- 1 Fedora_29
- 2 Updated
- 3 Download Fedora 29
- 4 Install Documents
- 5 Use live-iso-to-disk for persistent Workstation USB
- 6 1-) install hexchat in soas
- 7 Getting set up on IRC
- 8 2-) logon to soas irc app
- 9 Important
- 10 Installation in f29
- 11 Installation Links
- 12 COMMON BUG
- 13 Available Groups
- 14 XS_Community_Edition
- Updated Nov 6 2018
Download Fedora 29
Use live-iso-to-disk for persistent Workstation USB
4 GB USB
dnf install hexchat
livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 1000 --home-size-mb 800 --delete-home --unencrypted-home Fedora-SoaS-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso /dev/sdb1
8 GB USB
- Persistent Changes after reboot
- Added/removed apps to favorites
- Changed background
- Installed HexChat from gnome-software
- NOTE do not use install to disk from pop-up on reboot of USB
- (x) USB must have: fat format & boot flag
- (x) CAUTION use "mount" (in terminal) to get correct name for USB (/dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd etc)
- also see: Testing/Reports/livecd-iso-to-disk
dnf install livecd-tools
- 8GB USB used 11/02/2018
[root@localhost f29]# livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 2000 --home-size-mb 2000 --delete-home --unencrypted-home Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso /dev/sdb1
Verifying image... /home/satellit/Downloads/f29/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso: efd2561e839da73d7a48603721752f44 Fragment sums: f53638621446242d7c14a1ab1a79f55be54e1c97aa243bbbae61592a33b5 Fragment count: 20 Supported ISO: no Press [Esc] to abort check. Checking: 100.0%
The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.
It is OK to use this media.
Copying LiveOS image to target device... squashfs.img
1,829,224,448 100% 119.66MB/s 0:00:14 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)
Syncing filesystem writes to disc.
Please wait, this may take a while...
Setting up /EFI/BOOT Validation Entry: Header Indicator: 0x01 (Validation Entry) PlatformId: 0x00 (80x86) ID: "" Checksum: 0x55aa Key bytes: 0x55aa Boot Catalog Default Entry: Entry is bootable Boot Media emulation type: no emulation Media load segment: 0x0 (0000:7c00) System type: 0 (0x00) Load Sectors: 4 (0x0004) Load LBA: 24682 (0x0000606a) Dumping boot image to "/home/satellit/Downloads/f29/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso.0" Section Header Entry: Header Indicator: 0x90 (Section Header Entry) PlatformId: 0xef (EFI) Section Entries: 1 ID: "" Boot Catalog Section Entry: Entry is bootable Boot Media emulation type: no emulation Media load address: 0 (0x0000) System type: 0 (0x00) Load Sectors: 19960 (0x4df8) Load LBA: 29177 (0x000071f9) Dumping boot image to "/home/satellit/Downloads/f29/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso.1" Section Header Entry: Header Indicator: 0x91 (Final Section Header Entry) PlatformId: 0xef (EFI) Section Entries: 1 ID: "" Boot Catalog Section Entry: Entry is bootable Boot Media emulation type: no emulation Media load address: 0 (0x0000) System type: 0 (0x00) Load Sectors: 42016 (0xa420) Load LBA: 34167 (0x00008577) Dumping boot image to "/home/satellit/Downloads/f29/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso.2" Updating boot config files. Initializing persistent overlay... 2000+0 records in 2000+0 records out 2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 57.1939 s, 36.7 MB/s Initializing persistent /home 2000+0 records in 2000+0 records out 2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 449.598 s, 4.7 MB/s Formatting unencrypted home.img mke2fs 1.44.2 (14-May-2018) Creating filesystem with 512000 4k blocks and 128000 inodes Filesystem UUID: 2947a923-6e91-4446-b86a-735645e5a188 Superblock backups stored on blocks: 32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912
Allocating group tables: done Writing inode tables: done Creating journal (8192 blocks): done Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
tune2fs 1.44.2 (14-May-2018) Setting maximal mount count to -1 Setting interval between checks to 0 seconds Installing boot loader... Target device is now set up with a Live image! [root@localhost f29]#
16 GB USB
livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 4086 --home-size-mb 4086 --delete-home --unencrypted-home Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2.iso /dev/sdb1
- worked great
1-) install hexchat in soas
- install hexchat
- In terminal: "hexchat"
- hexchat setup
- Add user name you registered with - see below
- Nick Name (**** )
- Second Choice (****_)
- Press [Edit]
- select server (irc.freenode.net)
- select autojoin channels (#sugar) (#sugar-meeting)
- select Connect Commands (set irc_connect_delay 15); check (connect to this network automatically); Password (password you registered)
- hexchat connected
Getting set up on IRC
We use IRC for much of our communication. Unfortunate, Freenode, our IRC server, has been under attack by trolls of late, so we have had to lock down our channels. Therefore, you'll need to create a "registered account" to login. (You can use an IRC client or open https://webchat.freenode.net in a browser.)
To register on Freenode:
/msg NickServ REGISTER password firstname.lastname@example.org
(Filling in your email and password)
Leave the window open if possible.
You will get an email that includes a command you'll need to type in to complete your registration. (It may take a while for the email to arrive.)
Go back to the open IRC window and paste in the verification line from the email you received in the bottom space.
If you have closed the IRC window, you will need to reopen it.
Once you are registered, you may join the #sugar channel:
When you reconnect at a later date, you may have to:
/msg NickServ identify your-password
Please contact walter @ sugarlabs . org if you have any questions.
2-) logon to soas irc app
- use another irc app (Hexchat) in workstation or Mate (see links below) to register your nickname
- in mate or workstation terminal "dnf groupinstall sugar-desktop-environment" log into sugar at login
- #Fedora for (Autojoin Channels)
- use "set irc_connect_delay 15" for (connect commands) in Hexchat
- /msg NickServ REGISTER password email@example.com
- look at e-mail in workstation or mate desktop and reply
- start soas irc as registered user
- /join #pidora (pidora allows commands and name ((nick)) changes)
- /msg nickserv identify (your primary nick) (password)
- change nick to (your primary nick)
- /join #sugar
- You should be allowed to talk
Alternate Method to logon to IRC in Sugar
- tested Beta:
- "Greetings. Per this fesco ticket: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1714 I have created the Fedora 28 spins/labs page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/Spins All spin maintainers/owners/interested parties should test their spins and at least update this wiki page with beta/final testing. Spins that don't have at least one tester at Beta may be dropped and not shipped in Final, so PLEASE make sure at least someone tests. Spin maintainers are also encouraged to test their spin more often and make sure it's composing correctly every day for Branched f28 and rawhide. Thanks, kevin."
Installation in f29
- How to install (Annotated Screenshots)
- can be installed with
- https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/unofficial/releases/29/x86_64/ (missed spins)
Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1519042 soas starts in journal:
This can be confusing for users
"Fix by hitting f1 key"
- To connect to wireless AP if present
"then f3 key
- to get to main menu"
- james Cameron:new users won't have much problem with it, and it has nothing to do with fedora, it is a gtk+ vs sugar toolkit problem at heart, also seen in debian and ubuntu.
Linux Distributions where sugar is available
- Older tutorials on how to use sugar-desktop
Available Environment Groups:
Fedora Custom Operating System (custom-environment) Minimal Install (minimal-environment) Fedora Server Edition (server-product-environment) Fedora Workstation (workstation-product-environment) Fedora Cloud Server (cloud-server-environment) KDE Plasma Workspaces (kde-desktop-environment) Xfce Desktop (xfce-desktop-environment) LXDE Desktop (lxde-desktop-environment) LXQt Desktop (lxqt-desktop-environment) MATE Desktop (mate-desktop-environment) Sugar Desktop Environment (sugar-desktop-environment) Development and Creative Workstation (developer-workstation-environment) Web Server (web-server-environment) Infrastructure Server (infrastructure-server-environment) Basic Desktop (basic-desktop-environment) Cinnamon Desktop (cinnamon-desktop-environment)
3D Printing (3d-printing) Administration Tools (admin-tools) Ansible node (ansible-node) Authoring and Publishing (authoring-and-publishing) Books and Guides (books) C Development Tools and Libraries (c-development) Cloud Infrastructure (cloud-infrastructure) Cloud Management Tools (cloud-management) Compiz (compiz) Container Management (container-management) D Development Tools and Libraries (d-development) Design Suite (design-suite) Development Tools (development-tools) Domain Membership (domain-client) Fedora Eclipse (eclipse) Editors (editors) Educational Software (education) Electronic Lab (electronic-lab) Engineering and Scientific (engineering-and-scientific) FreeIPA Server (freeipa-server) Games and Entertainment (games) Headless Management (headless-management) LibreOffice (libreoffice) MATE Applications (mate-applications) Medical Applications (medical) Milkymist (milkymist) Network Servers (network-server) Office/Productivity (office) Python Classroom (python-classroom) Python Science (python-science) Robotics (robotics-suite) RPM Development Tools (rpm-development-tools) Security Lab (security-lab) Sound and Video (sound-and-video) System Tools (system-tools) Text-based Internet (text-internet) Window Managers (window-managers)
group persistor md version: 0.6.0
- Schoolserver project
- #schoolserver on irc freenode
- Schoolserver project