Fourth grade level educational math game based on the Muncher series.
Last updated: 2014-11-15
GeoMunchers is an educational math game for the New York 4th grade curriculum based off the series of 80s Munchers video game series. The player is a pirate, who eats shapes and angles, while dodging dinosaurs. The idea is to provide kids with objectives to eat certain types of shapes and angles, teaching them the basics of Geometry in the process.
- images from game
How to Play
- A player is given an objective and the player must eat all the symbols on the board that match up to that objective.
- Example - Eat all the acute angles. The player must eat all the acute angles on the board and will then advance to the next level.
- The player must dodge all enemies, in the case, dinosaurs. The dinosaurs seek to eat the player.
- Levels increase in difficulty by more intelligent dinosaur enemies
Students will learn basics of geometry, such as acute and obtuse angles and various shapes.
Current standards to be addressed according to New York 4th Grade math curriculum goals:
- 4.G.1 - Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular and parallel lines. Identify these in two-dimensional figures.
- 4.G.2 - Classify two-dimensional figures based on the presence or absence of parallel or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size. Recognize right triangles as a category, and identify right triangles.
- 4.G.3 - Recognize a line of symmetry for a two-dimensional figure as a line across the figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify line-symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.
How it Works
Go to the github page to fork, and contribute.
Or send us pull requests, which we'll review and then accept.
Contact the developers:
- Susan Lunn | email: skl1958 [at] rit.edu | irc: susan on freenode
- Arsen Tufankjian | email: amt3824 [at] rit.edu | irc: HoneyBunch on freenode
- Colin O'Neill | email: cmo6720 [at] rit.ed | irc: faokryn on freenode
- Alex Nowak | email: amn9666 [at] rit.edu | irc: CactaurMan36 on freenode