From Sugar Labs
- It is theoretically possible to parse the text from an SVG image and make it available for alternative translation.
- Research the availability of FOSS (Free and Opens Source Software) tools that can be used to perform internationalization (i18n) of SVG images. Write a brief report (one paragraph per tool identified) linking to the tools and assessing their flexibility.
Criteria for most useful tools:
- Capable of pulling test out of SVG images. (minimal)
- Capable of #1 and also replacing tha text with alternative text. (getting warmer).
- Capable of #1 and #2 and uses common translation file format (e.g .PO file) as output/input source. (nearly ideal solution).
By way of example, there are a suite of tools Translate Toolkit that can parse and interchange many translation file formats. Something like an svg2po/po2svg pair of scripts would be ideal.
- cjl --at-- sugarlabs.org