This feature has differents use case:
- - Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer
- - Allow the Sugar user to use a Network Printer
- - Allow the Sugar user to use a Network Printer sending his job to a backend like moodle (tipical scenario in classroom)
We want to resolve the first point "Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer". The use case 3 is supported now. (check it)
- Name: Daniel Castelo
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Study
- Targeted release:
- Last updated:
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Use Case 1- "Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer"
A new action "Print" will be available in some activities.
A new action "Export to PDF" will be available in some activities. In the journal the user could select an entry and send it to print (if the action "Send to print" has sense according to the type of the entry (pdf, odt, image)).
In both alternatives the user could configure some options (paper for example). Maybe a new option "Printer Configuration" will be necessary in Control Panel.
Benefit to Sugar
Users will be able to print his jobs. In the classroom will be more common the use of a network printer and a backend for manage the print jobs. The use of a printer connected directly to the computer will be more common in the student house.
- The activities in which print action has sense should add an option to export to pdf or print directly to the printer.
- The journal should be modify to add a "Send to Print" option.
- A new option "Configure Printer" could be necesary to configure the printer in the control panel.
How To Test
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
This project could be usefull to this feature: Google Summer of Code "Print Support" Project (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support).