What follows is one community member's proposal for travel procedures.
Internal Procedure #01: "Request for Travel Policy exemptions"
Before asking for a travel advance, please consider the following questions:
- Is the travel on behalf of Sugar Labs?
- Has the trip been approved by the Sugar Labs oversight board or some designated representative of the board?
- Do the travel plans comply with the SFC travel policy?
- Do you need to have a ticket purchased on your behalf? If so, please refer to .
- Do you need cash for local travel and/or per diem expenses?
Anyone traveling on behalf of Sugar Labs may request a travel advance by sending a written request to the oversight board <slobs AT lists.sugarlabs.org>. Be sure to include the reason for your request, the amount requested, the anticipated dates of travel, and answers to the questions above.
The oversight board will discuss the request and may ask for clarification. The criteria for approval include:
- relevance to Sugar Labs
- availability of funds
It may take the board up to one week to reach its decision, so please make your request as far in advance as possible.
If the travel advance is approved (by at least four board members) then our liaison with the SFC will communicate the decision on behalf of the applicant. Note that approval by the SL oversight board does not guarantee that the SFC will approve the travel advance. (Past experience suggests that they are more likely to approve the prepurchase of a ticket than a cash advance.) The time-frame for the SFC varies widely and is outside of our control, so again, it is recommended that you make your request well in advance.