non-technical users to create interactive online educational activities (called 'explorations') that give immediate and personalized feedback to learners. These explorations are incrementally improvable by the community, and embeddable in any webpage. "
"A WebM file consists of VP8 video and Vorbis audio streams, in a container."
- see above for recording in gnome3
- Software in fedora
- search for oggconvert
- Converts Video to ogg format
- add Programs-Ubuntu
- search for oggconvert
Convert to ogg with firefogg
- An add on to Firefox
- Tested in gnome 3.10.2 f20 - 12/26/2013
- Converted file created from ctrl+alt+shift+r in gnome3
- Load into Firefox in your laptop
- Makes ogg files visible in Sugar
- Select webm file created in gnome screencasting
- convert it to .ogg
- Copy .ogg file to a USB and insert into Soas-v8 or XO-1.5
open with browse
- A simple screencasting application
- uses a non-free dependency: lame
Other conversion programs
- istanbul; Video timestamp; Adding audio; Byzanz; recordmydesktop; and other topics and References
- (references from Sameer Verma,)
"Trimage is a cross-platform GUI and command-line interface to optimize image files via optipng, pngcrush, advpng and jpegoptim, depending on the filetype (currently, PNG and JPG files are supported)."
- 09/21/2013 flash on a XO
If you are using Flash you need to also install nspluginwrapper, and use it to "wrap" the plugin so WebKit can see it. Use "yum -y install nspluginwrapper" to install the package. The OLPC OS build scripts for custom builds use the following command (run as root or via sudo) to finish the wrapping process. I have not verified it yet on a XO-1.5: /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npconfig -n -p nswrapper_32_32 -d /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
- "This is an opt-in trial of HTML5 video on YouTube."
- "We support browsers that support both the video tag in HTML5 and either the h.264 video codec or the WebM format (with VP8 codec)"
Convert MediaWiki to HTML
- Firefox:"Save page as-Web page-complete"
- If these are saved to a USB they can be opened with a XO-1 running os883 switched to gnome desktop,
- or any off-line computer running firefox browser.
- This may be the simplest way to generate a HTML file for adding to the new sugar webpage (not tested)
- "Jekyll is a simple, blog-aware, static site generator. It takes a template directory containing raw text files in various formats, runs it through Markdown (or Textile) and Liquid converters, and spits out a complete, ready-to-publish static website suitable for serving with your favorite web server."
- "Mallard is a markup language that makes it easier for you to provide better user help for your software"
- "publican is a single source publishing tool based on DocBook XML. "
Online Free Courses
- Waveplace Course : Basic Etoys: http://waveplace.org/courseware/basic-etoys/ screencasts in ogg
- Learn C language :https://live.gnome.org/GnomeUniversity/
- "GnomeUniversity is an effort to get more community members comfortable with the C language and the GNOME platform...."
- "OpenStreetMap is a free worldwide map, created by people like you."
- Scans of Historic Maps and other items
- logo copied from: ASLO
- Look here for expanded details on how to use Sugar
- On-Line Courses
- And other Topics
- look here for answers to your questions
- Ideas for How to present Sugar.
- Tech Coordinator Guide and other training materials prepared by Teaching Matters(R) for OLPC in NYC
- Turtle Art tutorials by Tony Forster and Mokurai.
- Tutorials.iso - An off-line collection of .pdf copies of some of the tutorials on this wiki.
Annotated screenshot guides to Sugar
- Click on the following links to go to wiki pages with annotated screenshots covering these topics.
- Communicate with others on Sugar.
- A good example of collaboration on a shared Activity.
- Communicate with developers and others with IRC.
- A nice way to sent a file to a friend.
- Backup & restore to an attached hard drive or USB device.
- Also works to save & retrieve individual files from the Sugar Journal that have been copied to a USB device.
Captura de pantalla comentadas en español
- Haga clic en los siguientes enlaces para ir a las páginas wiki con capturas de pantalla comentadas que cubren estos temas.
- Comunicarse con los demás de Azúcar.
- Un buen ejemplo de la colaboración en una actividad compartida.
- Comunicarse con los desarrolladores y otras personas con IRC.
- Fotos de exportación
- Importación / install <activity> archivo. XO
- Old Anaconda up to Fedora 17
- Make a bootable, persistent, Live USB device from a Fedora .iso file in SoaS.
- Liveusb-creator in Microsoft Windows
- Old Anaconda up to Fedora 17
- Install VMware Player in Microsoft Windows and run SoaS.
Fedora and the Infinity design logo are trademarks of Red Hat, Inc.
- newUI Anaconda
- New version of the installer for Fedora 18
- VirtualBox simulation of XO-1 software
- Build a Live CD/DVD .iso file with a customized kickstart file and livecd-tools in Fedora
- with links to Virtual Appliances to download.
- traducciones a través de http://translate.google.com/#auto%7Ces%7C Por favor, haga las correcciones por errores en la wiki.
- The Fedora-16-Live-SoaS.iso file is a 443 MB download.
- Installs to a 4 GB USB stick or VirtualBox 4 GB hard drive. (The procedure is adaptable for installation to a regular hard drive.)
- El archivo Fedora-16-en vivo-SoaS.iso es una descarga de 443 MB.
- Anotado de fotografías en pantalla de una instalación
- Se instala a 4 GB de memoria USB o VirtualBox 4 GB de disco duro. (El procedimiento es adaptable para la instalación de un disco duro normal.)
- Install to a hard disk or USB device.
- Install of sugar 0.98.2 in VirtualBox
- Testing of Anaconda anaconda-19.6-boot.iso
Community Distributions A Complete Listing
- Not all of these offer Sugar.
- These can install Sugar.
Fedora is the primary distribution for Sugar and Sugar on a Stick
- See these links to pages on the Sugar Labs wiki for GNU/Linux distributions where Sugar has been installed.
|Sugar on a Stick||0.108.1||Live CD/USB of the Sugar Learning Environment|
|Fedora||0.108.1||Primary distribution for Sugar (Fedora 24)|
|0.108.0||Prepared for XO laptops|
|openSUSE||0.107.2||Part of the Linux for Education (Li-f-e) series|
(Sugar 0.107.0 in testing)
|Ubuntu on rpi3||0.106.0||Ubuntu 16.04.2|
(sugar on rpi3)
|Debian on rpi3||0.104.1||Debian jessie|
|Trisquel Toast||0.102.0||Based on Ubuntu|
|Mageia||0.95.1||Forked from Mandriva|
|ElementaryOs||0.94.1||Based on Ubuntu 10.10 & Sweets Distribution|
|Fusion Linux||0.94.1||Remix of Fedora 16 with GNOME 3.2.1|
|Linux Mint||0.94.1||mint 13 & mint 14 Using Sweets Distribution|
|0.92.4||Prepared for XO laptops|
|Linux Mint Debian Edition||0.88.1|
Sugar on a Stick - Project Page
- Also located on left side of all Wiki pages under Projects
- Importable prebuilt Virtual Box appliances
- Click link ^ for a listing, details, and download links for previous versions of SoaS.
- slides (.pdf) from my presentation at SCaLE10X-(Caryl Bigenho)
"RecycleUSB has teamed with Sugar Labs, an award winning learning platform, to recycle USB drives into a standalone computer system which can run from any computer."
Build a Persistent USB stick with livecd-iso-to-disk
- In Linux terminal
- 2 GB USB-stick or larger
- Worked in f24:
- Full discussion of USB writing methods
Read this first:
- New liveusb-creator in f23 and f24
Fedora Media Writer
- Revised installer
- Updated 4/13/2016
- Destined to be Primary installer in linux; Windows; Mac 
- Only Downloads f23 iso's
- Use Custom OS for testing .iso's you have already downloaded
- iso selection Starts in / ; go to Home/(user)/Downloads to find them (select with double click)
- Main Screen (note Fedora Spins - Including KDE - are accessed from [ : ] at bottom
- Custom OS
- Fedora Spins [ : ]
Instructions on how make a booting Live USB device
- Windows, GNU/Linux, and Intel Mac's
- Fedora liveusb-creator - IMPORTANT
- USE "liveusb-creator --reset-mbr from terminal
- Or USB will not boot
- Original Liveusb-creator interface (still used in Windows)
- Latest version has 2nd option: "Overwrite your device with the image using dd"
- Command line Use:
- liveusb-creator --help
Usage: liveusb-creator [options]
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -c, --console Use console mode instead of the GUI -f DRIVE, --force=DRIVE Force the use of a given drive -s, --safe Use the "safe, slow and stupid" bootloader -n, --noverify Skip checksum verification -v, --verbose Output extra debugging messages -k ARGS, --extra-kernel-args=ARGS Supply extra kernel arguments (eg: -k noswap,selinux=0,elevator=noop) -x, --no-xo Disable OLPC support -m, --reset-mbr Reset the Master Boot Record -C, --device-checksum Calculate the SHA1 of the device -L, --liveos-checksum Calculate the SHA1 of the device -H HASH, --hash=HASH Use a specific checksum algorithm (default: sha1) -d, --dd Overwrite your device with the image using dd (WARNING: destructive)
- An easy method for Fedora and Windows, however this method does not generate a separate home.img filesystem to conserve the exhaustible OS overlay (see LiveOS image), nor does it copy the livecd-iso-to-disk installation script to the new device to permit generation of a new Live USB device from the first.
- Note if graphical liveusb-creator program will not make a bootable USB stick from an .iso file:
- (This can happen if the stick is formatted to fat16 on another PC with a different Operating System.)
- Use terminal command :
- USB stick must be formatted: fat16/32; Labeled=LIVE; boot flag set.
- (The LIVE label is only required when the device is to be used for a subsequent uncompressed installation to a hard disk.)
- How to create and use liveusb-creator fedora:FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
- fedora:How to create and use Live USB#Graphical Method - Windows or Fedora
- Liveusb-creator https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
- Does not make persistent USB sticks
- READ THIS FIRST https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/02/04/more-on-booting-a-practical-fedora-uefi-guide-and-dont-use-universal-usb-stick-writers/
- unetbootinwindows471.exe for windows
- (Advanced) UNetbootin Command line
- How to Make a 2GB Installer USB with UNetbootin
LiLi USB Creator
- tested satellit_ 6 Sept 2015
- In windows 8.1 (Yoga Pro 2 live USB no persistence.) Did not attempt install.
- f23 live cinnamon x86_64 Beta-TC1
- For Windows 7, Vista, XP
- Can make a persistent USB from
Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE, Mint, Slax, CentOS, ArchLinux, Gentoo, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, BackTrack, Puppy Linux ... many-linux-tux
- http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide Users Guide
- http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download Download
- usb-installs-from-linux How to Do it Information
- universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3 Windows
- boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux linux (Advanced)
- boot-a-usb-flash-drive-in-virtualbox VirtualBox
How to install Ubuntu from a USB-Stick
- Important information on how to make a USB Stick to install recent versions of Ubuntu.
- "We would encourage Mac users to download Ubuntu Desktop Edition by burning a CD for the time being.
- But if you would prefer to use a USB, please follow the instructions..." in the above link.
- Set the tools_livecd-iso-to-disk.sh script as executable (Properties)
- Caution Use this tools_livecd-iso-to-disk: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=hosted/livecd;a=blob;f=tools/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh;hb=HEAD
- Transcript of SoaS Fedora 17 tools_livecd-iso-to-disk install to 2 GB USB-stick with persistence.
- dd USB install to HD f17 Beta RC4.1-TEST
- Use livecd-iso-to-disk script to write a live USB Sugar on a Stick/Linux, Fedora page
- Also See Linux install script for live-iso-to disk
- Technical Details
- For ADVANCED USERS ONLY.
- For ADVANCED USERS ONLY.
- to make an install USB from a liveCD .iso file
- Linux Mint install to USB Tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
- Also see: openSUSE dd to USB with persistence
- Great for netbooks
- Use (live).iso and terminal to make bootable USB
- Use to install to HD or USB without needing a DVD/CD ROM
- Commercial Duplicators
The 5-Minute Essential Shell Tutorial
SD Cards Info
HD Rescue Disks
- Rescue data from damaged HD's
- May be needed if you make a mistake with installer or grub
- with a Mac using a --efi livecd-iso-to-disk loaded USB device
- NOTE EFI DVD does not install a working HD. Boot stops at "Started Graphical Manager"
- In Fedora 17 TC5 Desktop TC5x86_64 HD install:
yum install livecd-tools livecd-iso-to-disk --format --efi --reset-mbr Fedora-17.TC5-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso /dev/sdb
- MacBookPro i7 boot USB on MAC
-Hold "Option Key" down on power on until Blue Fedora EFI boot appears to right of Mac Disk -select it
"Try without installing" Activities/Applications/ Disks (disk utility}: be sure all partitions on target disk are unmounted. |> "triangle" indicates a mounted partition, select it and click on  "square" for each one exit disks Activities/Install to HD -on left panel of gnome use whole disk non LVM Congratulations Reboot
- Boot Target 16 GB HD (Or external USB HD) on MAC
-Hold "Option Key" down on power on until Blue Fedora EFI boot appears to right of Mac Disk -select it
Firstboot Logs in to USER via gdm
- disks (Disk Utility):
500 GB Hard Disk (Mac -not in use) CD/DVD Drive /dev/sr0 16 GB Drive (Mounted) TOSHIBA Transmemory Partition 1 177 Apple HFS/HFS+MB /dev/sdb1 /boot/efi Partition 2 528 MB Basic Data EXT4 (Version1.0) /dev/sdb2 /boot Partition 3 9.1 GB Basic Data EXT4 (Version1.0) /dev/sdb2 Filesystem root Swap 6.2 GB linux swap (Version 2) /dev/sdb4
- Disk Usage Analyzer
total filesystem capacity 9.8 GB (used 2.8 GB available 7.0 GB)
- Shuts Down and reboots correctly from the target USB and saves settings
- NOTE: Wireless does not work (missing firmware). Use wired Ethernet for connecton to internet
-This method should work for SoaS TC5 x86_64 also
Boot Helper CD's
- MAC SoaS-3 Mirabelle Boot DISK
- MAC SoaS-4 Mango Lassi Boot DISK
- soas-4-boot-test (Burn this to a CD and boot with it)
rEFIt is a boot menu and maintenance toolkit for EFI-based machines like the Intel Macs. You can use it to boot multiple operating systems easily, including triple-boot setups with Boot Camp. It also provides an easy way to enter and explore the EFI pre-boot environment.
- "...the backends/drivers distributed with sane-backends-1.0.24git, and the hardware or software they support."
- "Open FirmWare for WiFi networks"
- "b43 and b43legacy are drivers for the 802.11 B/G/N family of wireless chips that Broadcom produces."
- customize or duplicate Live USB installations
- (script files for making a customized Live USB installation self-replicating)
- Update: http://email@example.com/msg02044.html
- Rebuild/Refresh a custom SoaS iso from a running stick
- See this page section for potential uses.
- How to use a CD/DVD or .iso file to install Sugar in VirtualBox; VMware Workstation/Player/QEMU.
- List of VirtualBox preconfigured importable appliances, and how to use them.
- These appliances are OS Agnostic:
- They work in Windows/Linux/Mac Operating Systems.
- Resources for Teachers
- On left Column under Teams
- "K12Linux is Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP.org) integrated with Fedora in a convenient LiveUSB or DVD media installer."
Backup and Restore
- Backup (Activity) http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4326
- Restore (Activity) http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4327
Everything but the Sugar Journal
- Crossover cables no longer required for a connection
- Advanced - RECOMMENDED
- Make your own Custom LIVE CD/DVD.iso with a customized kickstart file
- New tool: https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2011-December/msg00117.html
- Remixes using rpm fusion: http://fusionlinux.org/2011/11/01/pre-release-remixing/
- Links to Trisquel, Debian and Mandriva on how to remix Live CD's
- Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch
- Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD
- Sweets Distribution
- Sugar Network
- Box Grinder
|Sugar Creation Kit/ASLOxo||Sugar Creation Kit/Activities||Sugar Creation Kit/Sck/Expert install methods|
|Sugar Creation Kit/Sck/SoaS installation variations||Sugar Creation Kit/VMware Player||Sugar Creation Kit/VirtualBox|
|Sugar Creation Kit/sandbox||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/ASLOxo Activity Test Table||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Activities|
|Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Activity Matrix||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Activity Matrix Results||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Advanced Topics|
|Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Autostart Virtualbox Mac||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Installation test Cases||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/MAC Ubuntu USB-Stick|
|Sugar Creation Kit/sck/References||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/SCK-2||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/SCK-USB|
|Sugar Creation Kit/sck/SCK-USB-MAC||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/Sugar-in-Virtualization||Sugar Creation Kit/sck/deja-dup-backup|