This feature has different use cases:
- Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer.
- Allow the Sugar user to use a Network Printer.
- Allow the Sugar user to use a Network Printer sending his job to a server like Moodle (a typical scenario in a classroom).
We want to resolve the first point "Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer". The use case 3 is supported now. (check it)
- Name: Daniel Castelo
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Study
- Targeted release:
- Last updated:
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Use Case 1: Printer connected to the computer
"Allow the Sugar user to use a printer connected to the computer"
A new action "Print" will be available in some activities.
A new action "Export to PDF" will be available in some activities. In the Journal the user could select an entry and send it to print (if the action "Send to print" has sense according to the type of the entry (pdf, odt, image)).
In both alternatives the user could configure some options (paper for example). Maybe a new option "Printer Configuration" will be necessary in Control Panel.
Benefit to Sugar
Users will be able to print their jobs. In the classroom it will be more common to use a network printer and a server to manage the print jobs. The use of a printer connected directly to the computer will be more common in the student house.
- The activities in which print action has sense should add an option to export to pdf or print directly to the printer.
- The Journal should be modified to add a "Send to Print" option.
- A new option "Configure Printer" could be necessary to configure the printer in the control panel.
How To Test
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
This project could be useful to this feature: Google Summer of Code "Print Support" Project (Print Support).