The mission of the Documentation team is to provide the Sugar community with high quality documentation, including learners' manuals, programming references, and tutorials.
Sugar FLOSS manual
FLOSS Manuals held a BookSprint during the last week of August 2008 in Austin, TX; together, we wrote separate but combinable (remixable) manuals for Sugar, individual Sugar Activities and the hardware it may run on, such as the XO.
|available as: or 128 pages, 8.3 MBytes (for saving or printing).
The manual needs to be updated to include information regarding Sugar-on-a-Stick.
The manuals for a number of Sugar Activities are now published (including manuals for Write, Terminal, Chat, Browse, Record, and Turtle Art). People "remixed" these manuals to form the Help activity for the XO laptop; a version of this is on the web at http://laptop.org/manual/
Please help us improve these manuals by going to http://en.flossmanuals.net/write where the editable versions reside. Note that we are including tutorials and notes to parents and teachers as part of the documentation effort. Helping expanding these sections would be greatly appreciated.
Those who participated include: Adam Hyde, Anne Gentle, David Farning, Mikus Grinbergs, Brian Jordan, Adam Holt, Janet Swisher, Morgan Collett, Yama Ploskonka, David Cramer, Emily Kaplan, Faisal Anwar, Christoph Derndorfer, Sandy Culver, Aaron Konstam, and the Sugar community.
Many thanks also to Motive, our hosts in Austin.
- Setup a development environment. With and without jhbuild.
- "Write your activity" tutorial. It should include:
- graphic controls,
The API guide explains how to get started documenting api.
- Probably we should document the datastore dbus API. I'm not sure what's the best way to generate documentation for it. It's so small that a wiki page might be the simpler solution for now.
- Existing collaboration documentation is at Collaboration.
- Morgs, my impression after a 3 minutes look over the available documentation is that there is little written with activity authors in mind, and that it's dispersed in several pages and mixed with implementation docs. Is that impression correct? I would like to have a couple of things: 1 complete documentation of the API which interest activity authors (with good links to dbus documentation since it's used so heavily) 2 A complete tutorial as part of the "manual". One of the Tubes pages looks like a pretty good start in this respect. Does it make sense to you? Can we make it happen? -- Marcopg
- Yes we can! --Morgs 13:50, 16 May 2008 (UTC)
- Hey, I came up with an alternate "reference" implementation for collaboration when I wrote Colors!, I think it's a lot easier to understand and could be the basis for a good tutorial. The only weird thing is, I wanted my activity class to receive DBus signals directly, so I subclassed ExportedGObject but initialized late - hacky, I know. It would be nice if this were not needed!  Wade 18:49, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
- Low level API (non-python activities). We should just move bert document on this wiki.
- this is the page http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API (see Development Team/Low-level Activity API) but it must be complemented with
- Probably good to have a pygame tutorial, it's probably the best thing we have at the moment to do free form graphics stuff.
- Etoys based activity tutorial - we now have an Etoys Activity manual set up on FLOSS Manuals. Feel free to contribute here: 
- Ideally, each Activity will have a tutorial within a manual on FLOSS Manuals. Here's a rough outline for each Activity Manual:
Some of Sugar Labs projects have auto generated (from source code) documentation. Follow the doc.sugarlabs.org link to browse currently present documentation.
- Documentation Team/API Documentation
- Documentation Team/Book Sprint
- Documentation Team/Book Sprint/Outline
- Documentation Team/Contacts
- Documentation Team/Coordinator
- Documentation Team/FAQ
- Documentation Team/Getting Involved
- Documentation Team/Glossary
- Documentation Team/Meetings
- Documentation Team/Mission
- Documentation Team/Notes/1.0
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Activity Packagers Guide
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Activity specific Services HOWTO
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Binary-less Services HOWTO
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Binary Services HOWTO
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Upstream Services HOWTO
- Documentation Team/Obsolete/Services Wrap native packages HOWTO
- Documentation Team/Resources
- Documentation Team/Roadmap
- Documentation Team/Services/Activity Triggers
- Documentation Team/Sugar introduction
- Documentation Team/TODO
- Documentation Team/User Manual
- Documentation Team/User Manual/Connecting to the Internet
- Documentation Team/User Manual/Connecting to the Internet/lang-es
- Documentation Team/User Manual/lang-es
- Documentation Team/es
- Documentation Team/lang-es