Please maintain these pages
To those entering alternate installations and experimental images: please try to organize and integrate the page for the new reader.
- Sort the information for readers from beginner to advanced.
- Delete information that is out of date or, if it is significant, link to it on an historical page.
- If you have entered information, please don't abandon it to the confusion of others. Please use your experience to organize and maintain the information so others can rapidly reach a higher level of understanding of the subject matter.
- Updated this page feb 03 2013 - satellit
Install on a USB device
(2-GB or larger USB storage device needed to run VirtualBox Images)
One could modify the instructions at VMware#One_8-GiB_stick_with_2_partitions
- Download VirtualBox OSE program, and install instead of VMPlayer.
- Boot PC from stick, and run images on same or 2nd stick.
VirtualBox appliance derived from SoaS Mirabelle
- updated 13 Oct 2010
This appliance has a traditional, non-compressed filesystem and was built by using ZyX-LiveInstaller on a SoaS Mirabelle image. (It does not simulate the stock Sugar on a Stick image with its LiveOS image with a compressed filesystem, SquashFS, for the operating system files and an optional overlay and home folder for persistence.)
These Activities have been updated: Physics-6, Record-79, Write-70, Turtle Art-99
Download these 3 files: For the first 2 files, you may need to right click and select 'Save link as...' or 'Save Target As...' because they open directly into the browser.
- Start VirtualBox
- In the top-left corner of the application menu bar:
- File -> Import Appliance...
- Note: The Import Option is not available on the OSE version of VirtualBox.
- Import option is available in VirtualBox 4.0.4 (which is ose)
- Click the <Choose...> button to find the 3 downloaded files.
- select: soas-v3-Mirabelle-zyx.ovf
- then click 'Next'
- Appliance Import Settings window appears:
- Double click on the Guest OS Type row and the right column is a dropdown selection panel. Change the value to OS: Linux Version: Fedora (from Other/unknown)
- Agree to GPL license and click the 'Finish' button.
- The Import process progress meter will appear, and then the new virtual machine named soas-v3-Mirabelle-zyx2 will appear in your VirtualBox virtual machine list.
- Click the start button or double click the machine name to start your virtual machine with Sugar.
- The first boot experience (of selecting a learner name and color set) can be recreated by erasing the /user/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key & .../owner.key.pub files from this machine before distribution.
- Can the default window size be set to simulate an XO at 832x624 pixels? Do we have a license to distribute images with Guest Additions installed?
- I found a base memory setting of 802 MB RAM. This may be too high for older computers. --FGrose 13:02, 14 October 2010 (EDT)
You may create you own virtual machine beginning with an .iso image of Sugar on a Stick
- Download http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads
- If your hardware is 64-bit capable, chose a 64-bit version.
Virtualbox 3.2.1 on 16GB Toshiba USB Running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
This is a nice portable solution for a full Gnome Desktop and Sun Virtualbox 3.2.1 (works with Hp Pavillion "Vista"Notebook) I use it to create .vdi Hard Disk images for soas-v2-Blueberry
- install Ubuntu 9.10  from CD to 16GB Toshiba USB (It will run on 8GB USB but very little room left for images)
- setup wireless networking
- Download VirtualBox: 
- Install Virtualbox
Have Fun! satellit 12/19/2009
Sugar not booting
I got Sugar to boot under VirtualBox 2.X / MacOS 10.5 following the recommended procedure. With VirtualBox 3.X something seems to be broken. Neither my old VDI nor a newly downloaded one will proceed to more than that black screen. Sad!
But don't despair: You need to get the installation ISO (380 MB) from the downloads page (Sugar on a Stick/Downloads). Add this as the CD-ROM to your virtual machine and set the first boot volume to this CD-ROM. Now Sugar works as before!
I want to give a response to the "Setup a Virtual Machine for Sugar on a Stick" (Mac Os)
I´ve installed the VirtualBox from step 1 - 6 and then i setup a virtual machine. I´ve watched the streamcast about that and i´ve done everything similar to the cast.
The Virtual Box starts, he wants to boot and then there´s a black window for hours ....
Does somebody have an idea what i´ve done wrong or what´s the problem about booting?