OLPC (One Laptop per Child) is a non-profit association developing the low-cost laptop—the "XO Laptop". The Sugar project was originally started in support of the XO laptop, which has a number of features specific to Sugar, most notably, a number of keys dedicated to the interface.
- 1 Using Sugar on an XO
- 2 Alternate versions of Sugar
- 3 Release Testing
- 4 Random Notes
- 5 Subpage index
Using Sugar on an XO
This section tries to capture a number of OLPC-specific hints to using Sugar.
USB Ethernet adapters
See the USB Ethernet Adapters page for a list of options.
To “click”, press once on the left-hand touchpad button—the button with the × symbol at the front of the touchpad.
Please refer to the Wi-Fi Connectivity page in the OLPC wiki for details about how to connect an OLPC XO laptop to the Internet.
Alternate versions of Sugar
- 1 Hexokinase Factory / Sugar 0.94.1
- XO-1 and XO-1.5
- How to install on XO-1 and XO-1.5
- OLPC Wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_OLPC_Wiki
- OLPC Releases: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases
- OLPC Bug Tracker: http://dev.laptop.org/
- OLPC Collections: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Collections
- OLPC News: http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php
- Introduction Video: http://build.laptop.org.au/dogi/fullscreenOLPCAni.mp4
- How to install Skype: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Skype
- Dextrose 3 downloads:http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/dx3/xo1/?C=M;O=D
XO machines may experience problems with Access Points not showing in network neighbourhood, or taking a long time to be shown, especially as the number of XO laptops in a room increases. This is now fixed: On XO-4 (8787), the problem does not occur, on OLPC OS 11.3.1 and earlier the problem should not occur, and the solution is to upgrade to 13.2.1. Read more at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/12757
On XO-1.5 machines, an aggressive suspend and resume may also cause wifi to stop working. The solution is to go to Control Panel, Power, and uncheck powersaving.
Mesh Networking Deprecated
XO-1.5's do not have Mesh networking support, so they use 802.11 Ad-hoc networks. XO-1's default to Mesh networks at the moment for compatibility, because that is what they historically have done. Once an XO-1.5 starts an Ad-hoc network, the XO-1's will spot that network within a minute or two, and use the same Mayan numeral as the XO-1.5 to indicate its presence. If all the XOs leave an Ad-hoc network it disappears; but Network Manager/Sugar cache its presence for a while in case a scan accidentally missed a network. When an XO-1 sees an Ad-hoc networks they are all filled in as "occupied", because an XO-1 does not show the unfilled variants to allow an XO-1 to start them. This behavior has been around since OLPC build 10.1.3 (860) & Sugar 0.90, and is described at Features/Ad_hoc_Networking I believe XO-1's can be adjusted to default to Ad-hoc as well if desired
- software update uses http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/
- preinstalled activity list for 11.3.0 XO-1.5: http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-os-builder/tree/examples/f14-xo1.5.ini
XSCE on XO-4
- schoolserver logged in
- XS Community Server running on XO-4 as seen in f18 sugar 0.98.8 (sugar-emulator) using jabber.sugarlabs.org
Sugar 0.100.0 on the XO-4
new Sept 4, 2013
- actually sugar 0.99.0
- Install: file in USB stick: go to OK prompt fs-update U:\32010SL4.zd
- click on screenshot to enlarge - browser back (<==) to return to wiki
- Tonyforster: User:Tonyforster
- Solar Panel to charge XO-1: http://www.ilovemyxo.com/product/xo-10wattsolarpanel.html
"A customization stick is a USB flash drive with special boot files that upon reboot will install activities and content bundles, and optionally a new OS image, from the USB flash drive onto an XO. "
Make more Room
- kevix on #olpc Jul 21 2012:
you can remove any of the stuff inside /home/olpc/Activities for more space This is where the the sugar activities are stored Move them to an SD or USB Card and put them back later.