Tutorials/Chatting with the IRC Activity
From Sugar Labs
The IRC Activity is an implementation of Internet Relay Chat for Sugar.
See Internet Relay Chat on our wiki.
- The Home view screen appears.
Start the IRC Activity
- Click on the Toolbar icon with horizontal lines Home list view.
- (This screenshot is from another session of Sugar.)
- Click on it to launch the Activity.
- IRC starts
- Wait while it connects (5-10 seconds).
- You are connected when there are 2 tabs on the bottom:
- #sugar <==translates==> #sugar-es
- Enter Spanish in #sugar-es, read English in #sugar.
Join another IRC channel
- List of Sugar related channels for Chat in the Sugar Labs wiki blue navigation bar at the top of every page of this wiki.
- External link above ^
- Starts in your browser
- Here is an example of how to join a new IRC channel:
- Enter: /join #trisquel in the bottom left, grey, text input area.
- /join is a command to the IRC application server.
- # is used to specify that you are naming a channel.
- Click the <Enter> key on your keyboard.
- A third tab appears on the bottom of the IRC screen, labeled #trisquel.
- Anything you enter in the bottom left, grey, text entry area will be transmitted when you depress the <Enter> key.
- This is where you can talk to others on the IRC channel.
- Conversations are displayed in the large area above.
- Connected users' names are displayed in the right vertical panel.
- To call someone you know on an IRC channel, enter the name they are using on the channel.
- Look for their name, on the right vertical column of the IRC window, to see if they are connected.
- You can scroll the list, if it is long, to see if they are on line.
- Enter the first few characters of their name and press the <Tab> key. It should complete their name (if the first few characters were unique in the list) followed by a colon and space. You should then enter your message:
Name: message you want to send
- Do not sent a message of over 4 lines, It is not polite to do so.
- Use your browser at the web site: http://fpaste.org
- Paste/write you long message or text into that site's screen
- Depress the <Enter> key.
- copy/paste the address of this paste into your IRC message.
- To request help without knowing who to ask:
- Ask your question.
- Stay connected after you ask the question.
- It may take a while before you get an answer.
- Be polite.
- You can switch open channels by clicking on a tab.
- You can save the current IRC session, by clicking the icon of a Journal with an arrow pointing at it, located on the IRC Activity tool bar.
Close an IRC channel
- Hover the mouse pointer over an IRC tab and hold down the right mouse button:
- A pop up box appears with (X Close)
- Click on it.
- This closes the IRC channel.
Shut down IRC
- Click on the white octagon icon with a black square in it, on the right of the IRC Activity tool bar.
- Stop Ctrl+Q appears in icon palette label.
- Click on it
- You return to the Home view.