From Sugar Labs
Ways to run Sugar
Determine which of the various methods of running Sugar meet your needs:
- Run Sugar pre-installed in a computer
- Boot a Live CD / Live USB pre-installed with Sugar
- Suitable for trying Sugar without having to install any software on almost any computer—just boot Sugar off of a CD or USB drive. Note: When booting a Live CD, the Journal is not automatically saved on shutdown, because the boot media is readonly. All changes are lost upon shutdown or reboot. This is not a limitation for Live USB installations. See our Sugar on a Stick project page or other Live USB projects.
- Install Sugar
- Install an emulator or virtualizer and launch a bootable Sugar disk image file
- See these links to pages on the Sugar Labs wiki for GNU/Linux distributions where Sugar has been installed.
|Ubuntu||0.110||Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty|
|Debian on rpi3||0.110||Debian jessie|
|0.110||Prepared for XO laptops|
|Ubuntu on rpi3||0.110||Ubuntu 17.04|
(sugar on rpi3)
|Fedora||0.108.1||Primary distribution for Sugar (Fedora 25)|
|Sugar on a Stick||0.108.1||Live CD/USB of the Sugar Learning Environment|
|openSUSE||0.107.2||Part of the Linux for Education (Li-f-e) series|
|Trisquel Toast||0.102.0||Based on Ubuntu|
|Mageia||0.95.1||Forked from Mandriva|
|ElementaryOs||0.94.1||Based on Ubuntu 10.10 & Sweets Distribution|
|Fusion Linux||0.94.1||Remix of Fedora 16 with GNOME 3.2.1|
|Linux Mint||0.94.1||mint 13 & mint 14 Using Sweets Distribution|
|0.92.4||Prepared for XO laptops|
|Linux Mint Debian Edition||0.88.1|
Matrix of Sugar solutions
There are many ways to run Sugar:
- As a complete disk image on an existing machine;
- As a session on a Linux system; or
- As part of a complete hardware-software platform.
- A discussion of technical considerations regarding supported systems.
Sugar for various hardware systems
- OLPC XO laptops
Getting the Sugar sources
Updating Sugar to the latest version
Looking at Sugar variants
See Sugar System Stack for a picture of the software stack.
Starch is a complete disk image for Sugar.