The Activity Team develops and maintains many of the activities available for Sugar. We also encourage independent developers to write activities, and we support them in their efforts. Our goal is to ensure that Sugar provides a complete set of high quality educational, collaborative, constructivist activities.
- Develop and maintain the ecosystem of Sugar activities.
- Recruit and mentor activity developers from the community.
- Collect, document and organize new activity and activity feature ideas from the Education Team, deployments and community.
- Work with the Development Team and the Infrastructure Team to ensure activity developers are well supported.
- Gather feedback with the Deployment Team about how Sugar activities are doing in the field.
Sugar Labs Activity Author Resources
There are many Sugar Labs resources available for Activity authors, though keeping track of them when you start a new project or make a new release can be a little daunting. So the FAQ has now been updated with Sugar Labs author resources, as a helpful memory aid.
Problems logging in to Gitorious?
Gitorious users are sometimes having their IP addresses incorrectly blacklisted by OUOSL, the organization that hosts git.sugarlabs.org. If your SSH key is rejected with the error "Access denied or bad repository path", please open a ticket by emailing email@example.com.
This has happened to a number of activity authors and we are working on getting it resolved.
Wade 22:04, 6 March 2009 (UTC)
For more info see tickets:
- #418 Resolve Gitorious blacklisting issues with OUOSL
- #523 Access denied or bad repository path while pushing to git.s.o
Activity Team users on activities.sugarlabs.org
Fake emails to identify users:
- firstname.lastname@example.org activities that are supported by Activity Team
- email@example.com activities to remove
There is an Activities page where we highlight Sugar activities in the wiki. (We need to discuss how best to manage the content of this page as well as how to manage the activity-specific sub-pages.)
Interested in creating Activities, but don't know where to begin? How To Start Creating Activities might be helpful.
The Sugar Almanac content has been migrated to Sugar Labs. It's a great, quick reference when building python Activities.
A guide has been written describing how to make simple modifications to popular Sugar activities. Examples include adding sounds to TamTam, blocks to TurtleArt, buttons to Calculate, etc.
The Sugar Activity Library is our new user-facing portal for Sugar activities. The site uses the backend Mozilla built for Firefox and Thunderbird extensions at addons.mozilla.org, called Remora. To help out, check out Activity Library.
Wade 15:02, 27 January 2009 (UTC)
Activity HIG (Human Interface Guidelines)
- Activity HIG discussion
Packaging activities discussion
We are currently discussing how to package activities in the future, in order to support all distributions. Please add your comments to the following pages.
- should we remove "Activities" section from that page; all issues where moved to Activity_Status page alsroot 10:33, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Packaging ideas
Move an activity
We need help moving activities over to Sugar Labs from OLPC's servers. This is a great way to get started helping out the Activity Team. See Activity Team/How_to_migrate_from_OLPC for instructions, and Activity Team/Activity Status for the list of activities that need to be moved.
While moving activities, it would be great to check that the .pot files are up to date and the MANIFEST is correct. This will really help out the distro packagers.
Wade 17:19, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
General Overview of git and gitorious
Gitorious is the web front-end to git, the revision control system that Sugar Labs uses for project hosting. Once you have migrated your project, as an Activity developer, you may encounter some of these questions.
John Wiegley has written an overview of git: Git from the bottom up.
Charles Duran from Harvard has written a lovely overview of git at Understanding Git Conceptually.
As Sugar is integrated into more distros and the hardware base expands, it is important to keep Activity developers informed of any issues they need be aware of. For example, when Sugar was only expected to run on the XO-1 laptop, it was safe to assume that the display was always 1200x900.
The Compatibility Tips page is a place to accumulate tips.
The Activity Team always needs project ideas and suggestions. Post your ideas to Activity Team/Project Ideas.
If you see something here you would like to help with, please contact us.
Wade 17:19, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
Please check /Meetings for meeting schedules/logs.
- Activity Team/Activity Development Fedora 17
- Activity Team/Activity Microformat
- Activity Team/Activity Status
- Activity Team/Compatibility Tips
- Activity Team/Contacts
- Activity Team/Control Panel
- Activity Team/Coordinator
- Activity Team/Creating Activity Using Mono
- Activity Team/Creating a New Activity
- Activity Team/Development Sprint
- Activity Team/FAQ
- Activity Team/Getting Involved
- Activity Team/Git
- Activity Team/Git Activity Maintainer Walkthrough
- Activity Team/Git FAQ
- Activity Team/Git Introduction
- Activity Team/Git Migration
- Activity Team/Git Tutorial
- Activity Team/How to migrate from Gitorious
- Activity Team/How to migrate from OLPC
- Activity Team/Maintainers
- Activity Team/Meetings
- Activity Team/Mission
- Activity Team/Modifing an Activity
- Activity Team/New Toolbars
- Activity Team/Object Chooser
- Activity Team/Obsolete
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Native Packages
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Bugs
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Collab
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Ds
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Env
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Glucose
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Gui
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Journal
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Shell
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Statistics
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Supervisor
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Services Toolkit
- Activity Team/Obsolete/Zero Sugar Use Cases
- Activity Team/Packaging
- Activity Team/Packaging Ideas
- Activity Team/Policy for nonresponsive maintainers
- Activity Team/Project Ideas
- Activity Team/Project Ideas/Micro Messages
- Activity Team/Releasing a New Activity
- Activity Team/Remote control your XO
- Activity Team/Resources
- Activity Team/Roadmap
- Activity Team/Sample code/Ruler
- Activity Team/Sugar-sprites
- Activity Team/Sweetener
- Activity Team/TODO
- Activity Team/Testing
- Activity Team/gst-plugins-espeak
- Activity Team/pycas-client