EduJAM/2011/Conozco Uruguay Tour
eduTRIP! 2011 --- Community Exploration Tour --- Saturday April 30 to Thursday May 5
DETAILS EMERGING BELOW AND ON OUR DISCUSSION BLOG!
WRITE TODAY IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!
The Conozco Uruguay (C U!) community exploration tour will bring South American (and the world's) most passionate edutechnologists and committed teachers/mentors together, to witness Uruguay's and Plan Ceibal's profound journey. In conjunction with Uruguay's stongest volunteers, from CeibalJAM! to RAP Ceibal to Flor de Ceibo and beyond. As the single country which has done the most with One Laptop per Child's XO Laptop and Sugar Labs' software (the Sugar Learning Platform) there are few places on earth where humankind's increasing marriage to educational technology is on more vivid display.
Who is Welcome
Tech-savvy education people from around South America. Education-savvy hackers from around the world. While OLPC and Sugar Labs experience is not required -- nor is Spanish fluency -- enthusiasms around bringing exploratory learning into the 21st century are!
We assume participants will also participate in Montevideo's Uruguay Summit 2011 May 5-7, focusing on practical futures for free educational software.
Finally, attendance will in fact be limited to a maximum number of (approximately) 15 independent travelers.
Participants must be independent, able to travel lightly and completely self-sufficiently. Day trips in and around Montevideo, from Saturday April 30 until Wednesday/Thursday May 4/5. Thanks for posting your feedback on our DRAFT SCHEDULE BELOW!.
|Saturday/Sábado 30 de Abril||9AM - 2PM||"Volunteers and collaborators for Plan Ceibal" meeting, being coordinated by RAP Ceibal, Flor de Ceibo, Plan Ceibal, Universidad Católica, ceibalJAM! and Antel volunteers program. In Antel headquarters http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torre_de_las_Telecomunicaciones.|
|8PM||Welcome Dinner: maybe at pub/restaurant Pony Pisador Pocitos (pay your own way, Martin - ANTEL, dancing optional!)|
|Sunday/Domingo 1 de Mayo
|9AM - 7PM||MEET PLAZA INDEPENDENCIA / HOSTEL LAGARTO: Tour begins! 1.5 hr travel time. Visit to a Rural City of Canelones to the "Aurora Project" with volunteers and members of the community and Barbeque (Local contact: Edinson - RAP Conecta).|
|8PM||Suggested Dinner Location provided later (price not included)|
|Monday/Lunes 2 de Mayo||8AM - 3PM||MEET PLAZA INDEPENDENCIA / HOSTEL LAGARTO: 1+ hr travel time. No. 286 School (in the morning and afternoon) in Las Piedras (Local contacts: Oscar/ RAP Canelones - Paolo/ RAP Montevideo). Lunch included. Relax time on your own Late afternoon.|
|5:30 - 7:30PM||Meeting with as many as 25 professors from "Flor de Ceibo".|
|8PM||Suggested Dinner Location provided later (price not included)|
|Tuesday/Martes 3 de Mayo||6AM||MEET PLAZA INDEPENDENCIA / HOSTEL LAGARTO: 3+ HR TRAVEL TIME! No. 33 School "La Paloma" with 30 teachers, incl ASADO LUNCH! (Local Contact: Rosamel Ramirez - RAP Durazno)--- on site they have a person that can translate all the day|
|PM||Overnight ranch stay (Durazno)|
|Wednesday/Miércoles 4 de Mayo||11 AM to 3 PM||Wine Tour (Optional, 10 people minimum quota. Includes Lunch) (Organizer: Micaela CeibalJAM!)|
|2:30 PM to 7 PM||visit the School of Euskal Erria and after that, the "Help Center" RAP Montevideo in order to interact with volunteers (Local contact: Rocío / RAP Montevideo)|
|Thursday/Jueves 5 de Mayo||Option 1||Possible San Jose de Mayo w/ RAP Ceibal (Organizer: Caryl Bigenho)|
|Option 2 (10 AM to 4 PM)||City Tour Montevideo (Optional, 7 people minimum quota. Includes Lunch) (Organizer: Micaela CeibalJAM!)|
|~6:30 PM||Summit Opening Reception!|
|Sunday/Domingo 8 de Mayo||1 PM to 4 PM approx.||Wine Tour (Optional, 10 people minimum quota. Includes Lunch) (Organizer: Micaela CeibalJAM!)|
Alternate ideas: (ASK US!)
- BAP (Barrio de Atención Prioritaria) a low-income Montevideo neighborhood, with RAP Ceibal Saturday Apr 30?
- Euskal Erria
- Las Piedras
- Tala (rural)
- Cardal (1st OLPC school)
- Paso de los Toros (small city)
- Salinas (Bernie recommends)
How on Earth is this Possible?
Volunteers from RAP Ceibal, CeibalJAM! and Flor de Ceibo have spent over 3 years building real-world community networks to bring Uruguay's youth and families more meaningfully into the 21st century. If globalism means anything at all, it means paying full and proper respect to people like these who organize to make a difference!
Hostel-style options to be determined. Uruguayans eat well!!
Wifi access will be sought where possible, but not guaranteed.
Please see Discussion page for questions and discussion related to Housing.
Expect to pay $300-500 or higher for housing/food/bus etc to cover your 6 days, from Saturday April 30 to Thursday May 5 inclusive. Homestays may reduce this cost if we are so lucky to build strong local relationships.
Please write to email@example.com explaining what you hope to bring to the group! Thanks for including the reasons you're interested -- and what you want to get out of this lifetime opportunity. Remember to list ALL allergies and medical conditions, roommate preferences, as well as your phone number(s).
Reality Check: If you are looking for packaged voluntourism and flush toilets at every turn, you've come to the wrong place. Have you traveled in developing countries before? You must be an independent traveler, open-hearted with all comers, understanding Uruguay is a safe country but not without its risks. And Take Complete Medical/Insurance/Safety/Financial Precautions Now!
THANKS everyone for mindfully preparing together today, for a trip more rewarding than money can buy.
Confirmed Participants: Make sure you are subscribed to firstname.lastname@example.org (ask email@example.com)
WE ARE NOW AT/NEAR FULL CAPACITY! Further school-exploration-tour participants will only be accepted in extraordinary circumstances. Thanks all who signed up below :)
- Aaron Borden, San Francisco (Apr 29 - May 9)
- Adam Holt, Boston (Apr 30 - May 13)
- Alvar Maciel + 3 argentinian teachers (UNCONFIRMED)
- Anish Mangal, India/Paraguay (May 4/5 - 16)
- Bastien Guerry, France (Apr 30 - May 10)
- Bernie Innocenti, Italy/Boston (May 5 - 10/11)
- Bert Freudenberg, Germany (Apr 29 - May 11)
- Carlos Rabassa, Montevideo (UNCONFIRMED)
- Caryl Bigenho Bigenho, Los Angeles (Apr 30 - May 8/10)
- Chris Ball, Boston (May 2 - 9)
- C. Scott Ananian, Boston (May 2 - 9)
- Cecilia Alcala, Paraguay (Apr 26 - May 4)
- Christoph Derndorfer, Vienna/Madrid (Apr 29 - May 8)
- David Farning, Wisconsin/Paraguay (Apr 28 - May 11)
- Ed Bigenho, Los Angeles (Apr 30 - May 8/10)
- Fernando Comenzana, Uruguay (UNCONFIRMED)
- Juan José Villalba, Paraguay (UNCONFIRMED)
- Koke Contreras, Perú (UNCONFIRMED)
- Laura Manolakis, Argentina (UNCONFIRMED)
- Martin Langhoff, Miami (UNCONFIRMED, arriving 1-2 days before summit?)
- Leticia Romero, Uruguay
- Nick Doiron, New Hampshire/Montevideo (May 2 only? then Summit)
- Nenny Rabassa, Montevideo (UNCONFIRMED)
- Nkubito Bakuramutsa, Rwanda (May 3 - 7)
- Pablo Flores, Montevideo
- Reuben Caron, Boston (May 5 - 8)
- Ric Holt, Canada (May 4 late afternoon - May 13)
- Samuel Seidenberg, Buenos Aires (Apr 30 - May 7)
- SJ Klein, Boston (UNCONFIRMED, arriving 1-2 days before summit?)
- Tony Anderson, Texas/Rwanda (Apr 28 - May 8)
- Betty Chaca, Santa Cruz, Bolivia (Apr 29 - May 9, CANCELLED)
- Carol Ruth Silver, San Francisco (CANCELLED)
- Harriet Vidyasagar, India (CANCELLED)
- Kacandre Bourdelais, Gabon/Canada (CANCELLED)
- Kevin Benavides, Nicaragua (CANCELLED)
- Luis Galindo, Santa Cruz, Bolivia (CANCELLED)
- Mario César Señoranis Ayala, Santa Cruz Bolivia (Apr 29 - May 9, CANCELLED)
- Rabi Karmacharya, Nepal (CANCELLED)
- Robert Fadel, Boston (CANCELLED)
- Sameer Verma, San Francisco (CANCELLED)
- Simon Schampijer, Germany (CANCELLED)
- Suzanne Adatto, Ann Arbor, Michigan (CANCELLED)
Please check out the "Accommodations" section of the Discussion and add your comments and preferences.